Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classics you've recently discovered

• 18-02-2013 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭

Taking inspiration from the other thread, and all the hubub over SS2, are there any classic games that you've only ever started playing recently?

In years past, once the technology outpaced the games, they would generally be lost, but with GOG and steam updating oldies for modern O.S. they can stay indefinetly.

At the weekend, i started playing Star Wars: Dark Forces. I was a fan of the series since Jedi Outcast. i actually thought it would be a bit crap but found it aged well, being surprisingly playable.

anyone else recently play an old classic for the first time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Recently played Planescape: Torment and, while it was a bit of a faff to get it all working, it really lived up to the hype, a thoroughly enjoyable and engrossing game.

I've found myself going back to a lot of the older games recently, they seem to be holding my attention better for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

Currently playing Final Fantasy VI for the first time.

I was a big fan of VII as a kid and heard that VI was as good if not better so I thought i'd give it a try on PSN.

About five hours in and it's a little disappointing. Quite tedious in terms of gameplay and the story is either slow to develop or just a bit crap. I'll give it a while yet before I move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Recently played Planescape: Torment and, while it was a bit of a faff to get it all working, it really lived up to the hype, a thoroughly enjoyable and engrossing game.

I've found myself going back to a lot of the older games recently, they seem to be holding my attention better for some reason.

Obligatory Quarryman-Planescape-Torment-related approval reply.

2lHZ1.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i tried to give planescape another go last month.. got about 3 hours in and it crashed, and kept crashing

i'll go back to it again later in the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Got myself an xperia play last week so can finally get back to some old classics that I couldn't stick with because of the touch controls on my old phone. Playing Chrono Trigger for the first time at the moment and its still a great game, great art style and music, good fun gameplay, well defined characters and an interesting complex storyline with plenty of humour thrown in, still holds up really well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've started playing X-Com: UFO Defense recently. Heard a lot of PC gamers saying it was the best game ever made. Had a quick go of it. Now I can't stop playing and can see why it's regarded as one of the greatest games of all time. Absolute classic.
    Firehen wrote: »
    About five hours in and it's a little disappointing. Quite tedious in terms of gameplay and the story is either slow to develop or just a bit crap. I'll give it a while yet before I move on.

Your problem is playing the PSN version of the game. If you are playing the PS1 version it's absolutely ruined by long loading times that make the game very slow paced. If you are playing the european PAL version it's worse since the game is 20% slower still. The original SNES release is a really fast paced and fun game while the PS1 release is a chore and a significantly worse game. To make matters worse they ruined the gorgeous SNES soundtrack as well. The loading is really ridiculous with long load times of about 30 seconds before and after every battle, between each screen and even when accessing the menu. Also there's a timed section later where you can save a character if you do it fast which is nigh on impossible because the timer still counts down during the before and after battle load screens.

If it's on Wiiware it's the way to go or emulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Well I'm after finishing off Ocarina of Time on the Wii. Thought it was great although the camera wasn't great in certain places. Not sure if it was meant as a remake, but if I remember right, Twilight Princess is very similar to OoT. A lot of the areas seem identical but I played TP a good bit ago now and it was the first proper Zelda I played. I have Wind Waker to play through next, just going to take a break from Zelda games.

Currently playing through Jet Set Radio and Final Fantasy IX on my Vita.

The only other classic game I have any interest in now is Super Metroid since it gets mentioned an awful lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've started playing X-Com: UFO Defense recently. Heard a lot of PC gamers saying it was the best game ever made. Had a quick go of it. Now I can't stop playing and can see why it's regarded as one of the greatest games of all time. Absolute classic.

I only played x-com for the first time a year or two ago. It's not an amazing game "for its time", it's an amazing game.

Never was able to finish it though because the alien bases bugged out for me.

Played Master of Orion 2 for the first time recently. Absolutely outstanding game. Pretty tough (playing on normal), but I find picking/creating a race with the creative trait + building ships packed with MIRVS sorts everything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Polar101

Maybe not 'classics' as such, but I got the Stronghold series in the Steam Christmas sale and have put about 60 hours into the games since. Didn't think games released in 2001 and 2002 would be all that great to play now, but I guess I was wrong. It's been a lot of fun so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Started up Earthbound due to the other thread. Nice sense of humour to it and I'm enjoying it but damn it's tough and I've never been a huge fan of turn based combat so I find the grinding a bit dull. Thankfully though the enemies are visible on screen and you don't have random unseen battles. How games that came after it didn't learn this lesson shocks me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Started up Earthbound due to the other thread. Nice sense of humour to it and I'm enjoying it but damn it's tough and I've never been a huge fan of turn based combat so I find the grinding a bit dull. Thankfully though the enemies are visible on screen and you don't have random unseen battles. How games that came after it didn't learn this lesson shocks me.

