Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4s issues

• 19-02-2013 12:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

I'll try to keep this as concise as possible.

My phone was water damaged some time ago (dropped in 4 foot water for 10 sec). It was messed up in the following week. (It went through various phases, no brightness, home button not working, wouldn't turn on etc etc). After leaving it dry for a week (in a bowl of rice), it seemed to be fixed. The only issue was my flash was always on, not fully, but the light was on nonetheless. I tried to leave the phone die, the light stayed on even though the phone was off.

Over some times (week or two), the light faded, and has stayed permanently like this for the past month. The phone was fully operational apart from this. It got slightly wet last week in the rain, but not overly so.

In any case, this has triggered some issues. One: The sound isn't working very well, the sound bar disappears intermittently. Once I get the sound bar to appear, sound will play normally, perfectly well. Usually I connect/disconnect from a charging port to achieve this. I had this problem before after some less severe water damage, and it disappeared some days later. Note the problem is not present when headphones are connected. But now to the most pressing current issue: When my phone is in standby, it turns off. This has been occurring for a few days (since it got wet, around that time at least). I can turn the phone back on, and it will be fully functional as long as I'm using it. I can put in it and out of standby easily, but if I leave it in standby for more than maybe 30 sec, it will turn off completely. This issue does not occur when the phone is charging.

Thank you for reading,does anyone have any solutions for these issues? In order of importance:

-The turning off/on
    -The sound
    -The weak flash being on 24/7

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

As you say - water damage. Solution ... new iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Give it a hard reset just to see, though 10 seconds in water is bad. My daughter's fell in for a second or two and was fine after being left in rice for 24 hrs recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

naasrd wrote: »
    Give it a hard reset just to see, though 10 seconds in water is bad. My daughter's fell in for a second or two and was fine after being left in rice for 24 hrs recently.

It's haywire on me. Stuck on Apple logo, with code appearing (requesting memory blocks or something). Then the whole screen going red. Then grey with some lines across it. Then it worked, but the screen was flashing. Now it seems to be working normally (albeit the LED is weakly shining "as per normal"). All this over the course of today... Hopefully it settles down.

Gumbi wrote: »
    It's haywire on me. Stuck on Apple logo, with code appearing (requesting memory blocks or something). Then the whole screen going red. Then grey with some lines across it. Then it worked, but the screen was flashing. Now it seems to be working normally (albeit the LED is weakly shining "as per normal"). All this over the course of today... Hopefully it settles down.

My daughter's went through some crazy stuff too then settled down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Its not settling down, the components on the logic board inside are corroding, you can get it removed and professionally cleaned, this might fix your problems but could make them even worse as depending on how bad the corrosion is parts may just drop off the board.

I'd always advise anyone who's phone got wet to have it properly cleaned asap regardless of if it starts working again as once the logic board gets wet corrosion starts

Rice doesn't dry a board quick enough, the Hoover is a much better option, 20mins with the hoover and maybe leave in rice after if you want to be really safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Its bot settling down, the components on the logic board inside are corroding, you can get it removed and professionally cleaned, this might fix your problems but could make them even worse as depending on how bad the corrosion is parts may just drop off the board.

I'd always advise anyone who's phone got wet to have it properly cleaned asap regardless of if it starts working again as once the logic board gets wet corrosion starts

Rice doesn't dry a board quick enough, the Hoover is a much better option, 20mins with the hoover and maybe leave in rice after if you want to be really safe
    Thanks, I'll see what I can do. I need to get the special screwdrivers that will allow me to open the phone first.

Its not settling down, the components on the logic board inside are corroding, you can get it removed and professionally cleaned, this might fix your problems but could make them even worse as depending on how bad the corrosion is parts may just drop off the board.

Great tip.

Advertisement