Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mullaghcleevaun advice

Options
  • 18-02-2013 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

hi guys...new to outdoor pursuits..I'm thinking of walking mullaghcleevaun in the next few days..by the north slope of east top - across to mullaghc. and then back to the lackan road via black hill. I heard there are some very peaty/boggy areas around there that could be dangerous after all the recent rain...would it be best avoided or is it a case of taking the usual precautions and care?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a nasty patch of muck between East Top and Mulaghcleevaun proper, but you can avoid a lot of the worst of it by skirting around a bit to the right rather than taking a direct route. It is very wet out there at the moment, but it all depends how experienced you are at navigating through that kind of terrain really. After a few years of it you develop a bit of a sixth sense as to what bits are relatively safe to walk across, and a walking pole used as a probe helps a lot too, but even then you can still get caught out. Personally, after having gone up over my knees a couple of times and having to be pulled out, I'd not go through that kind of area on my own. Mind you it doesn't come near to the horrors of the stretch between Conavalla to Lough Firrib :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

thanks alun - did the MS1 recently and trying to log a few walks for the assessment. might try a drier route for now..I plan to go alone so a firmer route may be wiser

If you're starting at the car park at Ballynultagh Gap at the base of Black Hill, you could do Black Hill, Moanbane, Billy Byrne's Gap, Mullaghcleevaun, down to Cleevaun Lough and back to the road through one of the tracks through the forest, or via Ballynultagh. The East West map is good for finding the tracks through the forest, but beware that Moanbane and Silsean have swapped places on this map :)

sounds like a plan would that avoid the sticky bits? - thats roughly what i was considering but doing it in reverse, any idea how the streams are around there?

thanks for the feedback and advice

r

They're generally OK to cross, especially higher up where they're narrower, but as always after heavy rain, you can have problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Rantan wrote: »
    sounds like a plan would that avoid the sticky bits? - thats roughly what i was considering but doing it in reverse, any idea how the streams are around there?
    Black hill, Moanbane, Mullagh - no streams of any significance, route is muddy and wet but the peat hags aren't too bad. Navigation is a challenge in mist. As Alun says, worst bit of muck is between East & West tops, which you can avoid the worst of by walking around the edge.

Even so I don't like the idea of walking alone. I'd suggest joining a club or finding a partner.

Crossing the worst muddy bits I find spreading weight is key - walk on balls of foot and use sticks. Don't jump into muck from the lip.

thansk hmmm, I have a lolt of spare time at the moment as down to a two day work week so trying to log as many walks as possible while I have the time - hence the solo walks - I take the recommended precautions - leave a route plan with someone etc etc. Im heading out tomorrow morning so hopefully the decent weather will hold for another day or two..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Reckon your main hardship will be the wind this week, be prepared for a good icy blast! I always find it better to be too warm rather than too cold and carry a decent lunch. Solo walking has it's own rewards partic mid week in winter when there's very few others about. But you need to be self reliant and watchful, recognise when to take care. Irish hills are not particularly dangerous but a simple sprain or wrench in poor weather could easily put you in a spot of bother. Mobile phones help but don't plan on using it and of course, you may not be able to in the wrong spot.

Hi Guys thanks for feed back and advice - had a super day... conditions were great.....extremely cold alright but at least the frozen ground was easy to travel..nice to come home in February with clean boots! I follwed your route Alun...nearly came undone in the woods but got back safe in the end!

Good to hear! I was out too, Glencree, Glendoo, Knocknagun and Prince William's Seat .. it was bloody freezing, but as you say at least the ground was relatively firm underfoot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Glad you had a good day - I always think Mullaghcleevaun is a little under rated. It is in or around the 10th highest summit in Ireland. There's a large group of hills around that height but it's near the top of the pile.

you were right about the icy blast! MullaghC summit was magical...covered in thich frost and swirling white mist..well worth the cold trek up ...

Advertisement