Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quiz Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

roanoke wrote: »
    Correct!

(Birmingham City ; Ipswich Town ; Leeds United ; Leyton Orient ; Millwall ; Milton Keynes Dons ; Queens Park Rangers ; Tottenham Hotspur ; Watford ; Yeovil Town ; )

Thats mad....Marcus Bent was the name that came to me at first, but he only played u21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

name the only england player to have played in the finals of a major international tournament in 3 different decades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

name the only england player to have played in the finals of a major international tournament in 3 different decades

Rio Ferdinand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Tony Adams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Bobby Charlton?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Shilton perhaps? He played an awful long time and 'm pretty sure he was there in 1990

Tony Adams?

Yes, 88/96/98/2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Morzadec wrote: »
    Shilton perhaps? He played an awful long time and 'm pretty sure he was there in 1990

England didn't qualify for anything in the 70's, if they did it would have been the 76 Euros and in which case Ray Clemence would have been no 1 at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

What do all of these players have in common?

Bryan Ruiz
    Ryo Miyachi
    Maya Yoshida
    Gaston Ramirez
    Ravel Morrison
    Lucas Leiva
    Wilfried Bony

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭ispini1984

Stab in the dark, all made debuts in english football as a sub ? :confused::confused::confused:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,684 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

golfball37 wrote: »
    England didn't qualify for anything in the 70's
    They did (not that it impacts on the question though);)

(they qualified for the 1970 WC by winning the one in 1966)

In those days the final stages of the euros had only 4 teams with England being knocked out in the qualifying competition QF in 1972 and not getting past the qualifying group stage in 1976

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

What do all of these players have in common?

Bryan Ruiz
    Ryo Miyachi
    Maya Yoshida
    Gaston Ramirez
    Ravel Morrison
    Lucas Leiva
    Wilfried Bony

Are they all the same age?

They all have their first name on the back of their shirt? (Leiva, Ruiz and Bony do anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

They all have their first name on the back of their shirt? (Leiva, Ruiz and Bony do anyway).

Morrison too. Good shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Correct!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

It happened to Irish Football in 1979, Scottish Football in 1881 and Belgian Football in 1987. What am I talking about?

It happened to Irish Football in 1979, Scottish Football in 1881 and Belgian Football in 1987. What am I talking about?

The Scotland thing is throwing me. All I can think of is Monaghan who played in Belgium park from 1979 on? Am I anyway in the right ball park

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Wild guess - first English player to play in each country? Though I imagine there probably would have been an Englishman in the Irish League before 1979.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Tough one.

Is it something to do with the introduction of a Reserve League ?

(PS: Is 1881 correct, or is it a typo and should it be 1981 ? Just wondering because of the order you put them in.)

First black player? I'm defo on Hughton for Ireland 1979. Scotland and Belgium, who knows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

First black player? I'm defo on Hughton for Ireland 1979. Scotland and Belgium, who knows!

This looks right to me. I was thinking waaaaaaay outside the box.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,684 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Scotland .., who knows!
    Andrew Watson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Never came back to check if someone got my question right but yes that was the answer. Well done roanoke. Threw in Belgium to confuse people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

There are 31 (that I know of) managers who have managed in both the EPL and international teams including caretaker positions. Can you name them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Eriksson
    Ferguson
    Hodgson
    McCarthy
    Strachan
    McCleish
    Hughes
    Scolari
    Walter Smith
    Hoddle
    McClaren
    Venables
    Robson

13 there

Hiddink
    Graham Taylor?
    Chris Coleman
    Lawrie Sanchez
    Worthington
    Keegan
    Peter Reid (Thailand?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Peter Taylor
    Howard Wikinson

Stuart Pearce?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Bryan Robson managed Thailand for a bit

Avram Grant

All answers so far are correct and there were 2 I didn't account for so the total now is 33

correct so far 25; 8 left and maybe some more I didn't account for.

Eriksson
    Ferguson
    Hodgson
    McCarthy
    Strachan
    McCleish
    Hughes
    Scolari
    Walter Smith
    Hoddle
    McClaren
    Venables
    Robson
    Hiddink
    Graham Taylor?
    Chris Coleman
    Lawrie Sanchez
    Worthington
    Keegan
    Peter Reid (Thailand?)
    Peter Taylor
    Howard Wikinson
    Stuart Pearce?
    Bryan Robson managed Thailand for a bit
    Avram Grant

• Advertisement

Believe it or not but AVB managed the British Virgin Islands when he was about 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Carlo Ancellotti

Santini,Hughes and Alan Perrin are 3 more.

