Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do cats eat 24/7 ????

• 18-02-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

I got to go get more cat food! Only got a bag I feed the outside Ferrel cat and my 2 inside cats have weird belly's. They only have been out of the usual food for 2 hours and are driving me bonkers (I was going to get more today anyway). One I kindly call my "vomit cat" cannot eat anything with food coloring or he lives up to his name, lol. Thank goodness for hard floors and washable throw rugs!

The other one is climbing my leg wanting more food and yet he has been eating all day.

Is this normal for cats to want to eat 24/7, I haven't ran out of their regular food before (dry) and have never seen them act like this!

Vomit Cat is already started eating the dogs food...and yes, he is overweight. Do you think they have eating disorders??? :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Sounds like they might need worming if they're hungry all the time. Maybe you could try a high protein kibble, I switched my 2 to a high protein low carb kibble and it reduced the amount that they eat, they also don't beg for food now. 1 of my cats used to throw up quite soon after eating as he wolfs his food down, maybe yours is a bolt eater too, which could explain the vomitting. A different kibble might sort that out it did for my cat.

But no, they shouldn't be hungry all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

You defo shouldn't be feeding them all the time especially kibble type food. Its too high in carbs and grains and this Is whats making them hungry all the time similar to a human who eats too much carbs like bread, sweets resulting in Blood sugar spike, crash, more carbs and eventually excess weight.

It's even worse when you think about a cat in the wild and how they would eat. They would never eat this type of food. Raw meat on the bone once or twice a day such as chicken, rabbit, beef is the ideal but I know this isn't convenient for most people to feed especially if its indoor cats as you don't want raw meat sitting around.

You can really good quality food on zooplus such a Grau or porta 21. It has very high meat content and they even do a grain free version of kibble which is much better than what you can buy in your supermarkets and even most of the vets. Yes it looks a bit more expensive but you can buy the 10kg bags and you get a few months out of them. The tinned food also works out the same as the supermarket ones if you buy the saver packs- I bought 24 100g cans of porta 21 for about 15 pounds on zooplus uk. To buy 24 pouches of whiskas in Tesco would be 2 1/2 boxes so you'd be paying 15 euro for much more inferior food with v little meat. To make matters worse the supermarket brands such as whiskas and felix have slyly managed to reduce the size of their pouches from 100g to 85g without reducing the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Our ones here always looking for food, every time you go into the kitchen there's a rush in the door before you, we split one pouch between them a day and there bowl is full of nuts, but if they had there way and some times do they get a pouch each in a day!!!! Don't forget your there to serve them, where a dog is a pet....

Advertisement