Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transactions in Limbo ?

Options
  • 18-02-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Anybody have any experience of this ? deposited a small amount (20e) into my Paddy Power account but it never actually went in, it is in my pending transactions in my bank account, rang the bank they are blaming PP, was talking to PP they blaming the bank..

I actually changed my card details this morning (new AIB laser debit card)

What happens now and what happens my money ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The transaction may have been authorised (which is basically just a check the card number is real, there are funds available etc). when an authorisation request is made, banks can put a temporary hold on the amount while they wait for it to come through.

If for some reason the transaction with PP didn't complete after the authorisation (tech issues etc), the authorisation will remain on your account (as the bank doesn't know an actual debit it's not coming), but will drop off after a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Falconno4

BuffyBot wrote: »
    The transaction may have been authorised (which is basically just a check the card number is real, there are funds available etc). when an authorisation request is made, banks can put a temporary hold on the amount while they wait for it to come through.

If for some reason the transaction with PP didn't complete after the authorisation (tech issues etc), the authorisation will remain on your account (as the bank doesn't know an actual debit it's not coming), but will drop off after a few days.

Thanks for the reply Buffybot. So I just wait it out, do you know how long it usually takes ?

Actually not sure where the 20e will show up, in my PP account or back in my own bank account.

It varies, but you're probably looking at about 4/5 days.

If it happened as I described, the money hasn't actually left your account, it's just been "put to the side" temporarily, so it can't be spent. This is because the bank thinks a charge is coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Buffybot is correct in that the charge that appears on your statement is just a shadow charge and settlement of the funds has probably not yet occurred. Transactions are batched with their payment service provider, which are settled on a nightly basis with their Acquiring bank, who route the held funds from your bank in to Paddy Power's account. However, By the response from the credit card company through the acquiring bank and payment service provider when you click submit on their payment form will provide paddy power with enough information to credit your account in real time. I would contact Paddy Power's support. Shadow charges can last for up to 28 days.

Thanks for the replies.

The bank are saying it's PP fault and PP are blaming the bank ! I had a feeling it would turn out like this from conversations with both parties yesterday, it is currently with PP's 'payments team'

I guess the answer I am trying to get is how long the amount will be 'in limbo' for, didn't think this day and age money could be stopped like this all, I mean will Paddy Power still take the cash, or will it just drop back into my account at a various stage.

• Advertisement

Folks here can't cay for certain.

But it's has not *left* your account. Think of your account as your house, and the amount as one room that's currently locked and you won't be able to get into it for a few days.

I'm not sure what the "this say and age" thing is about: this is how all card payments work. Otherwise, what would stop people for buying something, then buying more stuff, and then when the companies come to claim payment, your account is empty. Authorisation is there to stop that. The placing of a temporary hold on funds you've commited to pay someone else until they claim it

There's not much point in ringing the bank. If the transaction failed, probably very little point in ringing PP as they may not have even got the money (though if their payments team has any skill, they might at least confirm if it failed totally). However, if it didn't instantly appear on your PP account, then for whatever reason it probably just didn't complete the purchase completely. However the bank don't know that, so it's computers will hold the money temporarily waiting for it to be claimed and whne it isn't..the hold disappears.

Folks here can't cay for certain.

But it's has not *left* your account. Think of your account as your house, and the amount as one room that's currently locked and you won't be able to get into it for a few days.

I'm not sure what the "this say and age" thing is about: this is how all card payments work. Otherwise, what would stop people for buying something, then buying more stuff, and then when the companies come to claim payment, your account is empty. Authorisation is there to stop that. The placing of a temporary hold on funds you've commited to pay someone else until they claim it

There's not much point in ringing the bank. If the transaction failed, probably very little point in ringing PP as they may not have even got the money (though if their payments team has any skill, they might at least confirm if it failed totally). However, if it didn't instantly appear on your PP account, then for whatever reason it probably just didn't complete the purchase completely. However the bank don't know that, so it's computers will hold the money temporarily waiting for it to be claimed and whne it isn't..the hold disappears.

True enough and do appreciate the advice. Will it still go to PP ? or drop off totally and show up in my account after a few days ?

That's the thing we simply can't tell you. We don't know for certain that there was/wasn't a technical glitch on PP's side. Folks can only speculate.

A simplistic view of the purchase process would be like this

1) You press "Purchase"
    2) Amount is authorised with your bank
    3) PP's system is told all is ok with the card, Amount is added to your PP account
    4) You go and spend
    5) PP bill your card
    6) Amount is properly deducted from your account, shows up on your statement

It sounds like something went wrong between step 2 and 3. It can happen, and if it has it means PP haven't got your money, the bank still does. However, the bank has no idea that PP may have had a tech glitch, so it's still sitting patiently waiting for step 5 to complete, which it won't. When it doesn't, or after whatever timeframe the bank has set itself beore calling "enough", that authorisation will drop off.

That's the thing we simply can't tell you. We don't know for certain that there was/wasn't a technical glitch on PP's side. Folks can only speculate.

A simplistic view of the purchase process would be like this

1) You press "Purchase"
    2) Amount is authorised with your bank
    3) PP's system is told all is ok with the card, Amount is added to your PP account
    4) You go and spend
    5) PP bill your card
    6) Amount is properly deducted from your account, shows up on your statement

It sounds like something went wrong between step 2 and 3. It can happen, and if it has it means PP haven't got your money, the bank still does. However, the bank has no idea that PP may have had a tech glitch, so it's still sitting patiently waiting for step 5 to complete, which it won't. When it doesn't, or after whatever timeframe the bank has set itself beore calling "enough", that authorisation will drop off.

So there is no set time either way of when it will drop back in, would be longer than this week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Paddy Power will be able to tell you the result of the authorisation request.

• Advertisement

:cool:
    Falconno4 wrote: »
    So there is no set time either way of when it will drop back in, would be longer than this week ?

Possible, it would vary from bank to bank.

:cool:

Possible, it would vary from bank to bank.

Still nothing, be next week I assume sometime. :)

Advertisement