Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Advice - Turbos

Options
  • 19-02-2013 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how people get the best out of using training videos for indoor training.

Looking at the Sufferfest videos they encourage you to work at varying efforts, to attack, climb etc.

How do you manage these workouts best? Do you operate them in the same way as the real world, up and down the gears, adjusting trainer resistance to suit the situation?

I'm guessing the advanced systems using trainerroad and computrainer etc will automatically adjust the resistance but I'm using a standard x5 setting turbo at the moment and want to get the best out of it if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I'm using the Tacx Booster turbo at the moment. I just leave it on one resistance setting, the lowest usually, and use the gears to adjust the resistance.

Trainer road doesn't adjust the resistance for you, but because of some computer magic can tell when you change the gear and adjust the power to match this. You follow a graph on the screen and match your power to the power it's telling you to put out.

I've used trainer road and sufferfest videos and trainer road with sufferfest. I find the trainer road the best to be honest, without it it's too easy just too back off. With trainer road it shows you on the screen exactly what your doing and how it matches to what you should be doing. Costs around 7 euro a month but for me it's well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

For sufferfest there is an excel sheet that you can enter in your FTP and it will give you the power for each zone.

I will then change gears and the resistance to meet the session, if its a virtual hill I will up the resistance etc.
    Also I stick a lump of wood under the front wheel to have it elevated a few inches, this brings in lower back muscles which you would use when climbling in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Just wondering how people get the best out of using training videos for indoor training.

Looking at the Sufferfest videos they encourage you to work at varying efforts, to attack, climb etc.

How do you manage these workouts best? Do you operate them in the same way as the real world, up and down the gears, adjusting trainer resistance to suit the situation?

I'm guessing the advanced systems using trainerroad and computrainer etc will automatically adjust the resistance but I'm using a standard x5 setting turbo at the moment and want to get the best out of it if possible.

HAHA manually changing wattage :)

Advertisement