Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quiz Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Didn't know Giles was at United, presumably that's right so. Strachan's right too. There's still one more that I can think off, probably only obvious if you've been following the football news over the last day or so

Henrik Larsson and whatever his son is called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Did Lou Macari have a son with him at Stoke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

something to do with Beckham and his 15 year old son?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Kenny and Paul Dalglish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

Judging by the line "There's still one more that I can think off, probably only obvious if you've been following the football news over the last day or so " I think the answer is larsson as has been said already.

He just took over at Helsingborg where his son plays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Henrik Larsson and whatever his son is called.
    wally79 wrote: »
    Judging by the line "There's still one more that I can think off, probably only obvious if you've been following the football news over the last day or so " I think the answer is larsson as has been said already.

He just took over at Helsingborg where his son plays

Yea Larsson was the sixth alright. There could well be more, it was just the six I was aware of

QUOTE=kfallon;92990340]Did Lou Macari have a son with him at Stoke?[/QUOTE]

I don't know to be honest.mcould possibly be another

QUOTE=MonkeyTennis;92992489]Kenny and Paul Dalglish[/QUOTE]

Neither played for United though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Who came on as a substitute to replace his brother at a international game at Wembley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Kolido wrote: »
    Who came on as a substitute to replace his brother at a international game at Wembley?

One of the Nevilles? Phil for Gary?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Maybe a foreigner ? Kovacs or the Yakin brothers??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Remember the O Leary brothers but not sure if that happened at Wembley or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Not sure who came on for who but it was David and Pearse O'Leary?

Who made his international debut coming on as substitute for his father?

[Former EPL player]

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Eider Gudjohnsen I believe is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

golfball37 wrote: »
    Who made his international debut coming on as substitute for his father?

[Former EPL player]

Gudjohnson?

Remember the O Leary brothers but not sure if that happened at Wembley or not?
    golfball37 wrote: »
    Not sure who came on for who but it was David and Pearse O'Leary?

Correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

What former Premier League player is the all-time top scorer for Ligue 1 side Montpellier HSC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

giroud
    read it wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

8-10 wrote: »
    What former Premier League player is the all-time top scorer for Ligue 1 side Montpellier HSC?

I know this one, but it's such a good question that I want to let it run.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I know this one, but it's such a good question that I want to let it run.

Yeah its really one for throwing guesses at if you don't know it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Is it Blanc?

Is it Blanc?

Bingo! Surprised that was got on first answer, nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Is it Blanc?

For shíts and giggles I decided to check that out... It's correct!!!

How in the name of Jaysus did a centre half become a club's top goalscorer!?!

They must have won 100 corners in every game or something!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Used to play further forward in attacking midfield when he was younger, and took pens. Also got 16 international goals as a defender that must be among the highest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bingo! Surprised that was got on first answer, nice one

Its great question.

I just remember reading about him few years back and the goals he scored in France caught my eye. Although I thought he would still not be all time scorer.

My answer was half guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

76 goals in 243 games (wiki)

Jaysus that's unreal.

• Advertisement

I would have said blanc myself, I remember him being their absolute star when they played utd circa 91 cup winners cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Al Capwned wrote: »
    76 goals in 243 games (wiki)

Jaysus that's unreal.
    And 146 total in his career (club and country).

Hey, guess what?

koeman-no.jpg

Ronald Koeman wipes hiss ass with 146 career goals... 253, bitches!! In 1987/88 he scored 26 goals from defence when PSV won the CL/European Cup weeks before playing in the Dutch team that won the European Cup, scoring the equaliser in the semi finals against West Germany (and I'm quite sure that's where the picture above came from!).

To put that in perspective, Koeman scored over 80 more goals than Scholes, over 50 more than Gerrard has so far, and had Lampard retired at the same age Koeman did (just gone 34) he would have had more goals than him also. He also has a handful more goals than van Persie to date... Rooney, Torres and Thierry bloody Henry only surpassed him in the last few months!!

Even as a guy who took a lot of free kicks and penalties, it's a baffling number of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Not quite as many as Koeman, but Fernando Hierro had a pretty impressive haul. He was Spain's top scorer until he was surpassed by Raul.

And here's a question - 3 of France's top 10 international goalscorers have played in the Premier League, can you name them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Jarrod wrote: »
    And here's a question - 3 of France's top 10 international goalscorers have played in the Premier League, can you name them?

Henry
    Pires?
    Djorkaeff?

• Advertisement

Henry and Djorkaeff are correct, Pires isn't.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Wiltord?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Anelka or maybe even Wiltord.

Dugarry?

Just checked it there - it's Henry (1st, 51), Djorkaeff (7th, 28) and Wiltord (8th, 26). Elefant and artanevilla got it.

Which team in which season(s) have had the single biggest rise in final position in the table compared to the season previous since the inception of the Premiership? (excluding newly promoted teams - e.g. 17th to 1st would be the biggest ruse possible).

Which team in which season(s) have had the single biggest drop in final position in the table compared to the season previous since the inception of the Premiership? (excluding the inaugural 1992/93 season as 1991/92 was still the old First Division - 92/93 compared to 93/94 is obviously fine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Ipswich the biggest drop.

Everton the biggest increase.

Billy86 wrote: »
    (excluding newly promoted teams - e.g. 17th to 1st would be the biggest ruse possible).

(excluding the inaugural 1992/93 season as 1991/92 was still the old First Division - 92/93 compared to 93/94 is obviously fine).

If you're including 93/94 then wouldn't 19th to 1st be the biggest jump possible in theory? There were 22 in the league that year and only the bottom 3 got relegated.

If you're including 93/94 then wouldn't 19th to 1st be the biggest jump possible in theory? There were 22 in the league that year and only the bottom 3 got relegated.

Ah yeah, forgot that! The Premier League was moved to 20 teams in 95/96, though the correct answers were Everton and Ipswich.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Just checked it there - it's Henry (1st, 51), Djorkaeff (7th, 28) and Wiltord (8th, 26). Elefant and artanevilla got it.

Yep, it was Wiltord. I was surprised by Djorkaeff, never realised he scored so many goals.

• Advertisement

Which was the smallest city/town to have had a team feature in the CL group stages?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

It was a Romanian team, I'm guessing Cluj

Real Sociedad, San Sebastian? (not sure if they've been in CL groups but the town is pretty small.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Real Sociedad, San Sebastian? (not sure if they've been in CL groups but the town is pretty small.)

In Uniteds group last year for sure, was at the OT game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Sturm Graz??

Remember Utd playing them and they had a tiny ground

Boots234 wrote: »
    It was a Romanian team, I'm guessing Cluj

Close but wrong team.

Close but wrong team.

Galati?

Unirea?

Unirea?

Tract infection?

Good shout, couldn't think of any other Romanian teams besides the Bucharest ones.

• Advertisement

Try as I might, it's hard to forget them given they hopped off Rangers at Ibrox.

Advertisement