Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent-Is it possible to get around work restrictions on U.S 12 month graduate visa?

Options
  • 18-02-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm trying to decide between getting a one year graduate visa in the US and getting a one year work visa in Canada once i finish my degree in May. I would much prefer to go to America but I'm put off by the various restrictions on the visa. I'm doing english and music at the moment but have no interest in carrying this on as I eventually want to go back to university and do social work, so the thought of doing an unpaid internship carrying on from that degree isnt too appealing.

Is it possible to get around these work restrictions easily? I realise that just working in a menial job like barwork is essentially illegal but do they really keep a close eye on you once your over there? I really just want to have a laugh doing a stupid job for a year rather than working in a **** intern position so if anyone has any experience or knowledge about people getting away with this kind of thing I'd really appreciate it. Bit worried about the whole thing and want to get away in May so i need to make a decisions soon!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

**** Please note that Boards.ie does not assist, instruct or condone illegal activity of any kind, including illegal immigration/ illegally working in other countries. I am going to leave this topic open as there may be legal ways for OP to get some internship in social work etc, but DO NOT discuss illegal activities. *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I had a similar problem when I finished my masters 4 years ago. A lot of the jobs in my area of study are done by college students in exchange for college credits. I investigated it but there was very little in the way of paid work. I just went to Canada instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Your employer has to fill out an internship plan and submit at least 2 performance reviews, based on this information. At the end there's whole review process too and potentially a presentation of the work you did and what you learned. It is very much geared towards an internship and it's intended to be just that.

You're not going to get pulled over by a cop asking if you're work is related to your degree but it's most certainly in violation of your visa and illegal for both you and whoever has submitted the falsified forms for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fb11591

spideog7 wrote: »
    Your employer has to fill out an internship plan and submit at least 2 performance reviews, based on this information. At the end there's whole review process too and potentially a presentation of the work you did and what you learned. It is very much geared towards an internship and it's intended to be just that.

You're not going to get pulled over by a cop asking if you're work is related to your degree but it's most certainly in violation of your visa and illegal for both you and whoever has submitted the falsified forms for you.

Cheers for clarifying the process for me, i'm finding it difficult to get definite information on the whole process from different websites.

John Mearsheimer, after having gone to Canada would you recommend it as somewhere to live? Do you regret not heading to America? Where did you end up going to and did you find work easily enough?

Cheers guys!

Advertisement