Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Irish Shows 2013, Cork, Belfast, Dublin.

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

mcw100 wrote: »
    The reason there was such a better vibe at the Cork gig was because the majority of people there were there to cut loose & enjoy themselves..unlike the gig in Dublin where there were alot of people who had spent alot of time getting ready to get the "look" just right, trying to look cool & were very reserved...just my view ;) for God sake it was The National enjoy yourselves :D p.s Slow Show was my fav too

That was hardly the crowd to be fair, I saw one hipster in a sea of slightly over weight hairy men.
    No idea what the cork show was like but the crowd in Dublin was grand, bar a little chatty.

I think next time I go to a gig, I'm sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mcw100

CianRyan wrote: »
    That was hardly the crowd to be fair, I saw one hipster in a sea of slightly over weight hairy men.
    No idea what the cork show was like but the crowd in Dublin was grand, bar a little chatty.

I think next time I go to a gig, I'm sitting.

Nooooooo man, don't do it you gotta dance, might as well stay at home if you're gonna sit down...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Slow show was probably my favourite from the Marquee gig too probably because I didn't expect it. It's so good live.

In London now and I would love to see there gig here tomorrow and Thursday I think.

mcw100 wrote: »
    Nooooooo man, don't do it you gotta dance, might as well stay at home if you're gonna sit down...

Problem is, I've got to be very drunk to dance and I want to be able to remember the gig.
    I'd love bmto be able to kick back and just take it all in... That said I had a bit of a jump around during the encore. :D
    Dodgy as my knee may be.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Problem is, I've got to be very drunk to dance and I want to be able to remember the gig.
    I'd love bmto be able to kick back and just take it all in... That said I had a bit of a jump around during the encore. :D
    Dodgy as my knee may be.

I was at Depeche Mode the night before so I had my night of drinking Sat night, badly hungover on Sunday so was drinking Coffee :o

• Advertisement

You're stronger willed than I, it took all of my strength just to get out there in the cold, with a hang over I may not have made it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Sunday night in Dublin.... it took the crowd a long time to get into it I think. Not necessarily the fault of the band maybe, Sunday crowds are often like this. People might have had a hard weekend (I was just home from a stag so would certainly consider myself part of the problem), they all have work tomorrow... whatever. The early part of the gig was pretty much dominated by TWFM songs which I'm sure less people are familiar with. Plus Sunday was a pretty sh*tty night weather wise so maybe some people might have chosen to drive and sacrificed the few pints that would have loosened them up. Venue might not have helped either... us National fans tend to be more comfortable in the smaller/more intimate venues ;)

Once the crowd finally did wake up though it was exceptional. Pink Rabbits... what an absolute beast of a song that is and it sounded brilliant. For me its definitely right up there with their best (Geese of Beverly Road still my favourite, sadly missing on Sunday!). England is another in particular that sounded excellent and its always great to hear Slow Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Thought Berninger's voice was undeniably ropey for a half hour or so, got it together somewhat after maybe a half-dozen songs.
    The string section was drowned out quite a bit too.

My first time seeing them and I thought it was good, on the whole, but certainly not great.

I was also super-jealous that Belfast got "The Rains of Castamere" and we didn't, but on the bright side
    we didn't all get murdered by Lannister cohorts
    . The North remembers.

Please please can someone post footage of Mr. November from o2 Dublin if they have it?:) Thanks so much

Well it looks like I'll be seeing them again tomorrow night at the Alexandra Palace!

I'll be there saying "It was way better in Cork" :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sinead88

The Belfast show was one of the best gigs I've ever been to, hands down! They played pretty much every song I had hoped would be on the setlist, and did an amazing encore. Rains of Castamere was unbelievable. I'm actually sad that it's over. I want to go again!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

Last sunday was definitely better than cork and cork was very good.... They filled out the O2 very well in my humble opinion! As a criticism I think they could change the encore a bit.... great night though!

Can't wait for tonight now. Here's their setlist from last night.

Alexandra Palace Setlist

I'd still love to hear Exile Vilify live but I haven't seen a set list with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

tok9 wrote: »

Alexandra Palace Setlist

I would've loved Exile Vilify last Sunday too but setlist.fm's statistics made me loose all hope : http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/the-national-53d69b79.html?song=Exile+Vilify

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Alexandra Palace Setlist

Really not a fan of that venue but can't knock that band, great gig last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Today fm have up the podcast of them on the Paul McLoone show.

Played This is the end, Pink Rabbits and I Need My Girl*.

*No guitars being lashed off the ground this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

That was so good last night.

I would say they performed better last night than in Cork but that could have been due to the sound and where I was at both gigs. That said, they were both amazing gigs.

I will say I thought the crowd was a bit flat (possibly due to midweek gig as opposed to a weekend) but we really picked up for the last 8 or so songs.

The National were amazing themselves... honestly class and I could not believe when they came on for the encore and started playing Exile Vilify! Funny thing was Matt wasn't ready so they stopped and restarted :D Thought they were going to play something else.. fortunately they did play it and I loved it.

Vanderlye Crybaby Geeks was absolutely amazing too.. just awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sinead88

That was so good last night.

I would say they performed better last night than in Cork but that could have been due to the sound and where I was at both gigs. That said, they were both amazing gigs.

I will say I thought the crowd was a bit flat (possibly due to midweek gig as opposed to a weekend) but we really picked up for the last 8 or so songs.

The National were amazing themselves... honestly class and I could not believe when they came on for the encore and started playing Exile Vilify! Funny thing was Matt wasn't ready so they stopped and restarted :D Thought they were going to play something else.. fortunately they did play it and I loved it.

Vanderlye Crybaby Geeks was absolutely amazing too.. just awesome.

Can't believe ye got Exile Vilify. I really wanted to hear that live. We did get Rains of Castamere though so I suppose I can't complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

There's a few National songs on this tour EP if anyone's worth checking out!

http://www.noisetrade.com/thisisthekit/autumn-euuk-tour-ep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Ahh can't believe I didn't see this thread until now! Wow, what an amazing gig, one of my favorites! Still thinking about it ever since! A brief summary of my thoughts on the night :)

I wasn't sure how I felt about them playing in such a large arena due to their sound and Matt's voice but my god, they pulled it off so well and it sounded incredible! First time sitting at a gig and I actually loved it - I could see everything that was going on - could sit back, enjoy the music (while my legs went 90!) and watch Matt's crazy antics onstage :). I couldn't have asked for a better set-list, 26 songs like, quality! Delighted they played Apartment Story too!

So to conclude, The National are f****n awesome :D

Also, I have a sh*tty video of Vanderlyle up on YouTube if anyone's interested

Advertisement