Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whaat can i give to my sick terrier

• 19-02-2013 8:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

We rescued a dog 6 months ago, he seems to be doing well and has settled in with the others.

He was not badly treated but he was fed chocolate to the extent that his skin and fur are not in the best condition - what idiot gives a dog chocolate. Whilst we have him 6 months we hoped he would grow out of his addiction and has a sweet tooth to boot. We have never given our dogs any of this - but if you open anythign he is on top of you trying to get his tongue in your mouth! yeuugghhhhhh

Anyway - he tends to eat off dinner plates - which i have to say we kind of relaxed that with - I know now that we should not have encouraged this. He has been vomiting the past two nights now and I need to clear out his system and start him again.

HOW do i do this?

I feed them beef, veg and rice cooked with a handful of dog nuts and once a week when i come home from the butchers feed two of them raw mince.

I know to stop the extra feeding as he has gained weight he can ill afford,

what can i give him over the next few days to settle his stomach?

Is there anything i can give him for his poor coat from the chocolate

I would appreciate any advice you can give me,

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

First of all, I'd be considering a trip to the vet with that vomiting. There seems to be a tummy bug doing the rounds.
    Secondly, I'd stop cooking the meat altogether, as this distorts the really dog-friendly proteins in raw meat. Cook the veg, but not the fish.
    Thirdly, both for his skin and his weight, I'd remove skin and excess fat from chicken, I'd be looking for supermarket bargains on low-fat mince, and most of all, I'd feed a lot more fish, mixing some oily fish with very low fat whitefish.
    I'd also ditch the dry dog food completely in his case, as there may be ingredients in it which are affecting his skin and coat quality.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Perfect

We have our local butcher who has top class beef, but not chicken. Locally reared lamb and beef and we get great value from him and the quality is the best.

I will start him on a diet of raw fish fish and keep an eye on him - dont want the others picking up the bug - but to be honest - its down to us (eh.. me :o) letting him eat what we wont let the others, since he is the smallest and we spoil him which is no good.

We have a greyhound who refuses absolutely refuses to eat anything raw! god she is a drama queen! ten year old soon, and she lives off cooked beef and rice with a little dry food. She would ratehr starve and yes she is dramatic with it.

We have a terrier - 4 1/2 he loves raw food and I get him hearts from the butcher occassionally as he seems to be the only one to want to eat them. He loves his raw beef.

I will try to source a good fish shop - hard to do in the midlands and give the poor fella break

Thanks for the advice - I really appreciate it and will give the poor terrier a better start - when you rescue a dog you want to give them the best.

I know from reading these threads that I can give them raw chicken - something I have not done yet as I am afraid! typical women huh ....

I have a cockrel ready for the pot from the garden (he is about 9 months old) - always hate eating them - mind you I have no problem killing them when I have to! Once clean - what parts of him can i give to the dogs or is that acceptable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Raw chicken is perfectly fine, its what Lexi eats most. She also gets a little veg and liver every day and some fish, mainly whole mackeral and tinned sardines.

If you are going to feed raw whole fish, make sure to freeze it for a week first to kill all the bugs in the brain :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Which bits of the poor oul rooster is it safe to give him? I'd say the lot... Except maybe the feathers! When I buy whole chickens on special offer, the dogs get every last bit... Though I twist out the ribs just in case. I cut up the bird though, separate out legs, wings, breasts, and spine If there were gizzards in supermarket chickens these days, they'd get them too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Thanks again for the replies,

Terry is back in top health and I am ashamed to say it was my own fault - when we first got him he was obviously only fed from the table - or in his case he was happy to take from the plate! and as he was a rescue we let him ish...

We have now got him back to his usual self - in fact he was following one of the hens yesterday with his mouth open and we think he was perversly trying to get her to lay an egg in his mouth! he was so hungry! LOL

I appreciate all the fab advice here - it was most definitely cheaper than running him to the vet!

• Advertisement
Advertisement