Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quiz Thread

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

roanoke wrote: »
    No takers? :pac:

Hint : Teams like Malta, San Marino etc will most likely never make it onto this list.

Your questions are way too obscure and specific for most users I would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

5starpool wrote: »
    Your questions are way too obscure and specific for most users I would suggest.

Fair point. Though someone always gets them in the end. I'm just trying to ask questions that can't just be googled in 2 seconds. (not that anyone here does of course :) )

I've edited the list to make it a bit easier hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Success rate in penalty shoot outs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    In all tournaments
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_football_teams_by_penalty_shootout_record

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Peppa Pig wrote: »

Correct. Everyone's a winner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

batistuta9 wrote: »
    did he score a hattrick against man u for fenerbache?

I don't think so. You may be thinking of Elvir Bolic who scored for Fenerbahce when they beat United 1-0 at Old Trafford, which was United's first home defeat in Europe. 96/97, I think.

Tuncay did score a hat trick for Fenerbahce against United but that would have been early to mid '00s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Jarrod wrote: »
    I don't think so. You may be thinking of Elvir Bolic who scored for Fenerbahce when they beat United 1-0 at Old Trafford, which was United's first home defeat in Europe. 96/97, I think.

Tuncay did score a hat trick for Fenerbahce against United but that would have been early to mid '00s.

yeah that's him, similar enough names just.

Q: Why is Héctor Zelada unique among players who have won a World Cup winners medal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Q: Why is Héctor Zelada unique among players who have won a World Cup winners medal?

Because he was never capped?

Equium wrote: »
    Because he was never capped?

Correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Is he the guy who had one arm?

Edit: drat.

This should be easy :

Which outfield player played international football for over a decade, winning a WC winners medal and runner-up medal and played in a WC final , all despite earning an average of just over 1 cap per year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

This should be easy :

Which outfield player played international football for over a decade, winning a WC winners medal and runner-up medal and played in a WC final , all despite earning an average of just over 1 cap per year?

i seem to remember a right back for brazil that played a few times for them but i cannot remember his name.
    he never played in europe either.

is it him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

This should be easy :

Is he french?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think it has to be Daniele Massaro. He was in the Italy squad that won the World Cup in '82 and he played in the final in '94 but he rarely started for his country. He was a sub for a lot of his career at Milan too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think it has to be Daniele Massaro. He was in the Italy squad that won the World Cup in '82 and he played in the final in '94 but he rarely started for his country. He was a sub for a lot of his career at Milan too.

I'd say you have it there.

I was thinking it had to be a Brazilian from 1998/2002 or a French from 1998/2006. I wouldn't have thought Italy had any of the same players in 82 and 94.

eagle eye wrote: »

You are correct sir!

Ok, one final one (as it was on my mind):

Another World Cup one. Which player appeared at 4 separate World Cup finals tournaments and played over a dozen finals games at them, yet despite this never played a single world cup qualifying game in his career?

Rodger Milla

• Advertisement

Rodger Milla

Good guess, but no.

Another World Cup one. Which player appeared at 4 separate World Cup finals tournaments and played over a dozen finals games at them, yet despite this never played a single world cup qualifying game in his career?

I'd guess a Brazilian, but no idea who, Garrincha perhaps? Perhaps from the time they won in 2 times in a row, thus didn't need to play qualifiers. That's his era anyhow.

I'd guess a Brazilian, but no idea who, Garrincha perhaps? Perhaps from the time they won in 2 times in a row, thus didn't need to play qualifiers. That's his era anyhow.

Another good guess, but no. Garrincha (and Milla for the matter) only played at three finals.

pele

pele

Afraid not. Pele played qualifiers for 1970.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It's not much of a guess but I would think it's a goalkeeper who wasn't first choice but went to a good few world cups

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    It's not much of a guess but I would think it's a goalkeeper who wasn't first choice but went to a good world cups

No.

Just to help a little. He's not a goalkeeper and he's very much a first choice player during his career who earned a lot of caps.

Zico

Zico

No. Zico's another three world cup man.

No. Zico's another three world cup man.

What was the reason he never played qualifiers?

My guess of Milla was maybe they didn't need him - easy groups or whatever or is it to do with the holders not having qual. games or just because of selection choices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'll have a guess at Gianni Rivera, given that I know he played at 4 world cups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Ronaldo, the good one lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm thinking it might be a player from a country like Saudi Arabia, who played with a club in one of the top/better leagues and thus wasn't forced to play qualifiers, but was always called into the finals squad?

Would it be along those lines? A very good player for a very average national team? The Saudi's had that keeper who played for them a million times - al Daeyea or something like that.

EDIT: although, given he played in more than a dozen games, the team must have qualified for the second round at least once....

Ok, an idea - Kasey Keller?

2nd edit : not a goalkeeper.....hmmm....no idea.

Argentinian who played as a young player in 78, didn't have to qualify for 82, missed qualifiers in 86, didn't have to qualify for 90?

