Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Test website query

• 19-02-2013 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I want to set up a domain for testing a website but I don't want the site to be available/indexed by search engines engines. I am using a hosting provider with cpanel.

What's the best way to do this?

I know you can do local installs but I want to get to grips with cpanel and some other tools.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

silvine wrote: »
    I want to set up a domain for testing a website but I don't want the site to be available/indexed by search engines engines. I am using a hosting provider with cpanel.

What's the best way to do this?

I know you can do local installs but I want to get to grips with cpanel and some other tools.

There are two ways of doing this, the you can create a robots.txt file there with noindex, but there is no guarentee that search engines will honour it (The big ones normally do though).

What I normally do for my dev servers is just password protect the entire directory (There should be an option to password protect within cpanel, perhalps within the file manager, or assuming is running on apache, you can use a generator like the one here - http://www.htpasswdgenerator.net/ )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Thanks, I'll look for the password option. Am I correct in saying this will cover the sub domains I set up too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

silvine wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll look for the password option. Am I correct in saying this will cover the sub domains I set up too?

Not always, you might need to set it up individually for each one. It depends on how apache is configured there.

Advertisement