Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi auto centre fire rifle, anyone got one?

Options
  • 19-02-2013 12:50am
    Site Banned Posts: 4

Well anyone got one?? What did you have to do to get one? For example is it possible to get say an ar10/15 in a 223 converted to a straight pull and get it licensed easier?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Ill be honest I have limited education when it comes this this type of licenses but I'd say it would be restricted and very hard to get.

I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

They're restricted, there are several licenced in the country at the moment, and the criteria are the same as for any other restricted firearms licence - good reason, safe place to use it, secure storage, etc, etc, etc...

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Abe_froman

Well realistically what is a good reason in the eyes of the Garda? And safe storage? How about in my house in a large safe monitored alarm and at a rifle range?

I've herd storied bout people Licencing them as there "left handed" we'll I'm not. I'm right handed.

Is it that crazy to anyone outside the shooting community to understand the its just another firearm that we/me as a shooter would like the pleasure to learn and master this discipline of shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

No one is going to tell you how to get one as if you don't have a real reason for having one you would be committing fraud when submitting your application and they would be part of it. They won't just licnece one because you want to shoot one that is why they have the restricted category. And yes you could licence one as unrestricted if it was a straight pull but if the super thinks it looks like an assault rifle then he can say you need a restricted licence and just say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

http://www.lannertactical.com/AR15-UK-Straight-Pull-Rifles.html

UK has at least one who makes straight pull ARs, looks like about $1600E. There are several vids on line of folks using them, in places like UK & Australia where semi-autos are restricted. Here is a nice looking one with a pretty smooth operation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR4u0MCkq18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

They don't all look like ARs.

GunTest2011_Sauer.jpg

Sauer 303, in its natural environment.

Sauer-303-Visier%20.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Abe_froman

juice1304 wrote: »
    No one is going to tell you how to get one as if you don't have a real reason for having one you would be committing fraud when submitting your application and they would be part of it. They won't just licnece one because you want to shoot one that is why they have the restricted category. And yes you could licence one as unrestricted if it was a straight pull but if the super thinks it looks like an assault rifle then he can say you need a restricted licence and just say no.

I'm not talking about telling me to how or help me get round the law. What I asked was is my alarmed monitored home, with my approved safe with the rest of my licensed firearms. Do I need something else?

Yes you need a valid reason why you need a restricted firearm over an unrestricted firearm that can do the same thing. That was my point you can't have one just because you want one and have the security you need a valid reason. You would have to tell them why you need a semi-auto .223 when you can easily licence an unrestricted bolt gun in .223 The licence would be being granted by the chief superintendent so if you decide to do something illegal with it it will be on his head and they have'nt gotten into that position by cocking things up which is why you will find it difficult in getting the licence most people who have them have won the right in court simply because if anything happens then it was'nt the super who granted the licence then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

There are a few makers of straight-pull variants and even built-from-scratch centre-fire rifles and carbines here in the UK , Southern Gun Company, Mark Bradley [founder of the British practical rifle sport] and others.

These guns are NOT converted from semi-auto, but are built from the get-go as manually operated firearms. They include ALL the variants of the current ARs in service in the US armed forces, the Dragunov SVD sniping rifle, the Steyr AUG, and others. Prices are NOT easy to cope with, however, as they are totally bare of any add-ons, and you'll need a bipod for a start - the usual model is the Atlas, at around 250-300eu.

If I was going for such a firearm, I'd be getting one from Mark Bradley, an Irishman who knows ALL there is to know about this type of firearm, as it was he who developed it in the wake of the 1988 semi-auto centre-fire firearm. However, bear in mind that here in the UK we might be prohibited from having a centre-fire semi-auto, but we STILL compete as civilians in so-called military-style matches in the practical rifle competition part of the NRA - that's four positions, and moving between distances - all of which is presently classed as military training in the RoI.

However, please note that we do NOT also use grenades, under-barrel launched munitions, miniature drones or any form of guided or unguided missiles in our practices, nor do we shoot in gas-masks, or simulate casualties, ALL of which ARE part of REAL military training for combat situations - we don't have fire-support machineguns either.

It has to be remembered that the NRA was founded in the wake of the Volunteer Rifle Shooting Organisation, in which every male citizen of the UK might be expected to shoot well enough to become part of 'well-regulated militia' in defence of the realm, should the need have arisen.

There are a couple of members of the VCRAI who have semi-auto centre-fire rifles - why not get in touch with them or speak to John Kavanagh at Fingal sports in Naul - he'll tell you all you need to know.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You'll have a hard time getting it by the Chief Super if it looks like something a soldier carries, resembling assault weaponry and all that.

