Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords legal requirement on furnishings

Options
  • 18-02-2013 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

Is there a definitive list on what a landlord has to put in a house when letting? Ive been on prtb and landlord.com but not seeing a list anywhere. Its a 3 bed house.

Electrical goods.
    I know Microwave and fridge/freezer must be supplied, whats this about a "fridge with a freezer unit is not suitable"
    Tellys or other brown goods not.
    Does a washing machine have to be provided? If it breaks down, whos responsible?
    Hoover?

Beds? Bedding? linen?
    sofas?
    light bulbs?
    cutlery?
    delph?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

All down to the individual, first place I rented had a fridge and cooker and that was it. We all chipped in together to buy a washing machine/freezer/microwave

If something is provided eg washing machine then the landlord usually fixes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Is there a definitive list on what a landlord has to put in a house when letting? Ive been on prtb and landlord.com but not seeing a list anywhere. Its a 3 bed house.

Electrical goods.
    I know Microwave and fridge/freezer must be supplied, whats this about a "fridge with a freezer unit is not suitable"
    Tellys or other brown goods not.
    Does a washing machine have to be provided? If it breaks down, whos responsible?
    Hoover?

Beds? Bedding? linen?
    sofas?
    light bulbs?
    cutlery?
    delph?
    Facilities to wash and dry clothes. Nothing prescriptive in terms of furnishings. Some places are let unfurnushed or partly furnished and that suits some tenants. Id imagine only student lets have bedding and linen. Most tenants have their own delph, utensils and cutlery IME.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Borderfox wrote: »
    All down to the individual, first place I rented had a fridge and cooker and that was it. We all chipped in together to buy a washing machine/freezer/microwave

If something is provided eg washing machine then the landlord usually fixes it.

I think thats the thing, I know the fridge and microwave have to be provided, the rest Im unsure of.

I did find this from an earlier posting and it helps but still no defined list.

http://www.threshold.ie/download/pdf/minimum_standards_for_rented_accommodation.pdf

A family member is in a position that they need to rent out a house and just wants to dot the i's on what theyre actually responsible for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

HOUSING (STANDARDS FOR RENTED HOUSES) REGULATIONS 2008
    Food Preparation and Storage and Laundry

8. (1) Notwithstanding Article 4, this Article shall not apply where the house is let by a housing authority under Section 56 of the Housing Act 1966 (as amended) or by a housing body approved under Section 6 of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992 .

(2) Subject to sub-article (1), there shall be provided, within the habitable area of the house, for the exclusive use of the house:

(a) 4 ring hob with oven and grill,

(b) Suitable facilities for the effective and safe removal of fumes to the external air by means of a cooker hood or extractor fan,

(c) Fridge and freezer or fridge-freezer,

(d) Microwave oven,

(e) Sink, with a piped supply of cold water taken direct from the service pipe supplying water from the public main or other source to the building containing the house and a facility for the piped supply of hot water, and an adequate draining area,

(f) Suitable and adequate number of kitchen presses for food storage purposes,

(g) Washing machine, or access to a communal washing machine facility within the curtilage of the building, and

(h) Where the house does not contain a garden or yard for the exclusive use of that house, a dryer (vented or recirculation type).

(3) All facilities under sub-article (2) shall be maintained in good working order and good repair.

(4) Responsibility for maintenance of facilities under sub-article (2) shall rest with the landlord.

thanks rc. perfect.

Has anyone any experience of being a tenant or landlord and agreeing that if something is in the house theyre responsible for it.

If for example theres a sofa, landlords not obliged to leave it but says lets say the sofa breaks through wear and tear, tenant is not repsonsible for fixing it, but landlord wont be. Is that the done thing or is LL always responsible or should they just not leave it there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

thanks rc. perfect.

Has anyone any experience of being a tenant or landlord and agreeing that if something is in the house theyre responsible for it.

If for example theres a sofa, landlords not obliged to leave it but says lets say the sofa breaks through wear and tear, tenant is not repsonsible for fixing it, but landlord wont be. Is that the done thing or is LL always responsible or should they just not leave it there?
    If its wear and tear, the LL is responsible for fixing or replacing, as the tenant rntedd the place on the understanding a sofa was provided. If it is caused damage beyond wear and tear, eg tenants dog chewed it, tenant jumped on it, the tenant is responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A family member is in a position that they need to rent out a house and just wants to dot the i's on what theyre actually responsible for.

