Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is a PC Brigade and how has it stifled you?

• 19-02-2013 2:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭

Has the PC Brigade stifled you lately? Has it had a direct impact on your day to day life? Have you any amusing anecdotes about it going mad, somewhere in your locality?

Answers in red crayon, please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

In England, where I live, they are now scrapping seperate-sex toilets and making toilets unisex to please transsexuals. I don't want to share toilets with men and see them pissing at the urinals.

old hippy wrote: »
    Has the PC Brigade stifled you lately? Has it had a direct impact on your day to day life? Have you any amusing anecdotes about it going mad, somewhere in your locality?

It has stifled me by pulling me up on the racism, homphobia, xenophobia and sexism, that I used to get away with spouting by telling people I just 'say it like it is'.

I try to sidestep it by claiming the people who try to be PC are sheep afraid of offending anyone, but really I'm just annoyed I don't get to be offensive anymore.

:(

I'm very sad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

What exactly is a PC brigade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

In England, where I live, they are now scrapping seperate-sex toilets and making toilets unisex to please transsexuals. I don't want to share toilets with men and see them pissing at the urinals.

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm part of the PC Brigade, I get off by stifling everyone else and pissing on their parade :pac:

****s sake, straight out of the daily mail :rolleyes:

and you know what? unisex toilets wouldn't be a bad thing either, everyone would have their own cubicles and privacy. oh dear, the sky would fall! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Drakares wrote: »

A group of misguided individuals who think that everyone is equal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You know, the Personal Computer brigade.........
    The guys who haven't moved with the times and accepted that the cloud, tablets and smartphones are where it's at.
    Right bunch of Neanderthals they are too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

A big truck with flashing lights that sorts out any emergency you might have with you PC.

A group of misguided individuals who think that everyone is equal.

No, a group of egalitarian individuals who believe everybody should be treated equally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Thomas_I

I´d say it´s something like the "good behaviour police".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

*waggles penis @ StormWarrior*

teehee!

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm part of the PC Brigade, I get off by stifling everyone else and pissing on their parade :pac:

****s sake, straight out of the daily mail :rolleyes:

and you know what? unisex toilets wouldn't be a bad thing either, everyone would have their own cubicles and privacy. oh dear, the sky would fall! :eek:

Most women don't want to share a toilet with strange men pissing at urinals. Secondly, the city of Brighton alone is spending £140,000 changing the toilets to unisex. In France they already have unisex toilets with no cubicles, looks like we are heading that way. I seriously doubt most people want to share toilets with the opposite sex with or without cubicles but of course it's only fair that the majority should be displeased to please a minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

My sense of humor often involves taking stupidity and dragging it to the extreme in a very dry manner. It annoys me when people then tell me not to make Jewish or racist jokes because they fail to realise I'm taking the piss out of neo-Nazis or whoever it might be.

It may be low-brow humor but it still seems to go over every-other person's head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Imagine how you'd feel trying to choose between male and female facilities if you were infact a transgendered person? Most businesses couldnt afford / don't have the room for a 3rd bathroom option.

There's plenty of unisex bathrooms on the continent and no one seems to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Anyone else thinking of the Bathroom scene in Step Brothers?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Candie wrote: »
    No, a group of egalitarian individuals who believe everybody should be treated equally.

Dreamers so!! :pac:

Imagine how you'd feel trying to choose between male and female facilities if you were infact a transgendered person? Most businesses couldnt afford / don't have the room for a 3rd bathroom option.

There's plenty of unisex bathrooms on the continent and no one seems to mind

My heart bleeds, what a predicament. A brilliant use of hundreds of thousands of pounds when the NHS is understaffed and starving people are queuing up at food banks.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Most women don't want to share a toilet with strange men pissing at urinals. Secondly, the city of Brighton alone is spending £140,000 changing the toilets to unisex. In France they already have unisex toilets with no cubicles, looks like we are heading that way. I seriously doubt most people want to share toilets with the opposite sex with or without cubicles but of course it's only fair that the majority should be displeased to please a minority.

I really don't get why people are so caught up on the idea of unisex toilets, are the toilets in your house separated by sex too?

it just makes sense for unisex toilets to be available, especially in public places like shopping centers and such. what if you've got a woman with a little boy who needs to go pee? does she take him to the men's room or the women's room? same if it's a dad who needs to bring his daughter to the toilet.

when it comes to it, I doubt anyone will actually care about toilets apart from a few daily mail readers who still froth at the mouth when the gays get rights

& I don't want to see some ole'dear pissing in the male urinals! :eek:

• Advertisement

I used to always go on about how bad the Irish are at carrying out DNA tests but apparently that's "offensive" now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

The PC Brigade are the little known off-shoot of the Irish Fire Services whose responsibility it is to spray righteous and god fearing conservatives with thick jets of tolerance and loving care mixed with gay mens sperm.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The idea behind it is pretty good but unfortunately the implementation of it sucks.

