Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC want modem back after upgrade

• 19-02-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I'm upgrading my UPC package at the moment. I was on the 25mb package and there's an offer on the 50mb package. I was on the phone to them there and they went through the details and said I'll need to send the old modem back to them once the new one arrives.

I won't need the old modem, but I do like to hang on to these things just in case.

I'm wondering though, do UPC have the right to demand the old modem back? I've been with them for about a year & a half and I remember being charged €50 for the modem when I signed up.

I'm just curious about this really. Did I buy the first modem or did the €50 count as rent or something along those lines?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

You don't own equipment supplied by UPC. The only equipment people could keep was the Netgear wireless router given out a few years ago. All modems remain their property.
    Even if you kept it, it won't work anymore once your new modem is setup on your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I was told the same but when the courier came with my new one and I mentenioned about taking back the old one he just looked at me with a glazed expression, heard nothing since

As far as I know they just cancel the old card associated with the old modum, you will have a new card with the new one, that's what happened to me anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

As far as I know they just cancel the old card associated with the old modum, you will have a new card with the new one, that's what happened to me anyway

There's no card associated with the modem - you must be thinking of the Digital TV receiver.

The modem is authenicated on UPC's network using the MAC address of the modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

You could be right, got both at same time still didn't send anything back though, old modum or receiver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Technically is their property but they are very lazy about collecting the old ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I think they're tightening up on getting their equipment back in general - I recently upgraded an old Pace box to a HD box, the courier was under specific instructions to pick up the old one when delivering the new box. On a previous occasion when I did this with an even older Pace box, they didn't seem to care about it when delivering the new DVR. I had to subsequently arrange a time for another pickup, a waste of everyone's time and fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yakuza wrote: »
    I think they're tightening up on getting their equipment back in general - I recently upgraded an old Pace box to a HD box, the courier was under specific instructions to pick up the old one when delivering the new box. On a previous occasion when I did this with an even older Pace box, they didn't seem to care about it when delivering the new DVR. I had to subsequently arrange a time for another pickup, a waste of everyone's time and fuel.

That's not really relevant to the router boxes. The Pace digital TV decoders can be reused, the one I got a couple of years back was obviously not brand new so I can see why they want them back, they recycle them.

On the other hand, the older BB routers can only do up to 25/30 Mbps so with 50 Mbps as the new UPC standard I can't see why they'd want the old routers back but they said they wanted mine returned so I picked up the new router in the courier's local office and half an hour later I dropped back the old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Courier took our old modem back when we upgraded to 50mb,he didn't want the box it came in or even the power lead.

The EPC 2425 was a pretty shítty modem anyway so had no desire to hang on to it!

Advertisement