Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quiz Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I'll take a wild guess at Owen Hargreaves or Victor Moses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Ryan Giggs played for England schoolboys didnt he? Did he play against Wales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Jarrod wrote: »
    Dejan Stankovic? I'm guessing someone who played for Yugoslavia, Serbia or Serbia and Montenegro.

I was thinking the same, but then how could he have played against Yugoslavia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Is there many players still around who could have played for Yugoslavia before the split? Seems like they'd all be in their 40's now.

(BTW, can I confirm we're talking about a guy who has played at senior level for two countries? ie not Ryan Giggs)

Didnt Dwight Yorke play for Trinidad and Tobago?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Yeah, I suppose he probably couldn't have played against them. He did definitely play for them though. He's the only player to play in a WC with 3 different teams.

Maybe someone for Croatia and Yugoslavia. I know Prosinecki (?sp.) played for both but I'm sure he's retired. Dunno if anyone still playing would have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

roanoke wrote: »
    (BTW, can I confirm we're talking about a guy who has played at senior level for two countries? ie not Ryan Giggs)
    Yes, it's senior level.

He actually played for a third country at under age level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Kanoute ?

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Kanoute ?

No.

I know di Stefano and Puskas would be two of the more well known ones that did it, as well as quite a few Irish footballers too. But that's years back.

But i thought you could only play for another country if you had just played U21 for your 'first' country. Like yer man Carl Jenkinson did for Finland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Jermaine Jones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Is there many players still around who could have played for Yugoslavia before the split? Seems like they'd all be in their 40's now.

Yugoslavia was playing up until recently enough the start of the '00 although it was just serbia & montenegro as yugoslavia. Then they changed the name to serbia & montenegro

so i'm going vucinic

batistuta9 wrote: »
    so i'm going vucinic
    No.

It's nothing to do with Yugoslavia. No one can have played for and against Yugoslavia and Serbia & Montenegro because they never existed at the same time. One replaced the other.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Al Capwned wrote: »
    I know di Stefano and Puskas would be two of the more well known ones that did it, as well as quite a few Irish footballers too. But that's years back.

But i thought you could only play for another country if you had just played U21 for your 'first' country. Like yer man Carl Jenkinson did for Finland.

Has to be a competitive game. Raheem Sterling could still play for Jamaica for example, although he has played for England in a friendly, although he has said he will stick with England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Tim Cahill

No.

It's nothing to do with Yugoslavia. No one can have played for and against Yugoslavia and Serbia & Montenegro because they never existed at the same time. One replaced the other.

this is the question, you never mention the same time
    Name a (modern, not retired) player who has played for and against the same national team

Vucini played for Serbia & Montenegro and for Montenegro

but yeah one replaced the other and if you're pedantic enough Serbia & Montenegro isn't the same as Montenegro

Vucini played for Serbia & Montenegro and for Montenegro

but yeah one replaced the other and if you're pedantic enough Serbia & Montenegro isn't the same as Montenegro

Did he play against Serbia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Only name that comes to mind atm is Jermaine Jones, already been said though.

Did he play against Serbia?

I don't think so

There has to have been a game between the two teams for the player to play for one team against the other.

So for the two teams to play each other, they have to have existed at the same time.

• Advertisement

Have Catalonia and Spain ever played each other? Maybe Puyol?

There has to have been a game between the two teams for the player to play for one team against the other.

So for the two teams to play each other, they have to have existed at the same time.

yeah i get you now, i misunderstood the question a bit there

so i'm going vucinic :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

The closest I can get is Packy Bonner, whose testimonial was against Ireland.
    But he's retired...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    The closest I can get is Packy Bonner, whose testimonial was against Ireland.
    But he's retired...

This got me thinking, does he have to have played against a national team for another national team? Or is it like Bonner playing for a club side against a national team?

Would Vuncinic count? As Serbia & Montenegro were technically a different team to Serbia though Serbia did inherit Serbia & Montenegro's ranking etc. and Montenegro were treated as a new team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Is it Kristian Nushi for Albania and Kosovo?

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Is it Kristian Nushi for Albania and Kosovo?

Great shout. He's not the one I'm thinking of. He has played for both teams, but I can't find any record of him playing against either of them.

I think this was the last time they met. He didn't feature. http://www.footballdatabase.eu/football.coupe.kosovo.albanie.20861.en.html

Any time before that, he would've just been a teenager so he probably hasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Its not Kevin Prince Boateng is it.

Played all under age for Germany (maybe played a friendly I don't know), then played against Germany for Ghana in the 2010 World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Its not Kevin Prince Boateng is it.

Played all under age for Germany (maybe played a friendly I don't know), then played against Germany for Ghana in the 2010 World Cup.

Was it Hans Sarpei? I remember him from the Bundesliga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Jong Tae-Se possibly played a friendly for Japan before switching to NK and then played them in WC qualifying?

This is a tough one.

@DDC1990 - KPB never made a senior appearance for Germany, only up to U-21.

• Advertisement

I'm going to get lynched when I reveal the answer to this.:o I wasn't expecting it to run for so long.

A clue: He played for and against a national team. The team he played against them for may not technically be a national team.

He also played under age football for another country again.

He plays in one of Europe's top leagues and has recently been linked with a transfer to one of the biggest teams in Europe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Is it a Barcelona player that played for Catalonia or a Bilbao player that played for the Basque country?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Is it a Barcelona player that played for Catalonia or a Bilbao player that played for the Basque country?

I suggested the Catalonia idea a page or two back and it wasn't replied to so I feckin' hope not! Although I'm pretty sure Spain have never played Catalonia or the Basque Country so I don't think anyone could have played against Spain for either of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I suggested the Catalonia idea a page or two back and it wasn't replied to so I feckin' hope not! Although I'm pretty sure Spain have never played Catalonia or the Basque Country so I don't think anyone could have played against Spain for either of them.

I'm not thinking Spain, a foreigner at either of those clubs that played against their home country while playing there, e.g. Messi against Argentina or Dani Alves against Brazil.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I'm not thinking Spain, a foreigner at either of those clubs that played against their home country while playing there, e.g. Messi against Argentina or Dani Alves against Brazil.

I think Catalonia etc. are classed as national teams and that you'd have to be from Catalonia to play for them. Although given Barcelona's pride in being a Catalan club maybe they allow Barca players to play for them. I don't know for sure though.

They don't, Messi has never played for Catalunya, the qualification criteria for Catalunya and Euskadi are the same as all other NTs.

Just read something interesting.

After the fall of the distatorship, the Basque's first game was against a LoI XI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Kevin - Prince Boateng is the only one thats coming to my mind. He played with the Germen youth teams before switching to Ghana, where he played against his brother vs Germany in the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

wonder is it someone from the Basque part of spain they have some teams against international teams

Amorbieta was born in the basque region

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Darren Gibson played underage for Northern Ireland. I remember there was an ROI vs NI game a few years ago, obviously havent a clue on the underage return.

markie29 wrote: »
    wonder is it someone from the Basque part of spain they have some teams against international teams

I think you have it. He played for Spain underage, Venezuela at senior level and, according to wiki, made his debut for the Basque country against Venezuela. Thank God somebody finally got that one.

Oh balls - is it Niall Quinn?

Did he play for Sunderland against Ireland in his testimonial?

Edit: I couldnt resist a google and indeed he did.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but the clue mentioned that he's still playing in one of Europe's top leagues. And, I think if you included testimonials then there'd be loads of them. It's Amorbieta, I googled it after somebody else had said him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That is what I was trying to think of last night. I couldn't get Zinedine Kilbane's name out of my head so i gave up! I remembered an Irish international playing against Ireland for half a game. Has to be an active player though as said above.

Yeah, but the clue mentioned that he's still playing in one of Europe's top leagues. And, I think if you included testimonials then there'd be loads of them. It's Amorbieta, I googled it after somebody else had said him.

Ah - with everyone bringing their ideas from different directions its easy to forget details of the original question.

Cheers!

I'm just grateful that someone finally got it. That one was doing my head in.

After that I'm going for a Rapid Fire Buzzer Round type of question:

First non-European to score 100 Premier League goals?

markie29 wrote: »

Boom! At last, well done.

After that I'm going for a Rapid Fire Buzzer Round type of question:

First non-European to score 100 Premier League goals?

Dwight Yorke?

Dwight Yorke?

Correct!

See? Now we're flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Explain this sequence of letters and numbers :

HB5,MD5,RF5,RR5,FS6,JC7,RD9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Explain this sequence of letters and numbers :