Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs and fines

• 19-02-2013 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

I walk my dog almost every day and as a responsible dog owner I carry poo bags and clean up after him along the way. I only noticed today along the route I walk a sign warning about fines for not cleaning up after your dog and that dogwalkers should bring the poop home! I saw a similar sign on a bin stating that dog owners should bring home the poo and bin it at home (can't remember the exact wording but that's what it meant).

The signs didn't say not to put the stuff in the public bins but if I do would i be breaking a litter law? Maybe somebody on boards can clarify.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I can't see any basis for requiring owners to bring the poo home. It's litter, you put it in the public litter bin, you can't be fined.

Do these signs quote any bye-laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

seamus wrote: »
    I can't see any basis for requiring owners to bring the poo home. It's litter, you put it in the public litter bin, you can't be fined.

Do these signs quote any bye-laws?

Thanks Seamus.
    Next time I'm out I will have a closer look at the signs to see if there anything about bye-laws but nonetheless these fines are hefty and I won't be taking any chances. Just wondering if these signs are particular to the town I am living in (midlands) or have other dog owners noted the wording on signs in their localities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

I live in the midlands and have always put the dog poop bags in public litter bins when out walking our dog. I never noticed anything to indicate I wasnt allowed. Sheesh! I hope this isnt the case. When we walk our guy we can be out for an hour and he usually goes within the first 10 minutes so having to carry it until we get back home again wouldnt be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I wouldnt think so, I too walk my dog and always clean up after him, if there is a bin nearby then i will dispose of it there, otherwise i hold it until i see a bin.... if i dont see one then i will bring it home with me etc :rolleyes:

Maybe it because some dog owners clean up the poo but then throw the full bags in the bushes (something i just dont understand, its a bad as not picking it up in the first place) etc? Maybe thats who they are aiming it at? ;)

It's worse chucking the bags in the bushes I think. At least the poop is biodegradable but most poop bags are plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 jagerboy

I agree 100% with cocker5

I pick up my dogs poo because it's the right thing to do, not because of any fine threats.

Has anybody EVER actually been fined for this though?? I don't remember ever been out for a walk (with or without the dog) and not seen dog poo along the way. Or indeed for that matter have I ever seen a litter warden!

I live on the northside of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Any bin will do stickers up all over the place here in Dublin Bay North...
    http://mariaparodi.ie/2012/08/bag-the-poo-any-bin-will-do/

Good to know :)

Wonder will it improve the situation. I see so many dog owners just point blank looking the other way when their dog fouls on a public walkway or green.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

jagerboy wrote: »
    I agree 100% with cocker5

I pick up my dogs poo because it's the right thing to do, not because of any fine threats.

Has anybody EVER actually been fined for this though?? I don't remember ever been out for a walk (with or without the dog) and not seen dog poo along the way. Or indeed for that matter have I ever seen a litter warden!

I live on the northside of Dublin.

So do I but but in my opening post my point is that I am concerned with being fined for putting the poo in the litter bins as I do at the moment and not bringing it home with me. I have no difficulty whatsoever bringing it home and binning it in my own waste bin,

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jagerboy

Sorry Tisserand, I didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at you. Just that I can't understand people that don't pick up after their dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Ive seen those signs alright. Dont understand why you cant put dog poo in a public bin. Im sure theres a reason but mine goes in the nearest bin anyway. Its better than the dirtbags leaving it all over the paths. And i dont mean the dogs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Considering how much human poo (in nappies usually :D) I see in bins it's hardly that bad putting dog poo in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Shame there isn't someone patrolling beaches & public toilets including those belonging to shopping centres to fine all the parents who leave their child's dirty nappies lying on the ground. Like with dog poop left on the ground, who do they think is going to pick it up? Equally disgusting. So if anyone ever challenges me about putting my dog poo in the bin, they'll get an earful...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

In my local parks people usually decide to hang the dog poop bags from branches of trees, it is absolutely disgusting in the summer months seeing flies swarming around branches. You should definately be allowed dispose of the bags in public bins after having the decency to pick it up in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

tolow wrote: »
    In my local parks people usually decide to hang the dog poop bags from branches of trees, it is absolutely disgusting in the summer months seeing flies swarming around branches. You should definately be allowed dispose of the bags in public bins after having the decency to pick it up in the first place.
    I really don't understand what kind of special moron does this. It's like they're not satisfied at making enough of a nuisance by leaving it on the path, instead they decide to leave it within eyeshot (and noseshot) of everyone.

At least on the ground it would biodegrade...

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

tolow wrote: »
    I heard this is quite common in many parks of the U.K. I would do voluntary overtime to nip it in the bud here. Some Councils are promoting "any bag any bin" in public places as best practice.

Advertisement