Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport renewal

Options
  • 19-02-2013 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick question, I have applied for a 2 year IEC visa, and passed the kompass eligibility. My current passport is set to expire in August 2014, and I'm in Canada already under an IEC visa. My current visa is set to expire in October 2013.

My question is this. Can I apply for an IEC visa, under my current passport which will not expire for some time, then renew my passport, and still get a 2 year Visa when I activate it when I "flagpole" in Buffalo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Yes you can. Just do a quick search on this forum or look at the FAQ on the IEC website and you'll find the answer. When you're at your port of entry activating your visa you just need to explain that you've changed your passport since you were granted the visa, and it's advisable to have a photocopy of your old passport with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Thanks Bopper!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ASBO

Not to put a dampener on this but girlfriend in similar situation and from our understanding you would only be granted a visa for duration of passport which you apply on? If you find something that clarifies this issue please post, I'll do same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

My passport's ID page is a bit bent, I'm unsure what to do as I assume it might cause trouble when I get to immigration but applying for a new one would give me a new number surely?

My one doesn't expire for another 8 years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

ASBO wrote: »
    Not to put a dampener on this but girlfriend in similar situation and from our understanding you would only be granted a visa for duration of passport which you apply on? If you find something that clarifies this issue please post, I'll do same.

As I said it's in the FAQ of the IEC website. The last question under the heading "General FAQ"

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx?view=d

Also on this page http://www.moving2canada.com/planning/iec-visa-2013/

Q: I’m on my first year IEC but my passport is scheduled to expire during the 2-year period of my second IEC visa?
    A: Two options:

If you keep your current passport, you will only be issued a work permit valid until the expiry date of your passport.

Another option is to apply for the 2013 initiative with a current passport, but enter Canada on a new, renewed passport. When entering Canada, you must notify the border service officer of this change so that a work permit may be issued in accordance with your new passport information. We recommend that you bring a photocopy of previous passport along with your current valid passport for presentation at the port of entry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement