Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Irish Shows 2013, Cork, Belfast, Dublin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 darrenoconaill

theglobe wrote: »
    I reckon the marquee is a bit of a ****e venue for a band like The National. Sound system is poor down there.

Agree. Thought the sound was poor. Everything sounded muffled to me. Frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Just home from Cork, and I am still on a high from last night.
    Great gig, a bit let down by the sound early on, I found it very hard to hear what they were saying between songs at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Found the sound to be pretty bad at the start, the vocals were being drowned out at times but a few songs in it seemed to improve, apart from that I really enjoyed the gig and venue, nice atmopshere around the place before and after the gig, security etc were all sound out and great atmosphere in the crowd during the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭roll

the sound on the vocals was very poor-apart from that and people yapping it was a very good gig! doing most of the new album and a good chunk of alligator and tieing it all together was impressive... great evening....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

You'll always struggle to get sound in the marque unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

roll wrote: »
    the sound on the vocals was very poor-apart from that and people yapping it was a very good gig! doing most of the new album and a good chunk of alligator and tieing it all together was impressive... great evening....

I think it was more his vocals being off than the sound. Squalor Victoria was awful to be honest, he was flat for most of it, granted it's a song that's harsh on the pipes.

I seem to be in the minority from talking to people but where i was, the crowd were brutal. From people looking up cocktail bars to go after the gig during songs continually chatting, turning their back on the band, not applauding I guess I got unlucky in the few places I moved to.

I enjoyed the show, not a patch on the olympia ones loud songs much better than the quiet ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

lordgoat wrote: »
    I think it was more his vocals being off than the sound. Squalor Victoria was awful to be honest, he was flat for most of it, granted it's a song that's harsh on the pipes.

I seem to be in the minority from talking to people but where i was, the crowd were brutal. From people looking up cocktail bars to go after the gig during songs continually chatting, turning their back on the band, not applauding I guess I got unlucky in the few places I moved to.

I enjoyed the show, not a patch on the olympia ones loud songs much better than the quiet ones.

I didnt notice his vocals being off besides the one you mentioned, Squalor Victoria, struggled with the later part of it. I agree about the crowd too and you definitely wouldnt be in the minority about it.

Anywhere where you can leave the main area of the concert and come back in with drink is gonna be like that unfortunately. A lot of yapping and people uninterested in songs they didnt
    know. Still enjoyed it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Just on the talking and gig etiquette, this is what I said when The National were announced.
    I've gone to a lot of gigs in Cork and the noise level from the crowd has been very frustrating.

Beach House at the Opera House last year was incredibly annoying and when I went to Shabazz Palaces in The Pavillion a group of people in the back started singing happy birthday in the middle of the act!!!

I really hope that this doesn't happen for The National.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences.

If you were upset by some of the talking at The National, it was nothing compared to other gigs i've been at in Cork. Perhaps it was where I was standing this time around.

Recalling Beach House and when they played Norway, the hum from the crowd ruined it and I'm pretty sure the band were getting very frustrated with the background noise

It seems that some people need to learn that going to a gig means that you stfu when the band is playing.

I love having acts come to Cork and I don't get to see enough live music as a trip to Dublin invariably involves a stay over and added expense. If the attitudes dont change or people dont start actively telling people to shut up then my live music trips are going to get fewer and fewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I was standing literally in the front and the hum of people talking was a bit annoying for the quieter songs anyways. About Today is my favourite National song and thought it was a real treat to hear it but I could just hear people talking through it and it was kind of annoying. Having said that it didn't ruin the night for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭roll

Just on the talking and gig etiquette, this is what I said when The National were announced.

If you were upset by some of the talking at The National, it was nothing compared to other gigs i've been at in Cork. Perhaps it was where I was standing this time around.

Recalling Beach House and when they played Norway, the hum from the crowd ruined it and I'm pretty sure the band were getting very frustrated with the background noise

It seems that some people need to learn that going to a gig means that you stfu when the band is playing.

I love having acts come to Cork and I don't get to see enough live music as a trip to Dublin invariably involves a stay over and added expense. If the attitudes dont change or people dont start actively telling people to shut up then my live music trips are going to get fewer and fewer.

its funny-this was my second time to the marquee and i remember liking the marquee coz the bar was a good distance away and therefore no nattering... and 'about today' was almost ruined by the chat... but again, great night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Joe95

Does anyone know the support act for the Dublin show in November?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The National documentary was in Galway recently but I was just back from holidays that day so missed it. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I opened the postbox yesterday to find my National tickets had arrived.

It's always nice to finally have them in your hands!

Not long to go now....

Quite surprising to see this thread has been so quiet.

Are many people going to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Got my ticket, keep forgetting to pay my girlfriend back though... Woops!
    Anyway, very excited. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sinead88

Flying to Belfast for the show on Saturday. Extremely excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Got tickets for Dublin spur of the moment today. Only seemed to be seated ones left so presume standing had sold out.. Never been to the 02, what's it like for sound? Are the seated sections miles from the stage? (Going to be in section C row 27)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

'This is the kit' are the support...pretty sure it was the same support in Cork.

From what I remember they were very good but I guess I would have preferred a new band.

Monday booked off work, cannot wait for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Eod100 wrote: »
    Got tickets for Dublin spur of the moment today. Only seemed to be seated ones left so presume standing had sold out.. Never been to the 02, what's it like for sound? Are the seated sections miles from the stage? (Going to be in section C row 27)

I think the sound is quite good, i'm sure there are some sound aficionados who could go into more detail but I think it's decent.

With the way the seating is tiered, no matter where you're sitting you're still quite close to the action in the O2 too. I was only seated once for Muse and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

Fyi...if you'd prefer standing tickets I'd check out toutless as you may find someone willing to swap!

Setlist from this October. Virtually all of Trouble Will Find Me.

I've been listening to them a lot recently, loving Graceless.

starlight-theater-kansas-city-mo-3c721f7.html

• Advertisement

link

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Mistaken For Strangers not in recent setlists. :eek:

Easy Rod wrote: »
    'This is the kit' are the support...pretty sure it was the same support in Cork.

From what I remember they were very good but I guess I would have preferred a new band.

Monday booked off work, cannot wait for this!

I'm off Monday week for QOTSA so I can't take this Monday off.

To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

How is this gig not sold out yet?!? Really looking forward to it aswell as i couldn't get tickets for the olympia shows last time.

dinneenp wrote: »

link

Yeah half of it seems to be from Trouble. Pretty identical to the set they played in Cork during the summer, would have thought they'd have changed it up a small bit more but guess it's the same tour ..

http://www.thegmanworld.com/2013/07/setlist-national-live-at-marquee-cork.html

How is this gig not sold out yet?!? Really looking forward to it aswell as i couldn't get tickets for the olympia shows last time.

Think it's a capacity issue, 02 has a capacity of 14,500 (if Wiki can be trusted) and also with their shows in Cork during the summer and Belfast soon, people that would normally have travelled up to Dublin to see them have a chance to see them closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

I guess so. Looking at ticketmaster, there are only tickets for a few seated sections left, so it should be close to sold out by Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Buck

Hi all,
    I could be under pressure to get there on time. Does anyone know what time The National will take to the stage? The tickets say 8pm but I'm guessing that is when the support comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Buck wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I could be under pressure to get there on time. Does anyone know what time The National will take to the stage? The tickets say 8pm but I'm guessing that is when the support comes on.

The general rule is about 9-9.30ish. You could ask the promoter through their FB or Twitter accounts:

https://www.facebook.com/aikenpromotions

https://twitter.com/aikenpromotions

• Advertisement

Buck wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was even thinking that was doors.. Yeah best check with promoter though, if you've no luck with the Aiken twitter account, might be worth trying @foggynotions ,think he's a promoter with them.

Advertisement