If you really need a semi center fire you'll be better of from an ease of licencing point of view going for a purpose built hunting gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Get up next Sat to the AGM of the NASRPC Citywest Hotel, Saggart, Co. Dublin at 3pm Saturday 23rd February 2013 .
    AND VOTE on two propositions to allow the NASRPC to run competitions for semi auto rifles and multi shot pump and semi auto shotguns.:)

You now have an opportunity to have good reason for owning a semi rifle or restricted shotgun..All it requires is you getting off your ass and going and voting for this.Simple!!!!:)
    Well anyone got one?? What did you have to do to get one? For example is it possible to get say an ar10/15 in a 223 converted to a straight pull and get it licensed easier?

As one of the "filthy few":D who owns one of these doomsday devices.I can tell you its not easy but it can be done. Bastardising it into a rather awkward bolt action is not really an option.As then it still has the evilllll black looks that make it all the deadlier.:rolleyes::rolleyes: if the AR is awkward then some of the rest will be horiffic in ergonomics as bolt actions.However the AR can be also converted to lever or pump action,via the pistol grip by above mentioned Southern Guns. But INMHO why waltz when you can rock'n'roll??:D
    What to do to get...Import from the US,gave a half dozen reasons and took my CS to court...Twice!! OTOH,I have heard of lads who have these and have had little or no trouble getting them reliscensed..Its all up to how you play the game and your reasons for wanting one.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Excellent suggestion on the Sauer 303, a really nice rifle. Since looks matter, if you have trouble, just go for the "civilian" semi-auto option, one very plausible justification being the need for quick follow shot to ensure clean kill in broken terrain or on hunted property. Or, if you're looking for something "military" style that's really fast, see if you can get one of these licensed :)

14b8arq.jpg

Trouble is with them fine guns ,is they aren't made in Left hand..So I'm being oppressed and discriminated against right there.:P
    However if you want a fine bunch of civillian type semis that have been around for yonks and are in some good hunting calibers.

The Remington Woods master seris or Browning BAR seris.

The Ruger mini 14 is another gun that can be "mild to wild".It can be a nice traditional wood and steel or total tacticool gun.
    Its available now in 7.62x39 . Which is a pretty good cheap deer round for medium distances,got roughly the ballistics of a 30.30.Which has shot more deer in the US than any other calibre out there.
    Its also available in 6.8 so the Ruger is now well into the deer legal calibres as well.

Classic and vintage??
    Step back to the 1940s and grab your Garand in 30.06 or 308[Well 1950s to be technically correct on that calibre] or your 30 cal m1 carbine..A pretty cheap and cheerful little gun that can also be a nifty little deer and hog rifle.
    A Russkie Tokarev SVT is another intresting piece.Both the Germans and Russkies used it as a sniper rifle on the East front.

IOW look about folks there are plenty of semis that fit the bill of being non scary wood and metal guns that arent black or pistol gripped and might be easier to liscense for classic shooting,deer hunting or hopefully soon a new version of T&P and sporting.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Get up next Sat to the AGM of the NASRPC Citywest Hotel, Saggart, Co. Dublin at 3pm Saturday 23rd February 2013 .
    AND VOTE on two propositions to allow the NASRPC to run competitions for semi auto rifles and multi shot pump and semi auto shotguns.:)

AGM of the NASRPC Citywest Hotel

Please note

Only people who are members of a club or range that is affiliated to NASRPC are entitled to put motions, vote, attend the AGM, etc.

It s not so much whether they are designed in LH,[and actually STAG ARMS do a total LH AR15...If you can get one that is.] But it is the actual working mechanism that allows you to shoot as fast as a lad with a BA. I cant work a RH BA worth nuts.Try finding a LH BA or left handed anything for that matter here is like proverbial gold dust,and costs as much too.:).

Technically,we still "could" shoot the military matches here,provided there was no loaded firearms in the advance to target phase or humanoid targets [Do Zombie targets count there as well?:confused:].Its the
    "dynamic" phase and "human" targets that seems to upset the PTB.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

What are the chances of such competitions being run?

Was there enough interest in the S.T.A.G.S. shoots and the open shoot at Christmas for more of these to be organised?

I did'nt know about that conversion damn you tac now i am going to have to get another rifle.:D:P:cool::cool::cool: I have always liked the k31 lovely rifle.

patsat wrote: »
    What are the chances of such competitions being run?

Was there enough interest in the S.T.A.G.S. shoots and the open shoot at Christmas for more of these to be organised?

Pretty good..IF some SA folk come out of the closet so to speak,and we can find a range who will host it.. There is intrest out there in both semi rifles and restricted pump/semi multiple target shoots. It just needs to be organised and a few people to come out to shoot it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

What I would like to see is competitions like Kentucky Precision rifle challenge.

Have a comp shooting at targets at unidentified ranges, different positions and under the pressure of time.

Leave the competition open to all rifles so it would get higher participation but since having a semi-auto would be an advantage it would be a good reason for wanting one.

tac foley wrote: »
    I suggest that you get yourself a nice Swiss K31 with the Swiss Products left-hand conversion. I've tried it, being ambidextrous, and I reckon that it's actually a tad quicker than the already scorchingly fast right-hand straight-pull action. I must make a video next time, but I emptied the six-round magazine in just over seven and a half seconds, and I'm a sad old f4rt.

