Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is a PC Brigade and how has it stifled you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

All the high fiving and patting each other on back in here Is gas :-). Got to love the way of the boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

All the high fiving and patting each other on back in here Is gas :-). Got to love the way of the boards.

O:-)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

People always go on about this, and people "ganging up" on others, but it's just people sharing the same opinion. We don't all PM each other and say "Hey, there's a poor, vulnerable spite-filled racist spouting off on After Hours, let's all gang up on him!"

The fact is that if you have an unpopular or downright stupid opinion, people will disagree with it.

Do you think there's something wrong with more than one person challenging a user who came out with some spectacularly racist, ill-informed nonsense?

People always go on about this, and people "ganging up" on others, but it's just people sharing the same opinion. We don't all PM each other and say "Hey, there's a poor, vulnerable spite-filled racist spouting off on After Hours, let's all gang up on him!"

The fact is that if you have an unpopular or downright stupid opinion, people will disagree with it.

Do you think there's something wrong with more than one person challenging a user who came out with some spectacularly racist, ill-informed nonsense?

I've no issue with it its part of being online you will always get it. I do just have to laugh at how quick little groups form ooo ill like all your posts and you like mine :-). Reminds me being in school again.

I've no issue with it its part of being online you will always get it. I do just have to laugh at how quick little groups form ooo ill like all your posts and you like mine :-). Reminds me being in school again.

That doesn't happen at all! I thank posts I think are good. Over time I'll tend to thank certain users more than others because I agree with their posts more often and/or find them better-written than others.
    I find these constant accusations of clique-formation against liberal (in a broad sense) users baffling. So much so, I'm going to use a confused smiley.

:confused:

That doesn't happen at all! I thank posts I think are good. Over time I'll tend to thank certain users more than others because I agree with their posts more often and/or find them better-written than others.
    I find these constant accusations of clique-formation against liberal (in a broad sense) users baffling. So much so, I'm going to use a confused smiley.

:confused:

It happens in most threads on here where there's an '' unpopular opinion'' The same people will like each others comments. I wasn't targeting any one person for doing it more a statement at how things are going. I've no issue with people not agreeing with me or someone else that's there opinion sure they can have that. Put it this way I'd rather go out unpopular on my own knowing I still believe in what I say then get some kinda inflated self importance in a group online :-)

It happens in most threads on here where there's an '' unpopular opinion'' The same people will like each others comments. I wasn't targeting any one person for doing it more a statement at how things are going. I've no issue with people not agreeing with me or someone else that's there opinion sure they can have that. Put it this way I'd rather go out unpopular on my own knowing I still believe in what I say then get some kinda inflated self importance in a group online :-)

Why do you think this is what's happening? Like I said, most people thank posts because they agree with them, think they're well-written, or think they're funny. There's no more thought behind it beyond that.

And it's only logical that posts disagreeing with an unpopular opinion will get more thanks than the unpopular opinion itself.
    That's how you know it's unpopular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Prince of non-PC has come up trumps again as mentioned in AH's favourite rag::pac:
    'The Philippines must be half-empty... you're all here running the NHS': Moment gaffe-prone Philip cracks another tasteless joke as he meets nurse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2281771/The-Philippines-half--youre-running-NHS-Gaffe-prone-Duke-Edinburgh-cracks-nurse-joke-hospital-ceremony.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why do you think this is what's happening? Like I said, most people thank posts because they agree with them, think they're well-written, or think they're funny. There's no more thought behind it beyond that.

And it's only logical that posts disagreeing with an unpopular opinion will get more thanks than the unpopular opinion itself.

He's being paranoid and thinks there is a conspiracy to gang up on him through thanking posts

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

You can only speak for yourself you don't know how others think. When you see the same people continue to like posts from same people at times when does not even matter what they say it's clear these people travel in groups and defend each other. Don't tell me that does not happen on here or anywhere else online.

He's being paranoid and thinks there is a conspiracy to gang up on him through thanking posts

Yep well done you have me sussed...

Ha I wasn't even talking bout myself saying it as remark in general. Told yas I'm done with what I was saying earlyer if anyone wants it go any further get in contact with me. I leave enough clues around here to where I can be found.

You can only speak for yourself you don't know how others think. When you see the same people continue to like posts from same people at times when does not even matter what they say it's clear these people travel in groups and defend each other. Don't tell me that does not happen on here or anywhere else online.

I've already said people, myself included, tend to thank some posters more than others.

But don't you think it's so much more likely that this happens because these people have similar opinions, as opposed to them travelling in groups (how does that work online? do we PM each other about all posting in the same thread at roughly the same time?) and defending each other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Okay. It's all a vast conspiracy. There are people who spend all day every day trawling internet forums for things to complain about.

Ladies and gentlemen, we're through the looking glass.

I've already said people, myself included, tend to thank some posters more than others.

But don't you think it's so much more likely that this happens because these people have similar opinions, as opposed to them travelling in groups (how does that work online? do we PM each other about all posting in the same thread at roughly the same time?) and defending each other?

Yes in most cases your right I'll admit that. But I have seen people team up on here and other places online before if that's how they want to do things grand there choice don't ask me give you an example lol I'd have to go threw every post on here.

