Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi and Lidl

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Egginacup wrote: »
    Ever hear of greenhouses?
    And when you talk about in storage for "long" periods what exactly do you mean?

Country of origin.... Tis on the label...

Mega facepalm..

Yes food comes from greenhouses.. 12 months of the year? No.. FFS

But Eggiein a cup.. Long like The USSR.. Which is what Lidl and Aldi are doing.. A planned economy. You will buy wetsuit.. Cheap now.. not available anyothertime.. Food mixer.. One time only offer, only cost 30 euro, buy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Satriale wrote: »
    Ribeyes E3 on offer there at the moment. I've a couple for tonight.
    Drop everything and go!
    I wouldnt bother going to lidl in Terenure in the morning unless they restock. I cleaned them out of the rib eyes earlier and took ten packs of chicken kievs for a euro each while I was at it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The two brothers fell out and split the company into Aldi Sud and Aldi Nord in Germany. Lidl wasn't formed as a result, they're a completely different family.

People get it mixed up with the Adidas and Puma story. (The Dassler shoes brothers feud resulted in them setting up rival companies)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

dubscottie wrote: »

Yes food comes from greenhouses.. 12 months of the year? No.. FFS

Actually bite into an apple from any supermarket anywhere and you're biting into a piece of fruit that was picked about 14 months ago, covered in wax and kept in a chilled CO2 heavy room...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Lidl is much more expensive than Aldi. Lidl also stock quote a few other well known brand name products, is Heinz, chef etc and they're more expensive than the likes of Dunnes/Tesco.

We do the majority of our shopping in Aldi and only buy a few things that can't be got in Aldi, in Dunnes/Tesco.

Can't complain about food quality, taste or price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Was in local Aldi this morning. Dread the thoughts of going near the place but you can't argue with the value for money.

€2 got stuck in the trolley slot and wouldn't budge. Had to leave it. Went to another trolley line, popped in another €2, took out basket, went off about my business, back part of trolley was broken and flapping open (everything would have fallen out), asked a member of staff could he fix it and his reply was "no you'll need to go out for another. That one has been causing problems." - well put the fecking thing away in a shed or someplace then!

Back out for another trolley, saw some young lads whacking and banging my original trolley to get the €2 that was stuck. Fair play to them, they got it. I'd love to have kicked the ****e out of the effing thing but what with being 7 months pregnant and having quite a protruding bump, I didn't think this was a good idea. Might I also add a bump which the Aldi assistant took considerable note of before he sent me back out in the pi$$ing rain for another trolley.

Store packed with dopes, abandoning trollies in the aisles willy-nilly, strolling around like they had never been there before, jamming on their brakes and causing others to crash into the back of them, going to tills and then forgetting to get something which means they doddle off for 5 minutes while the rest of us stand like morons AND THEN they have the audacity to start packing away their groceries at the till! No, no, no my friend you go over to the window and do it in your own time and at your own snail pace.

Back out to the car and an idiot has me penned in so as I can't even get the trolley round to the boot of the car.

In saying that this doesn't happen every time I visit Aldi but it really is the most frustrating store and shopping there is definitely not good for my blood pressure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i've nothing against aldi or lidi but when i go I rarely find they are the second coming of christ that the thrifties or inverse snobs on boards claim they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

heldel00 wrote: »

Store packed with dopes, abandoning trollies in the aisles willy-nilly, strolling around like they had never been there before, jamming on their brakes and causing others to crash into the back of them, going to tills and then forgetting to get something which means they doddle off for 5 minutes while the rest of us stand like morons AND THEN they have the audacity to start packing away their groceries at the till! No, no, no my friend you go over to the window and do it in your own time and at your own snail pace.

Back out to the car and an idiot has me penned in so as I can't even get the trolley round to the boot of the car.

In saying that this doesn't happen every time I visit Aldi but it really is the most frustrating store and shopping there is definitely not good for my blood pressure!

Actually I must agree with you there about shopping in Aldi/Lidl with a trolley. I only shop for two so normally a basket is fine but lately I've been using the €10 vouchers and doing much larger shops. It is incredibly frustrating pushing a trolley through Aldi/Lidl when they are busy because the aisles are only wide enough for two trolleys and no more. Couple that in with the staff re-stocking shelves with stock off big pallets and you're quickly slowed down. It took me ages to get around the shop, whereas with a basket you'd do it in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Actually I must agree with you there about shopping in Aldi/Lidl with a trolley. I only shop for two so normally a basket is fine but lately I've been using the €10 vouchers and doing much larger shops. It is incredibly frustrating pushing a trolley through Aldi/Lidl when they are busy because the aisles are only wide enough for two trolleys and no more. Couple that in with the staff re-stocking shelves with stock off big pallets and you're quickly slowed down. It took me ages to get around the shop, whereas with a basket you'd do it in no time.

You wouldn't have been much use on Supermarket Sweep.

Advertisement