Terms like homophobe, sexist, racist and xenophobe are used all too often by those arguing for minority groups who don't like seeing their views challenged. As such, the views of these individuals quite often goes unchallenged.

If someone is offended by something, to quote Stephen Fry: "so f**king what". This idea that nobody should ever say anything that offends anyone else is utterly moronic, given that anyone can just declare offense to just about anything.

I'm offended by political correctness, which from now on means anyone discussing it is an intolerant bigot.

My heart bleeds, what a predicament. A brilliant use of hundreds of thousands of pounds when the NHS is understaffed and starving people are queuing up at food banks.

transgender people suffer urinary tract and kidney infections at a much higher rate than the general population presicely because public toilets can be such a dangerous place and many would rather hold it in than risk harrassment or assault in public toilets.

but of course, boo hoo, **** them transgender weirdo's right? who cares if they get the **** knocked out of them for just going to the bathroom :rolleyes: who cares if stuff like this happens:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Whats the toilet seat rules in a unisex toilet then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Of all the things to get worked up about, this is hardly one of them. Every time taxpayers money is spent, you'll always find someone saying that it could have been spent better elsewhere. £140k is small change, tbh, and would barely make a dent in the NHS deficit.

I've used unisex toilets in Manchester. They were fine. There were no men using urinals in front of me and as I'm an adult, I wasn't traumatised by the experience of having to share the space with men while I queued and washed my hands afterwards.

It wouldn't hurt either to show some compassion to transgendered people. They didn't ask to be born that way, and a little understanding goes a long way. I also doubt that the sole reason the toilets are being upgraded is because of them, so your anger is misplaced.

Hmm, I think I'm a member of the PC brigade too. Do I get a hat or a badge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Or they could put in urinal rooms and cubicle rooms.
    vitani wrote: »
    Hmm, I think I'm a member of the PC brigade too. Do I get a hat or a badge?

Get both. Then put the badge on the hat. Stylin'.

I really don't get why people are so caught up on the idea of unisex toilets, are the toilets in your house separated by sex too?

it just makes sense for unisex toilets to be available, especially in public places like shopping centers and such. what if you've got a woman with a little boy who needs to go pee? does she take him to the men's room or the women's room? same if it's a dad who needs to bring his daughter to the toilet.

when it comes to it, I doubt anyone will actually care about toilets apart from a few daily mail readers who still froth at the mouth when the gays get rights

This doesn't explain why the cause of unisex toilets is so worthy and vital that hundreds of thousands of pounds must be spent on them at a time when so many people are going hungry and without medical treatment due to lack of funds.

And complaining about this toilet issue is hardly frothing at the mouth when gays get rights. Gays already have the same rights as anyone else, even marriage soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

A quick search on google does indeed show that 'Gender Neutral' toiletgate was reported in The Daily Mail and Mailonline. It is typical of this newspaper.

To clarify this is one development that contains 4 toilets and a cafe. Its not all public facilities in Brighton and Hove.

I'd also suggest that this does not reflect a pattern across the UK. This is headline grabbing. In ttruth there is no harm with shared facilities and it is no different to other coucils in the UK to introduce 'squat toilets' (City of Manchester Council) @ Rochdale Exchange Shoppibg Centre to cater for members of the muslim Asian community.

As for funding seems to a local parish council idea with support from the City Council funds are set aside for maintaining and building new facilities. I'd rather they'd build somewhere for people to pee than not to be honest...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I'd be interested to see Fry's reaction to someone calling him a <insert homophobic, anti-semitic insult here>.

People who say being offended is no big deal tend to be talking about others, not themselves. I agree some folks can be too sensitive and look for reasons to be offended (from the left and the right; it's not the sole preserve of the "liberals") but it's with good reason at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

megafan wrote: »
    & I don't want to see some ole'dear pissing in the male urinals! :eek:

I have seen plenty of unisex toilets and not even once they had urinals...just the good old stalls with a toilet seat.

Besides, the whole issue would be completely avoided if some women didn't put up the "ahhh, this girl was born with a penis! get her outta here!" attitude when it comes to restrooms.

This doesn't explain why the cause of unisex toilets is so worthy and vital that hundreds of thousands of pounds must be spent on them at a time when so many people are going hungry and without medical treatment due to lack of funds.

Yeah. Sure why should people be able to leave their own home without fear of getting beaten up if they go to the toilet or infections if they don't? If they just stayed locked away at home think of all the money that could be saved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I don't what to share toilets with women. They are dirtier, a few will hold the view that they can jump before guys and the queues! Why do they what to take away the only advantage of being a man? I suggest renaming them c0cks and boxes and you go into the bathroom that matchs you. People with kids go into the one matching them.
    Also consoles rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

old hippy wrote: »

I think all non EU citizens should be banned from coming to Ireland until we sort out our unemployment problems first.

I don't think same sex couples should be seen as equal to heterosexual couples when it comes to adoption rights.

I don't think the government should pay for anything that a pensioner can afford, like the free travel pass or a medical card.

