Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quiz Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Play in the EC/CL & uefa cup finals?

Was thinking the same but liverpool did this in the 2000s so would have probably been included in the question.

Could be something like winning all 3 european cups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Kolido wrote: »

Could be something like winning all 3 european cups?

Very warm, but you need to be more specific.

Red Kev wrote: »
    Very warm, but you need to be more specific.

Completed the european treble in those decades?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ah, stumbled on it by accident when I went to double check Bayern hadn't won a CL in the early/mid 90s that I had completely forgotten about or something!
    Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) defines a European Treble as the feat of winning, over the club's entire history, all three seasonal club confederation competitions – European Cup/UEFA Champions League, European/UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, and UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League.

While the UEFA Cup Winner's Cup no longer exists, there are 28 teams that have won it in the past who could still add wins in the other two competitions to achieve this UEFA treble.

The European Treble has only been achieved by four teams:

Italy Juventus 1976–77 UEFA Cup 1983–84 European Cup Winners' Cup 1984–85 European Cup
    Netherlands Ajax 1970–71 European Cup 1986–87 European Cup Winners' Cup 1991–92 UEFA Cup
    Germany Bayern Munich 1966–67 European Cup Winners' Cup 1973–74 European Cup 1995–96 UEFA Cup
    England Chelsea 1970–71 European Cup Winners' Cup 2011–12 UEFA Champions League 2012–13 UEFA Europa League

Completed the european treble in those decades?

Yes, that's it.

Juventus 1985
    Ajax 1992
    Bayern 1996
    Chelsea 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'll throw one up so to keep things moving:

Who is the only Premier League player to register a goal, an own goal, an assist and a booking in the same match?

Shouldn't be as hard as the last few. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

martyos121 wrote: »
    I'll throw one up so to keep things moving:

Who is the only Premier League player to register a goal, an own goal, an assist and a booking in the same match?

Shouldn't be as hard as the last few. :)
    Walters?

Walters?

Nope, wasn't a Stoke player just to narrow it down the tiniest bit.

Jamie Carragher? I know he scored a lot of OGs but can't remember him ever getting an assist.

• Advertisement

Not Carragher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Richard dunne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

Gareth bale?

Gareth bale?

Spot on.

I guess it was the time Lennon cleared the ball off the line right into Bales face

I guess it was the time Lennon cleared the ball off the line right into Bales face

It was indeed, against Liverpool. Bale was absolutely unplayable that night, so good in fact that Lennon took "get the ball to Gareth" to new extremes. :pac:

• Advertisement

Should be handy enough this one,

Who is regarded as being the highest scoring defender in world football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ronald Koeman?

He must be up there.
    But can see some guy from some obscure league on top of the list.

inforfun wrote: »
    Ronald Koeman?

He must be up there.
    But can see some guy from some obscure league on top of the list.

Yeah that's the one. Don't know if he holds the actual record but from the top leagues and international matches he tops the list.

Alright then.
    Most of you know that brothers Ronald and Erwin Koeman won the euros in 1988 together.

We almost had twins winning a tournament. Who are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Alright then.
    Most of you know that brothers Ronald and Erwin Koeman won the euros in 1988 together.

We almost had twins winning a tournament. Who are they?

So Netherlands again?

DeBoer's? At least I think they are twins

• Advertisement

They are twins.
    Never went close to winning a tournament though. Couple of semi finals in 98 en 00. Not even too sure they both played.

And yes, Netherlands again. it is early. Cant think of anything internationally this early :D
    Making them up as i sit here.

The numbers on their shirt were 6 and 9.
    Which is rather disturbing when you add that all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

René & Willy van de Kerkhof. WC78 finalists.

That is them indeed

Jesus Navas could join them if Man City wins the CL this season. What is so special about this band of players/coaches? Who are they (there are 7 of them)?

Players to win a World Cup, Euros, Europa League, Champions League/old European Cup and European Super cup?

Billy86 wrote: »
    Players to win a World Cup, Euros, Europa League, Champions League/old European Cup and European Super cup?
    Yes. In reality, only one won all 5 of them (as a player and a coach). Then 6 won 4 of them. Can you find them all?

iroced wrote: »
    Yes. In reality, only one won all 5 of them (as a player and a coach). Then 6 won 4 of them. Can you find them all?

Mata?

Mata?
    He is one of the 6 allright. There are actually 2 players that are still currently playing and he's one of them of course ;).

Henry?

Henry?

Wouldn't have won the UEFA/Europa - EDIT: nevermind, missed iroced's post above.

Jurgen Kohler should be another, I think.

Sammer (UEFA) and Matthaus (CL/EC) came to mind also, but both fall one trophy short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Zidane?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Franz Beckenbauer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

He is one of the 6 allright. There are actually 2 players that are still currently playing and he's one of them of course ;).

David villa?

Wouldn't have won the UEFA/Europa - EDIT: nevermind, missed iroced's post above.

Jurgen Kohler should be another, I think.

Sammer (UEFA) and Matthaus (CL/EC) came to mind also, but both fall one trophy short.

Kohler got sent off in my signature during a UEFA cup final. And lost.

Kohler got sent off in my signature during a UEFA cup final. And lost.

I can't view signs for some reason? Must be something in the settings.

He had already won one with Juve in 92/93.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Fernando Torres

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Then 6 won 4 of them. Can you find them all?

Unless I misunderstand this question, surely lots of the Real Madrid and Barcelona players off the World Cup 2010 + Euro 08/12 squads would have 4 of these (just missing the Europa league).

Casillas
    Valdez
    Puyol
    Ramos
    Xavi
    Iniesta
    Villa
    Torres
    Mata
    Pedro
    Busquets
    Alonso
    Arbeloa

Off the top of my head...

Might be wrong, but I'm guessing the Super Cup was the one that didn't count, the others being EC, WC, CL, and UEFA/Europa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

elefant wrote: »
    Unless I misunderstand this question, surely lots of the Real Madrid and Barcelona players off the World Cup 2010 + Euro 08/12 squads would have 4 of these (just missing the Europa league).

Torres

Torres has won the Europa League and hasn't played for either of those clubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

8-10 wrote: »
    Torres has won the Europa League and hasn't played for either of those clubs

He's still won 4 of the competitions.

Torres and Mata have won the big 4, as has Jurgen Kohler, he won a UEFA cup with Juventus.

Beckenbauer won UEFA as a manager as he controversially sacked Otto Rehagel just before the final and took over himself, so he shouldn't count.

The only players who might count are Germans from the 1990 and 1996 teams, French from 1998 and 2000 and Spanish from 2010 and 2008/12.

Dino Zoff won Euros in 1968 and WC in 1982 but never won European Cup.

Could be also from the German squads from the 70s. I cant think of any Frence players or Spanish apart from those metioned that have won both European trophies in their given time frame.

Mata?
    Could be also from the German squads from the 70s. I cant think of any Frence players or Spanish apart from those metioned that have won both European trophies in their given time frame.

Bayern were the only team to win a EC in that time, HSV were next in 1983. Bayern only won the UEFA in 1996, so that discounts them. They did win the Cup Winners Cup back in the late 1960's. Juup Heynckes won a UEFA cup with 'Gladbach, but never won a EC with Bayern as a player.

Sorry for late reply.

So. Just to be clear. It was about players (and/or players who become coaches) who have won all the major tournaments of their day in Europe. Since C2 & C3 got merged, players who won WC, Euro, C1 & 1 of C2 or C3 were also included. And anyway there's only one who won all 5 of them.

Muff_Daddy got him: Franz Beckenbauer (WC74 & 90 as a coach, Euro72, C2 67, C1 74, 75 & 76 & C3 96 as a coach).

Then, about the 6 other ones, the 2 still active players have been cited. Mata (WC2010, Euro2012, C1 2012 & C3 2013) & Torres (WC2010, Euro 2008 & 2012, C1 2012 & C3 2013).

Now I realise my source (uefa.com) is wrong or at least incomplete since it did not include Jurgen Kohler but he did win all 4 (WC90, Euro96, C3 93 with Juve & C1 97 with Dortmund).

So there's still 4 "older" ones to find. Kolido & Red Kev are right. You have to look at 70ies German players.

- edit -
    Actually Red Kev found 1 of them (I did mention players/coaches ;)). So Jupp Heynckes is a right answer (WC74 though he did not play the final, Euro72, C2 67 & C1 98 with Real Madrid & 2013 with Bayern both as a coach).

Still 3 to find then.

Henry?
    astradave wrote: »
    Zidane?
    golfball37 wrote: »
    David villa?
    They never won the Europa League neither C2/C3.
    elefant wrote: »

Casillas
    Valdez
    Puyol
    Ramos
    Xavi
    Iniesta
    Villa
    Torres
    Mata
    Pedro
    Busquets
    Alonso
    Arbeloa

Torres & Mata are the only ones from that bunch to have won the Europa League.

• Advertisement

Ah the mention of the super cup was throwing me off. So it could be one from UEFA cup / cup winners cup?

How about Gerd Muller?

Maier, Muller and Schwarzenbeck if you're counting the Cup Winners Cup.

Schwarzenbeck used to have a newsagents near the Deutsche Museum, used to get a paper off him for about 6 months. Nice chap.

Ah the mention of the super cup was throwing me off. So it could be one from UEFA cup / cup winners cup?

How about Gerd Muller?
    Red Kev wrote: »
    Maier, Muller and Schwarzenbeck if you're counting the Cup Winners Cup.

Schwarzenbeck used to have a newsagents near the Deutsche Museum, used to get a paper off him for about 6 months. Nice chap.

Yeah you're both spot on :cool:. Well done!

My source: http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2355422.html.
    But, as previously said, it is imcomplete since it doesn't include Jurgen Koehler.

To be honest, I wanted to ask about players who scored in major finals (WC, Euro or Copa America, C1 or Copa Libertadores, C2/C3/EL or Copa Sudamericana. But I lost the podcast of the answers :P... So found this one instead ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

3 players who have won a Premier league medal, League cup medal and FA cup medal each at a different club?

3 players who have won a Premier league medal, League cup medal and FA cup medal each at a different club?

Mark Hughs is one, cant think who else. Is it PL or also old 1st division?

• Advertisement
Advertisement