Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quiz Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Charisteas wrote: »
    Fabrizio Ravenelli? (first day of the season if i remember correctly)

that was at Boro's ground, not Anfield.

Peter Ndlovu

Correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

You're nearly right.

They were named after the Woolwich Arsenal Armament Factory which was also known as Royal Arsenal. The Dial Square name came from the sundial on top of the entrance to that factory.

The pub has nothing to do with the name, that was just the meeting place of the 'Dial Square' players/workers when they came up with the new name of the club - Royal Arsenal.

from the club's site
    And as they sat in the Royal Oak, the founding fathers chose a new name. They combined the name of the pub with their place of work - Royal Arsenal. It was far grander than 'Dial Square' and would be the club's name until 1891 when Woolwich Arsenal was formally adopted.

you can read the full thing here http://www.arsenal.com/history/laying-the-foundations/-royal-arsenal-formed-in-woolwich

they've it spilt into pages/chapters this is the first http://www.arsenal.com/history/laying-the-foundations/laying-the-foundations-overview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Name the four teams who spent 1 season each in total the PL.

Name the four teams who spent 1 season each in total the PL.

swindon
    bradford
    hull
    blackpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Easy. All the b's. Burnley, Blackpool, Barnsley and bSwindon. That last b is silent

Bit of a weird/trick question, hopefully someone will get the logic.

Which former premier league club WILL spend the most years absent from the premiership.

101001 wrote: »
    Bit of a weird/trick question, hopefully someone will get the logic.

Which former premier league club WILL spend the most years absent from the premiership.

Wimbledon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

batistuta9 wrote: »

That's interesting, they never mentioned the pub having any bearing on the name on the article I read. But this article was from 2007 so perhaps the story was updated later.
    'The Pullman' public house, formerly called 'The Royal Oak', stood right next door to the Woolwich Arsenal train station and was officially credited with being the birthplace of Arsenal Football Club. As the story goes the 15 members from Dial Square met in the Royal Oak on Christmas Day 1886 (a Saturday that year) and officially adopted the grand title of 'Royal Arsenal'.
    In a letter received by the Club in 1952, founder member Mr RB Thompson recalled an earlier meeting in December 1886 when the Club's new name was up for discussion: "Rather timidly, I asked: 'Who outside Woolwich ever heard of Dial Square?' Followed by: 'Who has not heard of the Royal Arsenal?' The name was adopted forthwith, and was later officially confirmed at a meeting at the Royal Oak, later in December." Mr Thompson was 18 when that historic decision was made.
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/club-s-birthplace-the-royal-oak-is-felled

It's a shame the pub has been knocked down :(

• Advertisement

Wimbledon

BOOM!! Wp Sire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Where did Dublin, Bristol and Liverpool meet in League fixtures?

That's interesting, they never mentioned the pub having any bearing on the name on the article I read. But this article was from 2007 so perhaps the story was updated later.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/club-s-birthplace-the-royal-oak-is-felled

It's a shame the pub has been knocked down :(

I don't know then, that bit history section on the website is nearly all i've read about it, i've seen else where the change of the name happened in the pub & was because of where they worked but i can't mind specifics

yeah, I wonder are they supported around there, i think Charlton's pretty close to woolwich & at this stage Arsenal are well linked into/are a north london club

if it only was a few years earlier Adams & Merson would've bought/saved it :pac:

yeah, I wonder are they supported around there, i think Charlton's pretty close to woolwich & at this stage Arsenal are well linked into/are a north london club

I'm glad Arsenal moved away from Woolwich to Islington. North London deserves a big club and obviously Barnet couldn't fill the void.

Something to do with University or college leagues?

Something to do with University or college leagues?

No. Club sides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Uruguay

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Ohio, USA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Peter Ndlovu?

oops, never saw the last page :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

BOOM!! Wp Sire

point of order, any club that left the pl and hasnt been back could outlast them and wimbeldon still exist just as a different name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

think there is a liverpool in australia so going to say australia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Monday Feb 25th page:

Who had just won both the league and FA cup with Liverpool, but failed to make the Scottish squad for a world cup finals?

point of order, any club that left the pl and hasnt been back could outlast them and wimbeldon still exist just as a different name?

Wimbledon can never and will never be back in the premier league, every other club That was once there can,at the minute. Milton Keynes dons have never been in the premiership neither have AFC Wimbledon.

