Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have to wear a suit to a wedding?

• 18-02-2013 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭

Ok, a cousin of mine is getting married next month. I haven't seen him, or that side of the family for near seven years.
    Wedding is in Offaly at a castle.

I'm 20 years old, do I have to wear a suit? is there like an unwritten rule demanding suits haha.
    I don't own a suit, but do have the means to buy/rent a suit.
    I'm not mad into suits, hence the thread.

Thank you. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

I don't think I've ever been to a wedding without seeing someone not in a suit, maybe just get a formal pants and shirt if you don't like a full suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

I don't think I've ever been to a wedding without seeing someone not in a suit, maybe just get a formal pants and shirt if you don't like a full suit.

Yeah that's the problem I've noticed, it just seems like common practice to wear a suit for these gatherings. I've never liked the idea but looks like I'll have to bite the bullet. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

It's a formal occasion so, yes, wear a suit. You don't have to spend huge money on it; I think M&S do decently priced suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Yeah I hate suits too, but its pretty much mandatory for a wedding. The Jacket may be optional tho, you'd get away with slacks a shirt and a tie IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's a formal event, so at the very least a smart shirt, tie and pants would be required. A suit is obviously best.

On the plus side, any man's appearance is instantly improved by a good-fitting suit. So think of it as an investment in your attractiveness :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

You need to wear a suit, but because of your age you could get away with not wearing a tie (that is, pants, jacket and a nice shirt). I have been to plenty of weddings where people not in the wedding party wear a suit but no tie, just open collar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can pick up a nice suit with a shirt for €100 or less in M&S.

If you turn up in jeans and a shirt, you will look like you belong at the children's table.

If the suit fits properly you'll enjoy wearing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

At twenty years of age, you might as well get a suit. You're done growing at this stage so I would invest in a decent quality and decent fitting suit that isn't shiny, overly skinny or have horribly cut peak lapels.

You won't just have it for the wedding but for other future occasions where you will need a suit, such as job interviews, so make sure it's a simple, tasteful one.

Just personal preference but I hate the trousers, shirt and tie look, all I can think of is 'Where did they leave their jacket'.

I can see where you all are coming from, have reached that matured age now haha. I'll most likely buy a cheap suit or rent as I'm currently on the way to loosing about 1.5-2 stone. Thanks for the heads ups with M&S. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Invest €20-50 in getting the cheap suit altered to your fit. It will increase the looks of the suit tenfold.
    And then don't ruin it by wearing battered oul shoes. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Loreida

Yes, definitely wear a suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ShM

I think once your over the age of 17, you've got too wear at least slacks and a shirt. Jacket and tie optional !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

OP No need for a tie these days. It's completely acceptable to wear a well fitted suit with a good shirt and open collar. In fact I think it looks smarter. Obviously interviews can be an exception although less and less so thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I've been to a couple of weddings when people have decided to wear jeans and runners..... RUNNERS! So when the jackets came off later in the evening he looked like he was in a pub. No one could quite believe that he'd be that rude.

Not only did they look out of place, but I also felt it was disrespectful of him.

In some of the family wedding shots at a wedding I was at the guys shoes are visible (it was a brother in law) and it was one of the first things you'd notice.

Get a suit and wear it with a smile. Get a decent one and you'll be happy to wear it. Make the effort and you'll get complements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I've been to a couple of weddings when people have decided to wear jeans and runners..... RUNNERS! So when the jackets came off later in the evening he looked like he was in a pub. No one could quite believe that he'd be that rude.

Not only did they look out of place, but I also felt it was disrespectful of him.

In some of the family wedding shots at a wedding I was at the guys shoes are visible (it was a brother in law) and it was one of the first things you'd notice.

Get a suit and wear it with a smile. Get a decent one and you'll be happy to wear it. Make the effort and you'll get complements.

+1, I really dislike the increasingly casual attitude people have to just about any occasion, especially weddings and funerals. Maybe it is just how I was brought up :confused:

I don't think anyone expects people to go around in full morning dress just to buy some milk and bread but the unwillingness of some people to dress appropriately for a given occasion boggles me.

OP that's not aimed at you at all as I know you were genuinely asking, just a general trend I've observed in my own social circles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Just on the topic of investing in a decent quality suit....

I have to go to the odd black tie with work. I just wasnt prepared to invest in a decent quality tux that I would wear once a year.

So I bought a cheap as chips tux from M&S, and a decent shirt.

Suit was €80......looks good, cant say I would notice the difference if I had spent €200 more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Sugar Free wrote: »
    +1, I really dislike the increasingly casual attitude people have to just about any occasion, especially weddings and funerals. Maybe it is just how I was brought up :confused:

I don't think anyone expects people to go around in full morning dress just to buy some milk and bread but the unwillingness of some people to dress appropriately for a given occasion boggles me.

OP that's not aimed at you at all as I know you were genuinely asking, just a general trend I've observed in my own social circles.

I noticed that with one relation......wore the top hat and tails and cummerbunds for his own wedding.....but for everyone elses he wears jeans and shirt not even tucked in.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

A suit for a day go to penny's suit(trousers and jacket) 55€ shirt and tie a tenner..them suits are decent fit and if its just for a day why spend ridicolpus money on everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Yes, you have to wear a suit; You don't need to spend crazy money. Avoid Penneys if you're not skinny & scrawny, most of their suits/jackets seem to be cut just for that type of body. M&S is probably your best bet for something that will look nice, have decent quality and won't break the bank.

You can theoretically get away with no tie, but it's really hit and miss; Depends on the type of suit, shirt and situation - for example, no tie would be perfectly fitting at an August wedding in southern Spain, a bit less justified in Dublin in March.

Also, you'll be surprised about how comfortable it feels: men that always wear jeans almost never realize how stiff, tight and compressing even the wider cuts are; Your "jewels" will thank you for a few hours of relative freedom :)

Finally, always carry this in your mind:
    137437_v0_600x.jpg

Thanks for all the advice people! @Oldgoat, where could I get a suit tailored to fit?

On a side note I was talking to my aunt (mother of groom) and she said she was surprised I asked about wearing a suit, she assumed all the guests my age would be in jeans as she knows that's what my other cousins are planning on wearing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Any alterations will do it for you. A A search of this forumm will give you a few names. Check in your local dry cleaners for ads. If you still don't find any I'll get a few numbers for you.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Any alterations will do it for you. A A search of this forumm will give you a few names. Check in your local dry cleaners for ads. If you still don't find any I'll get a few numbers for you.

I'll do a quick google search and see if any around my area, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

I am well beyond the wrong side of 50, and I do not wear a suit to weddings or such like. Anyway, I do not own a suit. As the fella said "I am who I am".

cnoc wrote: »
    I am well beyond the wrong side of 50, and I do not wear a suit to weddings or such like. Anyway, I do not own a suit. As the fella said "I am who I am".

Well, I am who I am also yet I dress well for special occasions.

What do you wear to weddings / funerals etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

Slacks with an open neck shirt.

cnoc wrote: »

Well, I am who I am also yet I dress well for special occasions.

What do you wear to weddings / funerals etc?

Advertisement