I'm gonna guess you're still in Onett? Yeah don't worry, along with the pogo punks and Frank it's hands down the hardest part of the game. Just put on a podcast and grind to level 10 filling your inventory with hamburgers, get the new baseball bat from the general store too if you can afford it.

OT: Played Secret of Mana for the first time lately, couldn't believe how hard it was without magic, the difficulty falls off a cliff after though, to a hilarious degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

ShooterSF wrote: »

Believe it or not, it has another lesson in store that few games have taken notice of since.

Also, if you're playing it through emulation; be sure you've got a cracked copy, and not one that's got the anti-copying measures in place.

It's got the most brilliant/cruelest anti-piracy measures in place. There's extra enemies in the overworld, the game's is brutally hard, and when you finally get to the end boss, it freezes, and when you reset it, you'll find it's deleted your save.

I make note of this, as I wouldn't classify Earthbound/Mother 2 as that difficult. The whole thing is paced to be a breezy adventure you can take your time with if you want, and not something that'll bore you with grinding and whatnot. The original Mother, on the other hand........**** me! It says a lot when you have an emulation team working on cracking the difficult down to an okay-ish level.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

I make note of this, as I wouldn't classify Earthbound/Mother 2 as that difficult. The whole thing is paced to be a breezy adventure you can take your time with if you want, and not something that'll bore you with grinding and whatnot. The original Mother, on the other hand........**** me! It says a lot when you have an emulation team working on cracking the difficult down to an okay-ish level.

He might want to grind some caterpillars in the desert though. Four side Mall is impossible to leave once entered and has potential 1-shot enemies. The Star Man base can also be torture if your low health recoveries / Jeff bombs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Went onto GoG, bought Theme Hospital last night. Still a great game, but there's a few bugs which makes you need to quit/reload.

Suprised there hasn't been anything similar in recent years, even a remake or something. I'd love if they made the Prison Architect game in this style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Went onto GoG, bought Theme Hospital last night. Still a great game, but there's a few bugs which makes you need to quit/reload.

Suprised there hasn't been anything similar in recent years, even a remake or something. I'd love if they made the Prison Architect game in this style.
    You might like Dungeon Master maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

SeantheMan wrote: »

There's a community open source project for theme hospital that sorts out the bugs + updates the resolution options. I miss bullfrog, they made insanely good games.

http://code.google.com/p/corsix-th/
    You might like Dungeon Master maybe

You mean dungeon keeper? Evil genius is a pretty good game too. Bit rough with a few bugs, but well worth playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

i tried to give planescape another go last month.. got about 3 hours in and it crashed, and kept crashing

i'll go back to it again later in the year

I had problems with it crashing too, had something to do with the maps though I can't remember what it was now I essentially had to fix the map file. Were you running any mods?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just the widescreen and the UI mod, nothing else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Even before I knew that a third instalment had been announced in The Longest Journey series I had started a replay of the original. Still highly highly enjoyable. Can't wait to get home to play it tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Believe it or not, it has another lesson in store that few games have taken notice of since.

Also, if you're playing it through emulation; be sure you've got a cracked copy, and not one that's got the anti-copying measures in place.

It's got the most brilliant/cruelest anti-piracy measures in place. There's extra enemies in the overworld, the game's is brutally hard, and when you finally get to the end boss, it freezes, and when you reset it, you'll find it's deleted your save.

From what Ive read emulators have no problem running legit versions of the ROM (all hypothetical of course ;) ) and my game doesn't seem to have added enemies. I just need to level up my two buddies a bit more I'd say and avoid those damn mushrooms and their confusion after leaving a certain village you must be fond of based on your username!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Aye, it's a decreasing problem over the years, but you'd be surprised that you'll still get some who have come out with a sour opinion of Earthbound, due to either running it on a crappy emulator, or getting a hacked ROM that somebody's posted as a prank, and being left with an anti-piracy copy.

Not that I'm implying you're playing it on anything but a legit cart. Congrats, by the way, on winning the lotto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Played Megaman 2 on the NES as a kid once or twice... Started to play it again recently. What a game, so good. Character design and levels are awesome.

Advertisement