I think education should be strictly secular, religion should be banned from every single classroom, (not Sunday school and that type of thing).

I think child benefit should be cut after the second child, (if you can't afford it, don't do it).

If it wasn't for the IRA Catholics/Nationalists in the north would be in a worse position than they are today.

PC brigade,

BRING IT ON!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

In England, where I live, they are now scrapping seperate-sex toilets

At the expense of increasing the risk of attack on women I imagine, if they're public toilets.

There's sort of unisex toilets in "The Church" pub in Dublin, where the room is divided in two.
    But a unisex public on-street toilet just doesn't sound safe, at least not at night time.

I know a man can walk into the ladies in separate toilets, but attacks would be more opportunistic in a unisex loo.

PC gone mad... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BRING IT ON!!!

I just don't have the free time to even get started.:)

Ehhhh I can't see how it'd cost anything more than new signs for the door? Just make both bathrooms in premises unisex, most men will still go to the one with the urinal as 95% of toilet visits are just for a piss.

It's a small gesture that makes life easier for a very marginalised section of society. The trans community has been left behind by the gay rights movement and societal attitudes in general. It disgusts me that it's seen as okay to make jokes about trans individuals in this day and age (looking at you Meteor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

awec wrote: »
    The idea behind it is pretty good but unfortunately the implementation of it sucks.

Terms like homophobe, sexist, racist and xenophobe are used all too often by those arguing for minority groups who don't like seeing their views challenged. As such, the views of these individuals quite often goes unchallenged.

If someone is offended by something, to quote Stephen Fry: "so f**king what". This idea that nobody should ever say anything that offends anyone else is utterly moronic, given that anyone can just declare offense to just about anything.

I'm offended by political correctness, which from now on means anyone discussing it is an intolerant bigot.

Bit of a straw man argument there perhaps? PC isn't about not offending people, its about treating everyone with the same respect, regardless of who they are.

"The victim believes this was a hate crime."

But yet she admitted at the start that she was attacked because the other girl thought she was coming onto her boyfriend. It sounds like the other girl didn't even know she was transgendered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

The pc brigade is a group of people who have led very sheltered lives with other like minded people who share their views and wish to impose them on the world.

I've have no problem with that if they want to go and try that in the slums of Rio or Johannesburg.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

tigger123 wrote: »
    Bit of a straw man argument there perhaps? PC isn't about not offending people, its about treating everyone with the same respect, regardless of who they are.
    Treating everyone with the same respect is the glossed up way of saying you shouldn't offend anyone.

If someone disagrees with gay marriage for example, should they tell that to gay people or should they just outright lie to their face if it comes up in conversation?

I'm just using that as a completely random example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Nah I just think the PC brigade is a loose definition for a broad spectrum of gimps who cry, bitch and moan when someone says something or holds an opinion which doesn't suit their self titled progressive, world view. :)

Gays already have the same rights as anyone else, even marriage soon.

Ya think? Mariage, adoption law, discrimination in the work place, in public places, in the news.

Why are people so preoccupied with who someone else chooses to ****? We're all people, no matter what one identifies as - get over it:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

And complaining about this toilet issue is hardly frothing at the mouth when gays get rights. Gays already have the same rights as anyone else, even marriage soon.

I thought transgender rights is separate from gay rights as its a gender identity issue and not a sexual orientation issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

tigger123 wrote: »

Thats not PC. Thats common courtesy.

I think all non EU citizens should be banned from coming to Ireland until we sort out our unemployment problems first.

I don't think same sex couples should be seen as equal to heterosexual couples when it comes to adoption rights.

I don't think the government should pay for anything that a pensioner can afford, like the free travel pass or a medical card.

I think education should be strictly secular, religion should be banned from every single classroom, (not Sunday school and that type of thing).

I think child benefit should be cut after the second child, (if you can't afford it, don't do it).

If it wasn't for the IRA Catholics/Nationalists in the north would be in a worse position than they are today.

PC brigade,

BRING IT ON!!!

Jeeeesssess Your Brave!!....... (but I agree with you!)

I thought transgender rights is separate from gay rights as its a gender identity issue and not a sexual orientation issue?

It falls under the "rainbow" and has a historic association with the LG(and B) movement. But you are correct gender identity and sexual orientation are separate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I guess you don't go to many dinner parties in Kemptown?

We have unisex at work. It's not that bad. :D

Of course no-one cares about the indigenous population of women not wanting to share toilets with strange men, but as there's such a huge policy of appeasment towards muslims, I'll also be interested to see what happens when Muslim women complain about this, as I'm sure they don't want to share toilets with men either. Muslim rights vs trans rights, the ultimate showdown.

Also, who really wants their 13 year old daughter using a public toilet alone with an old man?

I'd advise anyone who wants to know more about trans individuals and the trans rights movement to check out http://www.teni.ie/

My friends do brilliant work with them on a volunteer basis as the government recently cut their funding

• Advertisement
Advertisement