AVB and Santini are correct. That leave 6 to find.

@golfball37 which Hughes do you mean?

Gerard Houllier
    Egil Olsen
    George Burley
    Bobby Gould
    Joe Kinner
    Ian Porterfield

:D

Yeah that's the 6 I have. Well played, I wonder where you pulled that answer out off! ;)

Kolido wrote: »
    Yeah that's the 6 I have. Well played, I wonder where you pulled that answer out off! ;)

had 4 of them straight off, other 2 had to think about :D

Liamalone wrote: »
    Carlo Ancellotti

What about Carlo?

Liamalone wrote: »
    What about Carlo?

Which international team did he manage?

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    Which international team did he manage?

Italia I would think

Edit: Google says no lol

Simple maths question, and not related to current standings (ie assumimg the position prior to any group stage matches being played):

What is the minimum number of points a club needs to guarantee qualification for the knock-out stages of the Champions League?; and

What is the minimum possible number of points (assuming no point deductions) a club could qualify with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Beasty wrote: »
    Simple maths question, and not related to current standings (ie assumimg the position prior to any group stage matches being played):

What is the minimum number of points a club needs to guarantee qualification for the knock-out stages of the Champions League?; and

What is the minimum possible number of points (assuming no point deductions) a club could qualify with?

4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

What is the minimum number of points a club needs to guarantee qualification for the knock-out stages of the Champions League?;

and

theoretically a team could win the CL (or whatever) not winning a game, drawing 13 times & win the final on pens

11 for the Champions League.

KevinK wrote: »

4?
    Correct - if there's a positive result in all matches there would be 36 points available in total. If one team lost all their matches the 36 could be shared by the other 3 - ie 12 each, meaning you would need 13 to guarantee qualification

At the other extreme one club could win all 6 of their matches, with the other 3 teams effectively playing a "mini-league" for the secind place. If all those matches were drawn that would be 4 points for each of the 3 teams, with one going through on goal difference (or drawing lots)
    batistuta9 wrote: »
    theoretically a team could win the CL (or whatever) not winning a game, drawing 13 times & win the final on pens
    It is possible to draw 4 matches and lose 2 as explained above, meaning a club could win with 11 draws and 2 defeats

• Advertisement

Correct - if there's a positive result in all matches there would be 36 points available in total. If one team lost all their matches the 36 could be shared by the other 3 - ie 12 each, meaning you would need 13 to guarantee qualification

At the other extreme one club could win all 6 of their matches, with the other 3 teams effectively playing a "mini-league" for the secind place. If all those matches were drawn that would be 4 points for each of the 3 teams, with one going through on goal difference (or drawing lots)

if after 3 games team A reached 9 points and the others drew with each other, the most the other teams could get is 11, though if one gets 11 - say D - B & C can only reach 8 max

30hx7qq.jpg

It is possible to draw 4 matches and lose 2 as explained above, meaning a club could win with 11 draws and 2 defeats

yeah so it is, that's even worse :D

batistuta9 wrote: »
    if after 3 games team A reached 9 points and the others drew with each other, the most the other teams could get is 11, though if one gets 11 - say D - B & C can only reach 8 max
    The question was set to envisage the possibilities before matchday 1 - as soon as the tournament starts the actual results open up a whole new set of scenarios - basically 4 and 18 points are the extremes of points that "can" qualify and most (but not all - it's not possible to gain 17 for example) of the numbers in between are possible

The question was set to envisage the possibilities before matchday 1 - as soon as the tournament starts the actual results open up a whole new set of scenarios - basically 4 and 18 points are the extremes of points that "can" qualify and most (but not all - it's not possible to gain 17 for example) of the numbers in between are possible

4 can qualify but reaching 4 points doesn't guarantee it - guaranteeing it means it's impossible not to qualify

the question was What is the minimum number of points a club needs to guarantee qualification for the knock-out stages of the Champions League?

surely you have to go through all scenarios to know what the minimum number of points is to guarantee it?

how can you say it's 13, using that scenario and ignoring the others?

the minimum that guarantees it might actually be 8, the CL always follows the same matchday pattern
    28qvrc6.jpg

The key word in the question is guarantee. If you say before the first match you will get 13 pts then you are guaranteed to qualify as no other 2 teams can finish above you.
    Sure you can qualify with less pts but it was obvious he meant before the first match otherwise there would be no correct answer to the question.

I guess you could also phrase the question, what is the max pts you need to guarantee qualification.

other than negredo last night name 5 players to have scored a hat-trick in the champions league for an english team since 2006

• Advertisement
Advertisement