Italian who played as a young player in 82, didn't have to qualify for 86, didn't have to qualify for 90, missed qualifiers in 94? (could have played in 78 and missed qualifiers in 82 also, I guess)

3rd EDIT: There was no qualifiers for the first WC, if I remember correctly. Back then was the winner already exempt from qualifying for the next one? So it could be a Italian who would have made the first 3 world cups without any qualifiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Apologies, have only come across this thread, some great questions. Bit late but to update Irish players at Chelsea.

Mid 50's, Dick Whittaker, one cap For Ireland and Brian Spanky Rooney, signed from Bohs , only made reserves with Jimmy Greaves and Bobby Smith.

Coincidence, both born same day in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

No.

Just to help a little. He's not a goalkeeper and he's very much a first choice player during his career who earned a lot of caps.

Is it Bobby Charlton? Injured before 58. Dunno about 62. Hosts in 66 and winners for 70

I'll have a guess at Gianni Rivera, given that I know he played at 4 world cups.
    DubCul wrote: »
    Ronaldo, the good one lol
    Idu wrote: »
    Is it Bobby Charlton? Injured before 58. Dunno about 62. Hosts in 66 and winners for 70

Good guesses guys, all three got to four world cups, but also played some qualifiers.
    osarusan wrote: »
    I'm thinking it might be a player from a country like Saudi Arabia, who played with a club in one of the top/better leagues and thus wasn't forced to play qualifiers, but was always called into the finals squad?

Would it be along those lines? A very good player for a very average national team? The Saudi's had that keeper who played for them a million times - al Daeyea or something like that.

EDIT: although, given he played in more than a dozen games, the team must have qualified for the second round at least once.....

Argentinian who played as a young player in 78, didn't have to qualify for 82, missed qualifiers in 86, didn't have to qualify for 90?

Italian who played as a young player in 82, didn't have to qualify for 86, didn't have to qualify for 90, missed qualifiers in 94? (could have played in 78 and missed qualifiers in 82 also, I guess)

3rd EDIT: There was no qualifiers for the first WC, if I remember correctly. Back then was the winner already exempt from qualifying for the next one? So it could be a Italian who would have made the first 3 world cups without any qualifiers?

I'll help a little. This player played for one of the major teams of international football. So rule out your Saudi Arabia's or other average countries.

He's also is not from one of the early world Cups where no one had to qualify. I can't say precisely "when" this player was around as that it'd probably make it too easy. But I'll confirm you can rule out anything pre-WWII (so cross off anyone who played in the first three WC's). Whatever of this guys circumstances there most definitely was WC qualifiers going on at the time around the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Good guesses guys, all three got to four world cups, but also played some qualifiers.

He's also is not from one of the early world Cups where no one had to qualify.

Just pull you up there but only the first WC had no qualifiers every other one did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It can only really be a Brazilian though unless there's some odd reason for not playing qualifiers.
    Hosts in 50, winners in 58 and 62.
    That would take a 16 year international career if you include the 66 World Cup that they didn't need to qualify for from winning the 62.

Still one set of qualifiers unaccounted for though. Maybe military service or something?
    I don't know, I'm rambling here but might help someone else :pac:

Many seem very hot on the idea it's a Brazilian player. I'll give you a hint. He's not Brazilian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Not playing qualifiers is a strange one. Would it be a goalkeeper?
    Zoff or Zubizaretta?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm gonna say Pele, youngster in 58, no qualifier for 62 or 66 as they were winners and maybe was injured for the qualifiers for 70.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

I'm gonna say Pele, youngster in 58, no qualifier for 62 or 66 as they were winners and maybe was injured for the qualifiers for 70.

Not a Brazilian he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Not a goalkeeper either, cambo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Giuseppi Bergomi - Italy.

Played World Cup 1982, 1986, 1990, 1998.

1982 - too young for qualifiers. He was only 18 when the finals started.
    1986 - qualified as holders
    1990 - qualified as hosts
    1998 - surprise recall just before tournament.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

You've got 86 and 90 backwards (honest mistake) but a good shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

You've got 86 and 90 backwards (honest mistake) but a good shout.

I realised that just after posting and corrected it. :)

I realised that just after posting and corrected it. :)

Even got it in before my quote, wp :)

Correct! Lo zio Giuseppe.

Partial credit to osarusan for his many potential patterns and (almost) perfectly spotting the correct one among them.
    osarusan wrote: »
    Italian who played as a young player in 82, didn't have to qualify for 86, didn't have to qualify for 90, missed qualifiers in 94?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Great question Roanoke! I just read up on Bergomi on Wiki, played for Inter for 20 years and yet only won one Serie A title and one Italian Cup. Yet he managed to rack up 3 UEFA Cups. I wonder are there many players who won 3 times as many European competitions as they did league titles.

Great question Roanoke! I just read up on Bergomi on Wiki, played for Inter for 20 years and yet only won one Serie A title and one Italian Cup. Yet he managed to rack up 3 UEFA Cups. I wonder are there many players who won 3 times as many European competitions as they did league titles.

falcao?

• Advertisement

Gerrard and Carragher have won an infinite amount more :(

Advertisement