Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling 'Antsy' Before A Fight...

Options
  • 19-02-2013 10:19am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Figure it might be a fun topic, maybe not...

Am I the only one who has this issue, either with SF4 or any other competitive game? Anyone have similar quirks?

If I boot up the Endless mode and start hunting a proper match after a training session, I become sort of 'hyper aware' of any issues with comfort or ill-feeling.

I mean, sure, I'll smoke 20xMore playing SF4 than other games but that's just the fast pace - I used to have one smoke per match in the past, it was dreadful - However, I'll also feel inclined to wash my hands as I feel my palms are a little sweaty as soon as I start looking for opponents, or I start shuffling in my chair or need to arrange what I'm wearing 'slightly' to feel comfortable the way I'm sitting (There's only so many times I can roll up, then roll down, my sleeves or turn my swivel chair before realizing nothing is helping).

If there is even a hint of a trickle in the bladder I'll feel like I better go to the bathroom in preparation for a 3min slugfest, whereas I will waltz into a 20-60minute long match of League of Legends and not bat an eyelid in any way in comparison with my bladder of steel full of tea.

I never was much of a competitive gamer - I mean, sure, WoW PvP and other things was always a part of my life as was CS back as a teenager but they all feel so different to SF4...

Maybe I'm just a complete weirdo :confused: Am I alone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

My watch suddenly becomes the most uncomfortable, chafey distraction before an online game and always needs to be banished to a pocket.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lol, it's very, very typical to see people empty their pockets before a tournament fight. It's funny but personally but I tend to focus so completely on what's going on it takes a really big disturbance to draw my attention.

AJ likes to play "screensies" and tilt the monitor in his direction.

I think the most common one is banging the buttons or rotating the joystick which I think is a kind of "get in the correct mindset" rather than a nervous tick thing. I know I like tapping out the timing of Guile's cr lp cr lp cr mp link before playing over and over, it's like I'm reminding my brain it REALLY needs to get this right shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

i usually remove my rings, watch and buddhist bead bracelet so my hands and fingers feel "free"... but recently i can play with my watch on without it bothering me despite it being quite chunky.

i piano the buttons before a match as if i were plink-dashing (UMVC3) and some times i twirl the stick.

with my good old lego stick...
    hori_fighting_stick_ex2_for_xbox_360.jpeg (RIP) i used to mash like no tomorrow during supers to get that damage... can't think of anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Does a daunted facepalm when you see your opponent's massive BP/PP tally count?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I actually only do this stuff when I'm playing online. When I play against a live opponent I don't really care about my surroundings or watches.

However, universally I tap buttons or swivel the stick. As DooM says I think this is more of a hand movement dry run than a nervous tick. I'd like to see any random game between any two players not have both of them tap out a few buttons before and between games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I always empty my pockets before a match, seems so heavy and noticable when you're playing lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I empty out my pockets and motions with the stick and pianoing the buttons before a match as well.

Another thing I've found effective is taking quick but deep breathes in-between rounds and matches ( I'm not a big believer of waiting before hitting rematch / character select. ) Helped me when I was fighting for my tournament life against a bad match up against my main in AE at the SF 25th Irish Quals last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

stupidsexyflandersxi9.gifThats me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I wouldn't have thought I did anything more "ansty" than take a drink of water, but looking at Doom's tournament videos I go nuts: scratching my head, shifting in my chair and making stupid faces....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I like to take my clothes off before a match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

2gen wrote: »
    i usually remove my rings, watch and buddhist bead bracelet so my hands and fingers feel "free"... but recently i can play with my watch on without it bothering me despite it being quite chunky.

i piano the buttons before a match as if i were plink-dashing (UMVC3) and some times i twirl the stick.

with my good old lego stick...
    hori_fighting_stick_ex2_for_xbox_360.jpeg (RIP) i used to mash like no tomorrow during supers to get that damage... can't think of anything else

I'm kinda the oppisite. I can't play without my rings on. I have one on each hand, and I usually adjust them over for absolutley no reason during the loading screen. If I don't have them, I feel... I don't... a little bit off, I guess. I use this same stick when playing Xbox (and it's PS3 counterpart when playing PS3), and the stick's balltop paint is chipped away to feck all because of wearing the ring on my left hand.

I do get very antsy and figitty before fights though, especially if I have no idea of my opponents skill level. My head usually feels a little bit like the start of this:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Stupid sexy Flanders!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

I made a horrible habit of chewing on my lip ring for the first while I started playing fgs. I still catch myself doing it every now and again if I'm concentrating pretty hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I mean, sure, I'll smoke 20xMore playing SF4 than other games but that's just the fast pace - I used to have one smoke per match in the past, it was dreadful

This. I should just stop smoking indoors, or leave the ashtray/cigarettes in another room. I'm automatic at reaching for them and lighting them, then they just sit and burn away because there's a round happening, my hands are busy. I've shocked myself before, playing for less than an hour and a half and looking down to see 12 to 15 cigarette butts in the ashtray. Or worse, not realising, then making a cup of tea and walking back in to the room to think, 'can't believe it's so smoky in here'.

I'll smoke playing any game, but something about the short game length and the free time in between matches means FGs have me smoking at triple the rate.

I had one match yesterday, must have been one of my first three games of the day, I let myself get intimidated by how much the other guy outranked me, but it didn't affect my play just gave me a healthy caution. I beat him 3-1, two rounds were very close calls, but I didn't leave damage on the floor and that made the difference. Afterward I felt like my heart was beating against my ribs, crazy unsustainable adrenaline rush. I shouldn't be getting like that - because it just means I need to do something to change down gears and regulate breathing to be able to play the next match, and that makes me want to smoke far, far more than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I only get the shakes AFTER a good battle.

Also, I get salty.

I'm not certain but the two might be related.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

bush wrote: »
    I like to take my clothes off before a match

Glad i'm not the only one.

It's really been holding me back in tourney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Kuro Tao wrote: »
    I made a horrible habit of chewing on my lip ring for the first while I started playing fgs. I still catch myself doing it every now and again if I'm concentrating pretty hard.

Ha I do this too. Only I don't have a lip ring anymore.
    I also noticed I nibble my fingers a lot in between rounds and use the stick casing as some sort of bongo. Drives the housemate mental. :pac:

The only thing that really gets to me is when my left hand gets that sudden ability to stick to the laminate on the stick... hates that.

Advertisement