Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre Maths Paper 1 Help

Options
  • 18-02-2013 10:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Could anyone help and take their time out to tell me how to do Q.2 (c)
    Thank you, much appreciated

<image of copyrighted file removed>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluestrike

Could anyone help and take their time out to tell me how to do Q.2 (c)
    Thank you, much appreciated

I had that for Christmas and i got full marks so here, it won't be very good quality as its my phone but hopefully u can see it

Bluestrike wrote: »

I had that for Christmas and i got full marks so here, it won't be very good quality as its my phone but hopefully u can see it

Sorry, my phone won't upload it for some reason
    just put in stuff u know for sure (stuff that says only). To get A etc you have to add up the centre and the parts where that circle and another collide and take that away from amount in A

Eg: 36 in A, 7 in A and B, x in A and C, 10 in A and B and C

you would do 36-(7+x+10)
    36-(10+x)
    36-10-x
    24-x

Then put that figure in A and do same for rest
    to find x u put the total on one side and add up all the figures in the different sections. You should get the total on the left and i higher sum minus x on other. Simply use algebra to find answer then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

Sorry, my phone won't upload it for some reason
    just put in stuff u know for sure (stuff that says only). To get A etc you have to add up the centre and the parts where that circle and another collide and take that away from amount in A

Eg: 36 in A, 7 in A and B, x in A and C, 10 in A and B and C

you would do 36-(7+x+10)
    36-(10+x)
    36-10-x
    24-x

Then put that figure in A and do same for rest
    to find x u put the total on one side and add up all the figures in the different sections. You should get the total on the left and i higher sum minus x on other. Simply use algebra to find answer then

any chance you can tell me the answer because how did you get 36 if there is only 31 in a

any chance you can tell me the answer because how did you get 36 if there is only 31 in a

I was just using that as an example but the answers are
    (i) A is 12
    A union C (AUC) is 10
    A union B (AUB) is 4
    B union C (BUC) is x
    A union B union C (AUBUC) is 5
    B is 12-x (21-(4+5+x) = 21-9-x = 12-x)
    C is 7-x (22-(10+5+x) = 22-15-x = 7-x)

(ii) The maximum it can be is 7 as C is 7-x so if x was 8 it would be 7-8 and you cant have a minus number of people

(iii) I'm not fully sure with this one but i think it is 7 again because the C thing with 7-x?????

(iv) 48 = 12+4+5+10+x+12-x+7-x
    48 = 50-x
    x+48 = 50
    x = 50-48
    x = 2

I think thats it, if you have any other querries i would be happy to help :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

I was just using that as an example but the answers are
    (i) A is 12
    A union C (AUC) is 10
    A union B (AUB) is 4
    B union C (BUC) is x
    A union B union C (AUBUC) is 5
    B is 12-x (21-(4+5+x) = 21-9-x = 12-x)
    C is 7-x (22-(10+5+x) = 22-15-x = 7-x)

(ii) The maximum it can be is 7 as C is 7-x so if x was 8 it would be 7-8 and you cant have a minus number of people

(iii) I'm not fully sure with this one but i think it is 7 again because the C thing with 7-x?????

(iv) 48 = 12+4+5+10+x+12-x+7-x
    48 = 50-x
    x+48 = 50
    x = 50-48
    x = 2

I think thats it, if you have any other querries i would be happy to help :cool:

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 bosco9871

Can anyone show me how to do this Quadratic equation please.

Solve the equation x²-2x-8=0
    Hence solve the equation (y-3)² -2 (y-3) -8 =0

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

solns to quadratic are 4 and -2
    soln to second equation is got by letting y-3 equal to the solutions in the first eqn giving 7 and 1.

Advertisement