Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin - what to expect in 2013

Options
  • 19-02-2013 5:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I'm looking at getting a new Garmin mainly for running such as the 410 or perhaps with the added flexibility of the triathlon orientated 310xt.

As these were released in '10 and '09 respectively it got me wondering when can we expect these to be replaced and with what new features?
    I would hate to pay out for one of these only to find a new model with say mp3 functionality like the Motoactv to arrive soon after !!

Things on the web seem to be pretty quite on new arrvivals so perhaps 2013 wil be a quite year ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

bifl wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting a new Garmin mainly for running such as the 410 or perhaps with the added flexibility of the triathlon orientated 310xt.

As these were released in '10 and '09 respectively it got me wondering when can we expect these to be replaced and with what new features?
    I would hate to pay out for one of these only to find a new model with say mp3 functionality like the Motoactv to arrive soon after !!

Things on the web seem to be pretty quite on new arrvivals so perhaps 2013 wil be a quite year ?

610 and 910xt respectively considered the upgrades for those watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

610 and 910xt respectively considered the upgrades for those watches.

Is that the way Garmin operate, they keep adding on at the high end price wise and then the older model drops in price?

I was hoping that they would introduce something directly into the mid range market.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

They just brought out the Forerunner 10, for the cheap end of the market. If you're just running, don't want to set up interval sessions, and don't want a HRM, it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

RayCun wrote: »
    They just brought out the Forerunner 10, for the cheap end of the market. If you're just running, don't want to set up interval sessions, and don't want a HRM, it's fine.

+1 on this. At the price point it is a fantastic watch and with a recent update, a couple of annoying items were sorted. Well worth the small investment.
    bifl wrote: »
    Is that the way Garmin operate, they keep adding on at the high end price wise and then the older model drops in price?

I was hoping that they would introduce something directly into the mid range market.

All of their units at launch were top of the market, cutting edge stuff. My 305 was the best (some would argue still their best product) product of its type at the time. The tech in the watches like most electronics dates really fast and what was a top end unit last year is mid pack this year.

Just think of your iphone, same thing.

The FR10 is the first time Garmin have launched a product into a blatant niche area in the running market, all others have been rolldowns from the top. It doesn't do heartrate and battery is reported about 5 hours, but thats adequate for the majority of recreation and fitness runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

Thanks for the reply folks, it make my decision easier knowing my given unit will not be directly replaced with some new fangled device !!

For my self I'm want to be able to race against myself and setup specific training session before I go out. I'm all running at the moment but if I go into the biking end of things I reckon the 310xt will have me future proofed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement