Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood preservative for raised beds

• 19-02-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Controversial topic but I have some ronseal fencelife and not sure if its safe to use on raised beds where vegetables will be grown anybody know?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Its water based...but I dont know how safe it would be for growing and eating the veg?

My partner doesnt use any preservitives on any of the raised veggie beds in her allotment.

We do however use Ridgeway on the other raised beds (2-3 coats),but no veg or fruit are grown here.
    Its made by Fleetwood Paints in Cavan,its water based and safe for animals and plants too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Might chance it,no point growing your own if you die from them I suppose.Are the beds lasting long with out preservative ?

Snowc wrote: »
    Might chance it,no point growing your own if you die from them I suppose.Are the beds lasting long with out preservative ?

Yep a good few seasons now...made from 2nd hand 8 foot long,9 inch high and 2 inch thick scaffold planks (3 euro each).

Lovely tasty scallions,onions,spuds,carrots and turnips too,

You see lots of raised beds made like this on allotments.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The vegies could absorb anything from the surrounding soil so imo dont use anything near them that would leech in to the soil that you dont want to eat. It is really a question of what you want to do yourself and what you would be happy with, for me its my hobby to produce the cleanest vegis I can for my table, enough chemicals in the bought vegis.

this may help:
    http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/gg33.php

the non treated timber I used for raised beds lasted 10 years and needs replacing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭hashey

i have 2 beds treated with ronseal fence life but havent put them in yet- if the beds are coated with plastic surely that would minimise the risk- im using up all the spare timber around the place for the beds -would be a disaster not to be able to use the beds now as i have painted all the timber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

can anyone tell me how long pine untreated would last as raised beds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Depends a lot on the quality of the timber, the weather and how well the beds are put together. I'd say at a guess you would get 5/6 years out of it before it starts to come apart. Treated timber you would get about 8/9 years. the thing is though, if the beds a poorly put together the frost and heat will cause them to fall apart long before the timber rots.

Went with water based preservative for my beds and am lining the insides with old underlay to minimize direct contact with the soil but that wont stop leaching.

Pressure treated wood wont leach,due to the process involved with pressure treating it.

Its also safe to use for veggie beds.

Is TANALISED E pressure treated timber safe to use for compost bins and earth retaining structures for organic vegetable beds?

TANALISED E pressure treated timber is suitable for the construction of compost bins and for use as earth retaining structures for organic vegetable beds. The Soil Association (www.soilassociation.org) states that if the timber used for organic vegetable beds is preservative pre-treated then there are no issues in terms of organic status. If, however, the wood is treated once the raised bed has been built (brush applied preservative) then this would affect the status of the land. Please see our Code of Practice and Consumer Information Sheet for more information on the use of TANALISED E pressure treated timber.

tanE Will leech ,it also leeches copper. and over yrs will build up in soil.although copper was thought of, as safe this is no longer the case, as it now seems copper build up can be bad for soil.

allanpkr wrote: »
    tanE Will leech ,it also leeches copper. and over yrs will build up in soil.although copper was thought of, as safe this is no longer the case, as it now seems copper build up can be bad for soil.

So using Tan E pressure treated timber for a raised bed is not safe then??......even though various websites and the soil association say that it is fine to use for raised beds and veg.

Interested to hear and read your thoughts.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

if you look at wording used .they dont say it will NEVER leech, . therefore it must be accepted that it does leech. the chemical it leeches is the metal copper. the organic org. USED to say blight control containing copper was acceptable as an organic blight control. they are changing that, because the build up of copper in soil is very bad for the soil and the food chain.copper is only one element in tan.E how can anyone think PTT is organic is beyond me. pressure treated timber does have its uses , no question, just not in a veg patch. unless you do not mind what chemicals you put in your veg.if that is case buy shop veg. 2 points ; why your arguing with me i fail to understand, as it is a matter of choice in the end . choose chemicals or not.
    just remember they also say fracking does not effect the water table or soil...if you need to wait until someone tells you that isnt right. then then you need a rethink. last point- if we keep moving goalposts to suit our ideas of what is godd for growing veg, whats the point of the organic standard.
    THANK YOU

if you look at wording used .they dont say it will NEVER leech, . therefore it must be accepted that it does leech. the chemical it leeches is the metal copper. the organic org. USED to say blight control containing copper was acceptable as an organic blight control. they are changing that, because the build up of copper in soil is very bad for the soil and the food chain.copper is only one element in tan.E how can anyone think PTT is organic is beyond me. pressure treated timber does have its uses , no question, just not in a veg patch. unless you do not mind what chemicals you put in your veg.if that is case buy shop veg. 2 points ; why your arguing with me i fail to understand, as it is a matter of choice in the end . choose chemicals or not.
    just remember they also say fracking does not effect the water table or soil...if you need to wait until someone tells you that isnt right. then then you need a rethink. last point- if we keep moving goalposts to suit our ideas of what is godd for growing veg, whats the point of the organic standard.
    THANK YOU

All im doing is asking a question.....no one is argueing with you.

The soil assosiation and various other websites say that TanE PT timber is safe to use for raised beds and veg growing....

You differ with and dispute what they say about PT beds and growing veg......which is your absolute right and entitlement to do so.

Regards.

i challenge anyone who thinks putting chemical treated timber near veg is acceptable. why. cause i think.....therefore i am.
    i make a personal choicein my life that if i grow veg i want them organic. the food i buy is organic..also my choice.
    as i said b4 and you seem to fail to grasp or choose not to , copper is NOT good for soil, organic org has now changed there view on this, they cant all be right. soil ass say its ok ,organic says it isnt. also rember copper is only one element in tan E. YOU CAN NOW CHOOSE TO IGNOR THIS AS YOU WISH
    regards

i challenge anyone who thinks putting chemical treated timber near veg is acceptable. why. cause i think.....therefore i am.
    i make a personal choicein my life that if i grow veg i want them organic. the food i buy is organic..also my choice.
    as i said b4 and you seem to fail to grasp or choose not to , copper is NOT good for soil, organic org has now changed there view on this, they cant all be right. soil ass say its ok ,organic says it isnt. also rember copper is only one element in tan E. YOU CAN NOW CHOOSE TO IGNOR THIS AS YOU WISH
    regards

Ooohh block capitals now.......Is someone get a tad touchy on the matter now????:pac::pac:

I can accept that TanE PT wood is safe to use for raised beds and growing veg.

Various other people,companies and organisations do too.

http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/WOOD/Products/PreservativeProtection/faq.htm#Veggies

10. Is TANALISED E pressure treated timber safe to use for compost bins and earth retaining structures
    for organic vegetable beds?
    TANALISED E pressure treated timber is suitable for the construction of compost bins and for use as earth retaining structures for organic vegetable beds. The Soil Association (www.soilassociation.org) states that if the timber used for organic vegetable beds is preservative pre-treated then there are no issues in terms of organic status. If, however, the wood is treated once the raised bed has been built (brush applied preservative) then this would affect the status of the land. Please see our Code of Practice and Consumer Information Sheet for more information on the use of TANALISED E pressure treated timber.

Best Regards......hope you have a nice pleasent afternoon,and hope the weather is good for you too.....(where ever you are located).:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm not going to get into the argument about what is or isn't organic - you can only read information and make your own judgement.

However, I used untreated 6 by 1 pine for my raised beds - still going strong now in their 6th season and none really look like needing to be replaced for next year. It depends on where you're sourcing the timber (I've a good, local saw mill), but for me, the time and money of wood treatment, or lining etc was more hassle than the wood was worth. Thats all time that you could be sowing, planting and hoeing! :)

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'm not going to get into the argument about what is or isn't organic - you can only read information and make your own judgement.

However, I used untreated 6 by 1 pine for my raised beds - still going strong now in their 6th season and none really look like needing to be replaced for next year. It depends on where you're sourcing the timber (I've a good, local saw mill), but for me, the time and money of wood treatment, or lining etc was more hassle than the wood was worth. Thats all time that you could be sowing, planting and hoeing! :)

2 builders providers in North Dublin are doing TanE PT sleepers (8 feet x 4 inch x 8 inch) for 18 euro each.

People use these for raised beds in their back garden for growing plants and veg.
    Sure even quite a few schools use them for making PT raised veg beds and also use flatpack PT raised bed kits for the various classes to grown their fruit and veg.

But everyone has their own opinions/ideas and they make their own decisions on matters like this.:)

you should go on TAN E own web site

if clothes get soiled whilst working with timber..WASH SEPARATELY.

DO NOT USE.. WHERE IS MAY COME INTO CONTACT WITH DRINKING WATER
    SURFACE STRUCTURES OR CONTAINERS FOR STORAGE
    OR WHERE THE PRESERVATIVE MAY BECOME A COMPONENT
    FOOD OR ANIMAL FEED.
    THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT TAN E PRESSURE TREATED TIMBER HERE. this is the manufacterers own site. sounds safe to me.
    as i said b4 you have to make an educated decision on things in life.

have a nice day.

type in TAN E TIMBER--GO TO HEADING PRESSURE TREATED TIMBER CONSUMER IMFORMATION WEBSITE SHOWS
    WWW.FLANAGAN.COM/3-CON_INFO_TAN_E_PDF FILE

I DO AGREE WITH MACY0616 WHICH WAS MY FIRST COMMENT ..go with untreated safe lasts a few yrs ,,no ground contamination.
    allim gonna say on subject..gave you all my information and my opinion, you carry on use TAN E, totally your choice. good luck

type in TAN E TIMBER--GO TO HEADING PRESSURE TREATED TIMBER CONSUMER IMFORMATION WEBSITE SHOWS
    WWW.FLANAGAN.COM/3-CON_INFO_TAN_E_PDF FILE

I DO AGREE WITH MACY0616 WHICH WAS MY FIRST COMMENT ..go with untreated safe lasts a few yrs ,,no ground contamination.
    allim gonna say on subject..gave you all my information and my opinion, you carry on use TAN E, totally your choice. good luck

Several websites provided and codes of practice (soil association aswell) that clearly state its safe to use TanE PT timber for raised beds and veg growning purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

paddy147 wrote: »
    But everyone has their own opinions/ideas and they make their own decisions on matters like this.:)
    I'm not advising for or against - I used what was readily available and convenient to me. And obviously you can do raised beds without any edging at all.

I'm not 100% organic, I try to be, but I don't give myself 40 lashes if I use peat based compost, or clear an area with roundup. Plus there's an awful lot of grey areas - is covering ground with used carpet really organic? There's organic slug pellets (which I use) but they do mess with nature. A lot of "organic" solutions use washing up liquid in the mix. F1 hybrids seem to be the plants of choice of a lot of "organic" experts, which I have great difficulty with. People have to make their own, as informed as possible, decisions.

My work in progress extension to the veg plot won't have any raised beds - I'm going for half raised beds, half open ground. (none early) Spuds and large brassica's don't work that great in raised beds in my experience.

• Advertisement

@ Allanpkr.....whats with all the block capitals suddenly??

Soil association and various other websites and suppliers state its safe to use TanE PT timber for veg growing.

Oh and this might be worth a read to you aswell....

http://www.tanalisedtimber.co.uk/Using-Tanalised-Timber/FAQs

http://www.tanalisedtimber.co.uk/TanalithE/media/TanalithE/PDFs/Tan-E-COP_1.pdf

It does seem that there is lots of info out there on the internet,both for and against using PT Timber.......so its really all about a persons personal opinion and what they believe or think.

Each to their own I suppose.

Hope you have a good day.
    Best Regards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

Not completely OT but but anyone tried to burn the surface of the plank?
    In the Tree House episode of Grand Design they burnt the cladding surface to make it permeable. I wonder if it really works

Steve_hooo wrote: »
    Not completely OT but bnyone tried to burn the surface of the plank?
    In the Tree House episode of Grand Design they burnt the cladding surface to make it permeable. I wonder if it really works

That was probably larchwood cladding....burnt with a gas bottle blow torch and then quickly sprayed with a fine water/mist.

The process forces the woods inner oils come to the surface and then seal on the surface to make it more weather resistant.

The wood goes a dark black/grey colour and looks lovely too.:)

There was a house on Grand Designs a few years back that had the entire exterior of it cladded in this fashion.

Looked lovely.

Advertisement