Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braces

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I've had braces twice. Generally, the cost is about $2,000-$3,000. Many doctors do payment plans though, so you don't have to have the money up front. You should expect to wear your braces for about 2 years.

Thank you
    The new Damon braces are less noticeble and faster. I have them and I only have to wear them for 18 months, unlike the normal braces whihc require 24 months :p. There's a dentist south side of the river, very good service, excellent payment plan :3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The new Damon braces are less noticeble and faster. I have them and I only have to wear them for 18 months, unlike the normal braces whihc require 24 months :p. There's a dentist south side of the river, very good service, excellent payment plan :3.

Damon braces are just a self ligating bracket, there is absolutely nothing special about them what so ever really. Braces take between 3 months to 7 years depending on the severity of the problem and the degree to which it is corrected. The time you will spend in braces will be determined totally by these factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadAngel

Ms.cutie wrote: »
    tanx guys...uv all been really supportive...am really coming around to the idea of being numbed and hopefully sedated some bit!!! getting braces on end of may so wierdly enuf looking forward to that date so i can start treatment and sooner they come off then :)

Just wondering BADANGEL where did you end up going for treatment as in here or up north??

Ms. Cutie, I still haven't gone ahead with braces as haven't had the money. Think I'll be getting them soon and most likely in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

BadAngel wrote: »
    Ms. Cutie, I still haven't gone ahead with braces as haven't had the money. Think I'll be getting them soon and most likely in Sligo.

I don't think I can name names here, but if you're around Quayside, it's probably the same guy and I can absolutely recommend him (I got mine on December). The prices are very good too and flexible payment, you just need an initial deposit and pay the rest off before the end of treatment.
    Best of luck with them, I know its expensive, but if you're unhappy with your teeth, you'll feel so much better once they're on.

Yes, that's the place. Glad to hear you're happy! I'll make an appointment one of these days and just get it over with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mizak

Hi Ms cutie, would you send me a link about your orthodontist please. :)

By any chance, is anyone starting treatment in Sligo any time soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ms.cutie

No sorry. But hey....got braces on and they're actually grand...u get used to them in a matter of 2-3 days! they are sore but hey-no pain no gain and the pain doesnt last! im so glad to have started my treatment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dubmark74

Hi, looking to get braces for my daughter, would appreciate any recommendations on orthodontists. I live in South Dublin, preferably would like to get treatment close to home. I've been to two orthodontists and got quotes of 3,500 and 4,500 for upper and lower teeth, white ones on upper. They both said her teeth are not too bad and would need the braces for about 9 months. Wondering if this seems like good prices and if anyone knows a cheaper one.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Price seems ok to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Ms.cutie

Seems to be the going rate...Im paying just under 3500 for upper and lower, ceramic on top! Best of luck with it! :)

Thanks for the replys, I think i'll go with the 3500 so, seems to be reasonable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

dubmark74 wrote: »
    Hi, looking to get braces for my daughter, would appreciate any recommendations on orthodontists. I live in South Dublin, preferably would like to get treatment close to home. I've been to two orthodontists and got quotes of 3,500 and 4,500 for upper and lower teeth, white ones on upper. They both said her teeth are not too bad and would need the braces for about 9 months. Wondering if this seems like good prices and if anyone knows a cheaper one.
    Thanks.

Seems a bit extortionate for 9 months work. I had catastrophic teeth. Went to few orthodontists, one wanted me to have my jaw broken, quoted me something ridiculous. I ended up heading up north and getting top and bottom for 2500 pound. I had braces for 2 years.....teeth were shocking before I had braces....

Just to say, I am sure your teeth are much better now than before, but orthognathic surgery with the pre and post surgery braces is a much bigger job and would have had different results. There are plenty of orthodontist that charge less than 2500 gbp (3000 euro) for braces so long as your willing to accept compromise.

I'm a bit confused now. one person is saying 3500-4500 is a good price, others are saying you can get it done for less than 3000. Can you send me on the details of any dentist that will do top and bottom braces for less than 3000, I tried a few and they all seemed much more expensive. Even the ones in the North were similar prices. Prefer not to go North and i'd have to drive up and down a lot.

It all depends on your case. If you teeth are really crooked it will cost more, if they are not too bad it will cost less. Others peoples estimates are really not cross transferable.

The confusion arises because orthodontists dont sell braces they provide the service of straight teeth. What is necessary to do that changes from person to person. There are also now types of braces that seek to have short treatment times and not fully straighten the teeth, just enough to make the average adult patient happy. These are a bit cheaper but are not comparable to a fully course of braces. Its a confusing thing to get your head around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Just to say, I am sure your teeth are much better now than before, but orthognathic surgery with the pre and post surgery braces is a much bigger job and would have had different results. There are plenty of orthodontist that charge less than 2500 gbp (3000 euro) for braces so long as your willing to accept compromise.

I have movie star teeth now, or so I've been told. :D Shocking difference, really it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Can anyone tell me if it is possible just to get a top incisors and canines straightened? And if possible, could it be done with invisalign?

Can anyone tell me if it is possible just to get a top incisors and canines straightened? And if possible, could it be done with invisalign?

This sort of thing generally come in under the heading of limited objective orthodontics. This is usually shorter couses of braces that fix only the issues at the front of the mouth. Nearly all orthodontist offer this, however beware of one thing, if your suitable for this sort of treatment its great, but not fixing the back teeth (if needed) can cause serious stability issues and relapse. Any orthodontist or experienced general dentist can advice better.

Advertisement