Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Irish Shows 2013, Cork, Belfast, Dublin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 akaskero2

akaskero2 wrote: »
    Hi folks, heading to this tonight but after belfast last night not sure I can handle standing so if anyone has two seated tickets and would rather stand give me a shout. Cheers!

Hey all, still have these even anyone wants to stand rather than sit - cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Well that was pretty amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Super gig. Bit mental the way Matt went right into the middle of the crowd while singing towards the end. Great choice of song for the last of the encore; Vanderlyle.

Gotta say as well, first time using the Priority Lounge and the experience is making me seriously consider staying with O2 once my contract is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr Soft

Great gig. Had read about Rains of Castamere being played last night so was slightly disappointed we didn't get it. But getting Available and the closing part of Cardinal Song was worth the entrance alone.

Great band, loved About Today. Moved to the back of the crowd because of loads of people halfway up talking all the way through the first 6-7 songs. Not playing crowd police and always thought people complaining about this before we're being a bit precious but it was very annoying when a few groups of people were shouting over Secret Meeting and a few other songs.

But they didn't ruin my night, had a great night! Looking forward to seeing them again already!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Jesus H....still on a high after that concert! Absolutely top class. One of the top 10 I was ever at. I thought that the crowd in general were slow to warm up. But they did at times. Vanderlyle acoustic was unreal..as was about today. Matt sure knows how to neck a bottle! I'd love to be going to the uk shows. England was one of the highlights for me along with mr November....There were too many to list though......overall brilliant gig!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

That was absolutely amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

The boys know how to put on a show in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Matt also said hard to find was 'a bit cheesy but sincere nonetheless'.....Nothing cheesy about the concert tbf!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

'kin ell... now that was a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

That was a thing of beauty and perfection, won't forget it, thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Matt also said hard to find was 'a bit cheesy but sincere nonetheless'.....Nothing cheesy about the concert tbf!

he said 'this next ones for you dublin'... then said 'that sounded a bit cheesy but singer nonetheless'.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I thought that the crowd in general were slow to warm up. But they did at times. Vanderlyle acoustic was unreal..as was about today.

The folk around us were very subdued, almost seemed more fun at the back. Unreal gig all the same, About Today and Afraid of Everyone being my own highlights. Some lad pissed beside us in the middle of the crowd, people didnt seem so subdued then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

That was impressive. Maybe I'm easily impressed, but I really loved the graphics on the screen behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

fantastic gig, my first time seeing them and I was blown away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Loved Jimmy the guitarist (I don't know his name) playing the second guitar in I Need My Girl by smacking the head of it off the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Magic stuff. As others have said was a little gutted when I heard Belfast got The Rains Of Castamere but About Today, Available and Vanderlyle certainly negated my envy.

Really hoping this fella has more videos to upload of this quality:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think Pink Rabbits was my favourite, the heart and emotion Matt puts into the performance makes it something really spectacular, the order in which the songs were played really meant for a perfect tempo for the night,
    and as it went on, you just got more and more absorbed into it.

As someonelse mentioned the visuals along with the sounds were brillant.
    My only disappointment was This is the Last Time, was expecting better, but swings and roundabouts, and can't wait to see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I liked that they had string and horn sections.
    Loved how guiraist used violin string to play the guitar and also banged the head of the guitar on the ground to get a sound.
    And Matt SCREAMING at the end of some songs.
    Great enegry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Loved it. Missed 'All the Wine', but pretty much everything else I really wanted to hear was played, even 'Available' that was a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Had a mini heart attack when we got to the O2 at 8 and we could hear Fake Empire being played. Took us a good 30 seconds to realise it was coming from a car that was parked near the queue and we hadn't missed a huge chunk of the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Such a great gig! If anyone in Cork's interested this documentary on the National is on during the film festival on Friday:

http://www.corkfilmfest.org/2013/films/mistaken-strangers/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Still can't get over how good this was.

We were about 7 rows from the front and the crowd were great, everyone was out for a good time with no messy a$$holes.

On a side note, Matt can really put away the sauce. He had a full glass at the start, then the bottle which he gave to the 3 boys at the front. He had a new one then for the encore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Absolutely brilliant gig!

Saw them in the Marquee earlier this year and was standing for that so enjoyed it a bit more. Got seated tickets this time, don't think the National are really a band I'd like to sit for again, too much passion to sit there politely and worry about smacking the fella next to you. Saying that the setup is veeeery nice there :D

Gig was on a par at the Marquee, similar enough setlist (I Should Live in Salt is a fantastic opening song!). Absolutely love Squalor Victoria live (And have been watching videos of it all day), so that was an absolute treat. Available was a nice touch and Vanderlye is a perfect way to bring the curtain down (and funny when he got a bit lost in the middle of it!). Loved when he ****ed the pint up into the air and tried to get it on the volley as well, and he seems to have an extreme dislike to mic stands XD

First time I trekked upto Dublin for a gig and despite getting back for around 3 in the morning and having to get up at 9 this morning it was more than worth it! Buzzing all the way back down!

Highlight of the gig had to be yer man's reaction after getting the wine bottle, anyone else see that on the screen? Pure Irish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

irishbuzz wrote: »
    Magic stuff. As others have said was a little gutted when I heard Belfast got The Rains Of Castamere but About Today, Available and Vanderlyle certainly negated my envy.

Really hoping this fella has more videos to upload of this quality:

I'm about 70% sure that's my hand at the 3 min mark!:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Slow Show was my fav.

Absolutely brilliant show but still prefer all the Olympia shows to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Didn't think it was a patch on the Olympia shows. If I'd no frame of reference I probably have thought it was great gig as I love the band so much but having seen them in much more intimate venues previous times knowing how special those gigs were made last night a real letdown personally. It isn't any kind of snobbery towards the venue but I just feel The National are truly something special in smaller more intimate venues where I think the music translates far better. Last night didn't hold a candle to previous gigs for myself.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

opr wrote: »
    Didn't think it was a patch on the Olympia shows.

I loved the gig but I tend to agree that they are more suited to intimate venues. I’ll never forget seeing them in the Olympia back in Snowy December 2010. I thought the crowd were quite enough on Sunday and I could hear lots of talking during some of slower numbers. The encore was really strong. I hope they come back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mcw100

Loved every minute of it... was well back from the front so I had plenty of room to dance. Agree the crowd took a while to get going but they did where I was eventually... Better vibe in Cork during the summer although sound was much better in the o2. Please come back soon guys I am slightly depressed today its all over.. Has anyone got footage of Mr November? Greatly appreciated tks..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

great gig. The man really puts himself into the show and leaves nothing behind.

I was fairly suprised how quiet the crowd was for the first 30 or 40 mins, but things went up a notch after a while. a lot of talking during the slow songs which was doing my head in.

Had the obligatoy chip on their shoulder cork folk beside us who would not shut up comparing every song to the cork gig and how the cork crowd were way better. I think they came to the gig just so they could go home and say Cork was better than Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mcw100

miller82 wrote: »
    Had the obligatoy chip on their shoulder cork folk beside us who would not shut up comparing every song to the cork gig and how the cork crowd were way better. I think they came to the gig just so they could go home and say Cork was better than Dublin

The reason there was such a better vibe at the Cork gig was because the majority of people there were there to cut loose & enjoy themselves..unlike the gig in Dublin where there were alot of people who had spent alot of time getting ready to get the "look" just right, trying to look cool & were very reserved...just my view ;) for God sake it was The National enjoy yourselves :D p.s Slow Show was my fav too

Advertisement