Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a 1 year visa in Canada worth it?

Options
  • 18-02-2013 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm trying to decide between getting a one year graduate visa in the US and getting a one year work visa in Canada once i finish my degree in May. I would much prefer to go to America but I'm put off by the various restrictions on the visa (I'm doing english and music at the moment but have no interest in carrying this on as I eventually want to go back to university and do social work, so the thought of doing an unpaid internship carrying on from that degree isnt too appealing).

Basically I'd like to know if Canada, and Toronto in particular, is a good, fun place to live. Are the people good craic? Is there a lot going on in the cities in terms of music, culture, clubs etc.? I've heard the job situation is pretty good, is that true or does the high standard of living kind of cancel it out? I'd probably go to Toronto but Montreal looks great too, though the bilingual thing might be a barrier, does anyone know if French is essential for jobs?

I know this is a very general post but I guess i'm very unsure at the moment and any and all advice about whether Canada is/isn't a good place to live and have fun for a a year would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

all the visas are gone for canada for this year you do no that?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

fb11591 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm trying to decide between getting a one year graduate visa in the US and getting a one year work visa in Canada once i finish my degree in May. I would much prefer to go to America but I'm put off by the various restrictions on the visa (I'm doing english and music at the moment but have no interest in carrying this on as I eventually want to go back to university and do social work, so the thought of doing an unpaid internship carrying on from that degree isnt too appealing).

Basically I'd like to know if Canada, and Toronto in particular, is a good, fun place to live. Are the people good craic? Is there a lot going on in the cities in terms of music, culture, clubs etc.? I've heard the job situation is pretty good, is that true or does the high standard of living kind of cancel it out? I'd probably go to Toronto but Montreal looks great too, though the bilingual thing might be a barrier, does anyone know if French is essential for jobs?

I know this is a very general post but I guess i'm very unsure at the moment and any and all advice about whether Canada is/isn't a good place to live and have fun for a a year would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

the Canada ireland iec visa is filled and is now a 2 year visa instead of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fb11591

Ah bollocks, haha, news to me! Shows how feckin organised I am...

Still any opinion on whether Canada would be worth going for? as I would still consider the 2 year if i can go for that

Ah bollocks, haha, news to me! Shows how feckin organised I am...

Still any opinion on whether Canada would be worth going for? as I would still consider the 2 year if i can go for that

it would probably be next year before you could apply for the canada visa.

well i am going to canada for 2 years all going well hopefully long term i cant wait it cant be as bad as this kip of a country anyway:)

• Advertisement

True enough, do you know is it possible to apply for that visa now or is it a case that I have to next year? I'm trying to find definite info online about it but not sure where to look?

no chance this year mate the 6350 visas went in 4 days and there is at least another 1000 on a waiting list. it will be much easier next year as there is 10,000 so i am afraid you will have to wait till next jan or feb before you would be able to apply.

ah grand cheers anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

ah grand cheers anyway!

There is a 1 year j1 for the states for graduates have you looked into it?

http://www.go4less.ie/Working-Visas/USA-12-Month-Holiday-Work-Visa/usa-visas-application.asp

There you could do that and once thats up then do the 2 years in Canada just an idea for you

Yeah I was considering the one year visa in america, its just that the restrictions on employment with that visa are pretty tight. Supposedly, according to Go4Less, your not allowed to work in the area of "arts and culture" or "education", which first of all are ridiculously broad categories and are particularly restrictive if you have an arts degree in music and english like i do! Seems all they want is mainly business and law graduates, no interest in us arts students, so dont know if i fancy doing a year long unpaid internship in some thing i'm not too interested in. Though I am still considering it, basically dont know what to do, thanks for the suggestion!

• Advertisement

Yeah I was considering the one year visa in america, its just that the restrictions on employment with that visa are pretty tight. Supposedly, according to Go4Less, your not allowed to work in the area of "arts and culture" or "education", which first of all are ridiculously broad categories and are particularly restrictive if you have an arts degree in music and english like i do! Seems all they want is mainly business and law graduates, no interest in us arts students, so dont know if i fancy doing a year long unpaid internship in some thing i'm not too interested in. Though I am still considering it, basically dont know what to do, thanks for the suggestion!

can you do the J1 visa to america, i was able to the J1 visa in my final year of degree if i recall i got mine issue in may and it didnt expire until october, I'm not sure on the restrictions of work for the J1.

do not go on a holiday and don't come back i done that and got some grilling in jfk:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭swatki

Is this true about the arts and culture , or education with the US visa :eek:?

Advertisement