It was just a bit of a nonsense question, thanks for the point of order though, figured someone would get a bit arsey about it. And then I'd get a bit snipy at your arseyness, which of course I'd feel compelled to correct. Thankfully the snipy/arsey/pedantry quotient of the internet has been restored, thank you internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

osarusan wrote: »
    Monday Feb 25th page:

Who had just won both the league and FA cup with Liverpool, but failed to make the Scottish squad for a world cup finals?

Alan Hanson?

Dalglish didnt play either but I think that was down to injury.

Alan Hanson?

Dalglish didnt play either but I think that was down to injury.

Yeah, Hanson. Ferguson left him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Who are the only two players/managers to have won both La Liga and Copa del Rey as both a manager and player, as well as the Pichici (top scorer) as a player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Morzadec wrote: »
    Who are the only two players/managers to have won both La Liga and Copa del Rey as both a manager and player, as well as the Pichici (top scorer) as a player?

Di Stefano and Cryuff?

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Di Stefano and Cryuff?

Yes.

Cruyff never won a Pichichi but good guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Guardiola?

Edit: Oops - he was probably never the top scorer.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Been just trying to think of Real and Barca players, seems the most likely.

Aragones? Striker, played with Real and a savage Manager. Seems like he could've done it.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Uruguay

Correct

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/dublin.html

Liverpool are actually still in the top flight in Uruguay

Dublin http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Football_Club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

(I'm asking this one off the top of my head in order for it to be something that can't be googled easily )

Who was the last man to play for Rep.Ireland in a competitive game whilst still a LOI player?

(Man I hope I have this one right! Go easy if I don't have the right answer myself :D )

roanoke wrote: »
    (I'm asking this one off the top of my head in order for it to be something that can't be googled easily )

Who was the last man to play for Rep.Ireland in a competitive game whilst still a LOI player?

(Man I hope I have this one right! Go easy if I don't have the right answer myself :D )

Glen Crowe

statss wrote: »
    Glen Crowe

No. (only played in friendlies)

Greg O'Halloran

Greg O'Halloran

No (never played for the senior team - sorry if any misunderstanding, I mean competitive game with the senior side).

Pat Byrne.

Joe Gamble got a senior cap in a friendly - I knew it was a Cork City Player

Pat Byrne.

Yep. That's the answer I have on my (imaginary) card here.

Yep. That's the answer I have on my (imaginary) card here.

Jack Charlton said he was the best player he saw in Ireland. (Although he didnt go to many games)

Pat actually played in the the sates for a while I assume in the NASL. He had plenty of offers to go abroad but turned them all down after he came back to Ireland - he was some player.

This is a hard/random one I made up years ago which annoys Man Utd fans.

First game Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke started up front together for the same team?

Clue : It wasn't a competitive game but there was a lot of Irish at it.

• Advertisement

Been just trying to think of Real and Barca players, seems the most likely.

Aragones? Striker, played with Real and a savage Manager. Seems like he could've done it.

Correct well done! Was a tricky one. But he played with Atleti, not Real Madrid.

Won just the 1 Pichichi, but won several leagues as player and manager at Atleti and the 'Franco' Cup (as it was at the time) as a player. Also won the Copa del Rey as Barca manager

This is a hard/random one I made up years ago which annoys Man Utd fans.

First game Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke started up front together for the same team?

Clue : It wasn't a competitive game but there was a lot of Irish at it.

Kevin Moran testimonial? I remembering being at that game. It was Ireland vs some selection of current Prem stars (prob just before WC94).

Kevin Moran testimonial? I remembering being at that game. It was Ireland vs some selection of current Prem stars (prob just before WC94).

Close, but incorrect player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Close, but incorrect player.
    I'm thinking Paul McGrath testimonial as he was both a United and Aston Villa player and that could put Yorke and Cole together on the same pitch.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm thinking Paul McGrath testimonial as he was both a United and Aston Villa player and that could put Yorke and Cole together on the same pitch.

correct. I was at the game, hence the unusual question. think the premier select team won 3-2.

Feb 26th page:

Which striker scored four goals in a game for both Portsmouth and Middlesborough?

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Feb 26th page:

Which striker scored four goals in a game for both Portsmouth and Middlesborough?

Yakubu?

Yes, Yakubu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

eagle eye wrote: »
    That was a good year before Cole joined United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

The Paul McGrath testimonial was in '98, still before Yorke joined United. I googled it because I remember we also played a friendly with Mexico around then in which we wore the orange jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

grenache wrote: »
    That was a good year before Cole joined United.

Yes but the question was when did they first play in the same team not when did they play for united?

• Advertisement
Advertisement