Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III free on meteor

Options
  • 18-02-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Samsung Galaxy S III free on 24 month contract, 200 mins , 200 txt, 5gb internet.

I am on a sim only plan at the moment 15 euro for same usage as above.

But I really need an upgrade using a htc desire and the battery has had it.

Is this a good deal on the s3?.. I know its a 24 month contract but I cant see myself changing in that period. IM using a htc desire for god sake haha..

I used a working model in 3store today it seems very big ,, but thinking Il get used to that. thinking of this or the Motorola Razr I which seem nice and compact with good specs. thats 99 euro, an 25 month for 18months however.

any help welcome ,, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I looked at that for a friend. When she saw no free meteor it was a no go.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Have you neglected to mention the price? You haven't mentioned what's included with the Three deal either. Don't be blinded by the shiny new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭markg86

I looked at that for a friend. When she saw no free meteor it was a no go.....

I was offered free meteor calls and txt on 40euro a month, on a upgrade,

ballooba wrote: »
    Have you neglected to mention the price? You haven't mentioned what's included with the Three deal either. Don't be blinded by the shiny new phone.

sorry 40.66euro a month for 24months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

So that's €975.84 for the phone and usage over the duration of the two year contract.

I'd go for a Nexus 4 now that that Google seem to be sorting out their supply issues. Megathread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056795046

(Summary: Easiest way to get it is to get friend/family in the UK to buy it and post it over to you.)

16 Gig version currently works out at €320. If you stayed on your existing plan and just used the same SIM you would spend a total of €683 during the two year period.

Difference being not only the money saved but also the fact that you can switch provider if a better deal comes along for your day to day usage.

• Advertisement

Mezcita wrote: »
    So that's €975.84 for the phone and usage over the duration of the two year contract.

I'd go for a Nexus 4 now that that Google seem to be sorting out their supply issues. Megathread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056795046

(Summary: Easiest way to get it is to get friend/family in the UK to buy it and post it over to you.)

16 Gig version currently works out at €320. If you stayed on your existing plan and just used the same SIM you would spend a total of €683 during the two year period.

Difference being not only the money saved but also the fact that you can switch provider if a better deal comes along for your day to day usage.

Thing is I dont have Euro320 to spend on phone right now. I really wanted the nexus before xmas.

the way I look at it im payin an extra 25 a month for 24 months thats 600.
    The phone retails for approx 600euro at moment? so basically getting interest free loan to buy the phone. still unsure though ha

Galaxy S3 retails for under 500 here:
    http://www.expansys.de/SGS3/
    First site I looked at.

Personally I'd never sign up to a 24 month contract, but horses for courses and all that.

so the general consensus is this is a poorish deal over 24 months. considering S4 and the rest are around the corner I do badly need a phone now though. this htc desire driving me crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

markg86 wrote: »
    so the general consensus is this is a poorish deal over 24 months. considering S4 and the rest are around the corner I do badly need a phone now though. this htc desire driving me crazy

I also had a HTC Desire and looked at the options. The problem is that when you factor in what you'll pay over and above what you're already paying for the contract period, the 'subsidised' phones are sh1te value for money.

In my case the S3 Mini was available at €40 p.m. on an O2 smartphone plan over 24 months. Given that I'm currently out of contract and on a €20 p.m. deal, that means it would have cost me €480 (24 x 20) for a phone I was able to buy for under €300 sim-free and I own the phone and can move network any time I choose. No brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Thing is I dont have Euro320 to spend on phone right now.

I never get this mentality. Just save for the phone. What's the point in spending more (in the long run) to get it now when you can save now and get it cheaper when you can afford it?

Then you'll have more money for the next time you want to upgrade.

Then again, you're the kind of person who drives the economy and means i can get cheaper stuff because I do save.

On that note I think you should get the Galaxy 3 now on meteor. It's a fab phone, you know you want it. You won't be cool until you get it.

• Advertisement

TBi wrote: »
    I never get this mentality. Just save for the phone. What's the point in spending more (in the long run) to get it now when you can save now and get it cheaper when you can afford it?

Then you'll have more money for the next time you want to upgrade.

Then again, you're the kind of person who drives the economy and means i can get cheaper stuff because I do save.

On that note I think you should get the Galaxy 3 now on meteor. It's a fab phone, you know you want it. You won't be cool until you get it.

your probably an insufferable lonely bore though, savesavesave, only joking haha, i cant save at moment final year college. would make more sense to buy the nexus4 if I had the cash alright., which I did but was trying to get it since it lunched till January with no joy so spend the dosh. anyway your right I wont be cool till i get it. so I ordered it over the phone today. tread closed i suppose.

coylemj wrote: »
    I also had a HTC Desire and looked at the options. The problem is that when you factor in what you'll pay over and above what you're already paying for the contract period, the 'subsidised' phones are sh1te value for money.

In my case the S3 Mini was available at €40 p.m. on an O2 smartphone plan over 24 months. Given that I'm currently out of contract and on a €20 p.m. deal, that means it would have cost me €480 (24 x 20) for a phone I was able to buy for under €300 sim-free and I own the phone and can move network any time I choose. No brainer.

Makes slightly more sense in my case as Il be paying 600 extra over 2 years. cheapest I can find the s3 new online is 500euro, which I dont have anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

your probably an insufferable lonely bore though, savesavesave, only joking haha

Total bore :)

But if you can't afford to save then you probably can't afford to pay the monthly cost of the phone. Best save your money! You'll have loads when you graduate and earning tonnes of mula :D

TBi wrote: »
    Total bore :)

But if you can't afford to save then you probably can't afford to pay the monthly cost of the phone. Best save your money! You'll have loads when you graduate and earning tonnes of mula :D

this is true i cant afford it at all haha.. have a training contract to become an accountant when im finished, im going to make a great one :D ****e money starting too.

accountant and to think im calling you a bore,,pot kettle black ahhaha

anyway its ordered now cant wait to get my greasy paws on it :D

Makes slightly more sense in my case as Il be paying 600 extra over 2 years. cheapest I can find the s3 new online is 500euro, which I dont have anyhow.
    I'm not even buying the phone and the second site I looked at had it for under 450, imagine looking on Amazon.co.uk!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

it's around €430 on amazon uk

123 LC wrote: »
    it's around €430 on amazon uk

dam im getting fleeced so, I dont have that cash for a phone right now though so I may aswel go with this. cant stick current phone any longer

dam im getting fleeced so, I dont have that cash for a phone right now though so I may aswel go with this. cant stick current phone any longer
    At least you can write about it in your corporate finance exams. It's funny how many accountants can't grasp these concepts. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭JyesusChrist

You are as well to save that 40 a month and buy the phone pay as you go. It is not worth it in the long run to go bill pay as you will have paid for the phone and then some ( I think about 960 euro)

Advertisement