Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a decent UPC Modem?

• 19-02-2013 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I'm expecting UPC out this afternoon to (hopefully) replace my Ambit 256 modem which has started to have issues. Is there a particular modem I should be aiming for? I have a Linksys E1000 running DD-WRT as my router at the moment. I see some threads reporting issues with some modems/routers used by UPC.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There isnt one really. EPC units are having a heap of trouble atm and the thompson(trickier to get) doesnt support bridging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

They will send you a Cisco 3925, when you get it out it into bridge mode and use your own router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Awesome.:D I'm expecting a technician out specifically to look at modem. Is it unlikely he'll have one in the van? Are there any other issues I should expect with the Cisco if I can avoid using it as a router? I'm also wondering should I try to stick with the Ambit 256 or is it old technology? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

They have to replace any 256s they see apparently. I got an epc, seems OK so fast. Have my E1000 hooked up to it the same as it was to old modem.

Advertisement