I think your family member needs to be talked to, it really sounds from these posts that they are trying to do the bare minimum and have no idea what being a landlord is like. You're providing a home for someone, dont let them take the piss and just collect the rent every month without caring about the tenants at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

I think thats the thing, I know the fridge and microwave have to be provided, the rest Im unsure of.

I did find this from an earlier posting and it helps but still no defined list.

http://www.threshold.ie/download/pdf/minimum_standards_for_rented_accommodation.pdf

Anything that is in the apartment becomes part of the letting unless otherwise stated in the lease.

If anything that is not excluded in the lease breaks through wear and tear then the landlord will have to replace that item as it was part of the original letting.

The place could be let without furniture but you would be waiting awhile for tenants depending on the area the accommodation is.

I think your family member needs to be talked to, it really sounds from these posts that they are trying to do the bare minimum and have no idea what being a landlord is like. You're providing a home for someone, dont let them take the piss and just collect the rent every month without caring about the tenants at all!

ah stop will ya, you read those posts completely wrong, even if you think you didnt, you did.

the house is currently furnished to a high level as it was owner occupied. she wants ground rules around what to leave and what not, example, If the done thing is you leave cutlery then she leaves it, if the done thing is you dont, then she takes it with her.

At the same time, she has to protect herself, theres 47 inch telly there, she cant take it with her so what does she do? leave it there on the express understanding that if it breaks she's not responsible for it and has to replace it as it as "in house" when house was rented?

So I ask you is she a greedy landlord if she takes it with her or would you be a greedy tenant if you tried to claim a new telly off her if it broke when she only left as a goodwill gesture that she has no responsibility for?

Thats what this forum is for, asking these types of questions so we know what she has to do. not so that she knows what she can get away with.

Limericks wrote: »
    Anything that is in the apartment becomes part of the letting unless otherwise stated in the lease.

If anything that is not excluded in the lease breaks through wear and tear then the landlord will have to replace that item as it was part of the original letting.

The place could be let without furniture but you would be waiting awhile for tenants depending on the area the accommodation is.

So a lease can contain an exclusion list on which its an item in the house that theyre not responsible for?
    As per post above she has a lot of furnishings shes not taking with her so she can put down the essentials on the "responsible for" bit and the extras, with agreement from tenant, goes on the "not responsible for" list.

Or is it just better to leave the essentials and take out the extras. thanks.

• Advertisement

ah stop will ya, you read those posts completely wrong, even if you think you didnt, you did.

the house is currently furnished to a high level as it was owner occupied. she wants ground rules around what to leave and what not, example, If the done thing is you leave cutlery then she leaves it, if the done thing is you dont, then she takes it with her.

At the same time, she has to protect herself, theres 47 inch telly there, she cant take it with her so what does she do? leave it there on the express understanding that if it breaks she's not responsible for it and has to replace it as it as "in house" when house was rented?

So I ask you is she a greedy landlord if she takes it with her or would you be a greedy tenant if you tried to claim a new telly off her if it broke when she only left as a goodwill gesture that she has no responsibility for?

Thats what this forum is for, asking these types of questions so we know what she has to do. not so that she knows what she can get away with.

Read my post above. You can have items in the letting that will not be replaced at end of life as long as it is stated in the lease. Just have a list of items at the end and title it something on the lines of "Will not be replaced at end of life or in case of breakage"

EDIT: you posted before me :) Answer to your question is yes, you can have a list of excluded items in the lease.

Read my post above. You can have items in the letting that will not be replaced at end of life as long as it is stated in the lease. Just have a list of items at the end and title it something on the lines of "Will not be replaced at end of life or in case of breakage"

EDIT: you posted before me :) Answer to your question is yes, you can have a list of excluded items in the lease.

cross posted. thanks man, that answers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Less there is there less there is to have disagreements about if its damaged/missing.

It also depends on who your renting to. If its a retired couple or a bunch of students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Blimey!! If we could get an unfurnished place, we'd be in like Flynn!

I would prefer to use my own stuff rather than items bought for cheapness rather than quality. BTW - I really cannot understand why some people want linens, crockery and cutlery provided (YUK!!). It's cheap enough to provide your own and you know where it's been.

If you asked for linens, crockery and cutlery in the UK, the landlord's likely to ask if you're on crack! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

If she provides the TV, then the onus is on her to provide for a TV license for it. Just something she should be aware of...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

If she provides the TV, then the onus is on her to provide for a TV license for it. Just something she should be aware of...

Thats 110% incorrect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Wrong.

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Oops - I stand corrected. Just rechecked that - and you're all quite right. Not sure where exactly I had picked up that info...thought it was from some past boards discussion or other...

Advertisement