Sounds like another option.I was eyeing up a nice 30 cal M1 carbine on Egun for around 400 euros.Either that or a Tokarev SVT 40 for 550 complete with 4x scope or a SKS for 375
    Whats the K31 selling for in Europe these days??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MacsuibhneR

Get up next Sat to the AGM of the NASRPC Citywest Hotel, Saggart, Co. Dublin
    at 3pm Saturday 23rd February 2013 .
    AND VOTE on two propositions to
    allow the NASRPC to run competitions for semi auto rifles and multi shot pump
    and semi auto shotguns.smile.png

Hopefully this will be passed and even with all the difficulties at least there will be a valid reason for seeking a licence for the use of these types of firearms in the state (without having to travel abroad for competition). This will then be one more item checked off the list for anyone wishing to make an application.

tac foley wrote: »
    Sorry, I can't help you there, I live in UK.
    What??? the UK has already left the EU???THAT was quick!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D
    I guess my pal Frank could send you one from The Netherlands if you axed him nicely.

Or buy one unseen from egun.;)

Either options would be good next time I'm over. Can U PM me a contact for you friend??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Before anyone jumps down my throat this is a genuine question.

Is the type of shooting mentioned above not classed as practical/dynamic? Also is this not banned/prohibited?

Again only asking as i don't know. Or maybe i'm taking ye up wrong on what you are intending.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Sounds like another option.I was eyeing up a nice 30 cal M1 carbine on Egun for around 400 euros.Either that or a Tokarev SVT 40 for 550 complete with 4x scope or a SKS for 375
    Whats the K31 selling for in Europe these days??

John in fingal sports had svt 40's for less than that, and in excellent condition too. I considered buying one but couldn't face the crap of dealing with the guards.

Just gave me a idea there Rowa...We now have a new term for the hassle ratio of owning a firearm in Ireland.."The Crap factor".:D:eek::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

rowa wrote: »
    John in fingal sports had svt 40's for less than that, and in excellent condition too. I considered buying one but couldn't face the crap of dealing with the guards.

Are either of those SVT's, or SKS accurate or reliable, a quick google suggests that SVT's were withdrawn from service when they were first issued due to problems.
    I didnt realise the SKS was nearly the same size as the Garand, I thought it was considerably smaller for some reason
    Interesting rifles
    all pipe dreams of course :)

Just gave me a idea there Rowa...We now have a new term for the hassle ratio of owning a firearm in Ireland.."The Crap factor".:D:eek::cool:

I often see nice guns for not much money in shops that i could afford and would like to own , but then standing in the shop you realize the fact you have to deal with the guards and your heart sinks. It took me over 6 months to have a licence processed for a single shot ruger , that includes having the application sent back four times for "clarifications".
    i have had centrefire rifles for over 20 years now, imagine the rubbish they could dream up and throw at me if i applied for a semi-auto centrefire.

Dont I know it??:rolleyes:
    But then if you have good reason and some determination to press on regardless,it can be done.There is plenty of good reason to own one here,especially with classic /vintage models.At over 20 years of owning CF you should have a better arguement than most.It's a disheartning experiance alright,but non illegitum carbondm[or words to that effect] as the lads in the sheets and laurel leaves used to say in ancient Rome.:D

@Merch
    Dunno how you get that the SKS is the same size as a Garand??:confused:
    In Vietnam in the early days,the US advisors had to shorten the lend lease Garands betimes by cutting appx 4ins off the buttstock for the smaller Vietnamese to use.
    Looking at pics of the NVA using the SKS it seemed to have fitted them perfectly,especially their women soilders,who are a bit smaller again.:)

Yes the Tok had some design faults,but mostly it was its predecessor the Tok38.It can suffer from vertical shot dispersation,but that is really down to shoddy manufacture during the war and the barrel not being inletted properly into the stock or loose cross bolts.Birch bark chips were the field expedient way of correcting this problem.It wasnt a great sniper rifle either,The Sovs pulled the sniper model in 1942,and went back to the Nagant as their sniper rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

@Merch
    Dunno how you get that the SKS is the same size as a Garand??:confused:
    In Vietnam in the early days,the US advisors had to shorten the lend lease Garands betimes by cutting appx 4ins off the buttstock for the smaller Vietnamese to use.
    Looking at pics of the NVA using the SKS it seemed to have fitted them perfectly,especially their women soilders,who are a bit smaller again.:)

I said I didnt know/realise it was nearly the same size as the Garand, not the same,
    Until I looked, I assumed the SKS was significantly smaller.

got it from wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sks
    Says the SKS is 1020mm or 40",
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Garand
    Garand 1100mm/43"

• Advertisement

a video that amazed me about the svt40, to say it flexes is an understatement !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBQ5WK9sop8

Advertisement