Like I said it's part of how big groups of people work online chat rooms and forums are full of it.

Personally its not a big issue to me I just think it's funny how it works .A lot of the time if I see certain posters in a thread there will nearly always be a certain few others who appear not long after to fight the good fight along side them so to speak ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Push Pop

efb wrote: »
    Cos Japs Eye is so mature...

What do you call it then oh wise mature one. Please enlighten me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

twinQuins wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen, we're through the looking glass.

Is that you Milhouse?

ejmaztec wrote: »

So, so weird. I was just about to link that article and the sentence you made eerily similar...

Disclaimer: I went to the Daily Mail site for research purposes only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Push Pop wrote: »
    What do you call it then oh wise mature one. Please enlighten me.

urethra

efb wrote: »
    urethra

I accept defeat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Someone told me that japs-eye is now offensive. But that part of the anatomy clearly resembles that ethnic feature. I think the PC brigade need to provide me with a more appropriate non medical term for my japs-eye so I cant offend people any longer!!

I think you need to stop using offensive terms, instead.

• Advertisement

Well put it this way do u reckon if i kept telling u you where wrong it would make the slightest difference in how u approach things ?? Some how i doubt it.

I chose to keep my feelings to a degree to myself on here and hold back a bit after the last time i was banned for my own good for no one else s because i enjoy from time to time posting in certain areas of this site and most of the people on here ive no issues with.

What people do you have "issues" with? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Someone told me that japs-eye is now offensive. But that part of the anatomy clearly resembles that ethnic feature. I think the PC brigade need to provide me with a more appropriate non medical term for my japs-eye so I cant offend people any longer!!
    The popular song "turning japanese" is about masturbating i believe, we should ban that too!!! (the song and masturbating)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

The popular song "turning japanese" is about masturbating i believe, we should ban that too!!! (the song and masturbating)

Wrong.
    The man who wrote the song, David Fenton, denies any such meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

I don't like the fact that I cannot complain about the unfair monopoly on attention and indeed reparations with regard to the Holocaust simply because it is a colossal act of 'concetrated' evil. Especially because 'jews' in Europe were about as homogenous as Poles-Gays-Gypsy-Intellectuals etc.

Just using Poland as an example. They have never got reparations from Germany despite being ethnically cleansed and forced into slave labour.

Let me clear though, I want equitable attention and reparation/ diplomatic efforts and the Holocaust was horrible.

The guilt of Europe for their PreWW2 systemic anti-Semitism is now swung so far the other way that palestinians are getting bated daily with no recourse...

It's a crap song but I'm not calling for it to be banned :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    Just using Poland as an example. They have never got reparations from Germany despite being ethnically cleansed and forced into slave labour.
    Have a read of "the Holocaust Industry" by Norman G. Finkelstein. It makes for interesting reading on this point and one of the dodgiest parts of it are the Jews who were actually in the death camps and lost everything along with their families(some ended up with no living relatives left at all) don't see much of these reparations. Couple of thousand quid kinda thing. Finkelstein's own parents survived the Nazi bastards and their camps, but most of his family didn't. Raul Hilberg one of the greatest (and one of the earliest) scholars on the systematic destruction of European Jews agreed with his findings, actually reckoned he wasn't hard enough on some of the protagonists.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Have a read of "the Holocaust Industry" by Norman G. Finkelstein. It makes for interesting reading on this point and one of the dodgiest parts of it are the Jews who were actually in the death camps and lost everything along with their families(some ended up with no living relatives left at all) don't see much of these reparations. Couple of thousand quid kinda thing. Finkelstein's own parents survived the Nazi bastards and their camps, but most of his family didn't. Raul Hilberg one of the greatest (and one of the earliest) scholars on the systematic destruction of European Jews agreed with his findings, actually reckoned he wasn't hard enough on some of the protagonists.

Indeed, it's interesting to think that Jews=Israel to an extent that people with no relation to the Holocaust are essentially receiving reparations.

We should never forget, I'd actually be on the side that says berating Germans over is another thing that the PC brigade have got wrong. We should never be allowed forget that the Irish as a nation allowed the child abuse so why should a country that hasn't even compensated those it butchered and enslaved be forgein? Anyway enough about England :pac:

old hippy wrote: »

I think you need to stop using offensive terms, instead.

Chill out dude this here be After Hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I doubt PC types would agree with blaming modern-day Germans for the atrocities of 70 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Madam_X wrote: »
    I doubt PC types would agree with blaming modern-day Germans for the atrocities of 70 years ago.

Isn't 'we should be ashamed of the actions of our grandparents' a big part of modern German society though?

Not a bad philosophy to be fair, would be interesting if something like that were to enter Irish society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

P_1 wrote: »
    Isn't 'we should be ashamed of the actions of our grandparents' a big part of modern German society though?

Not a bad philosophy to be fair, would be interesting if something like that were to enter Irish society.
    I think encouraging shame for something you didn't do is a very dangerous outlook.

Madam_X wrote: »
    I think encouraging shame for something you didn't do is a very dangerous outlook.

I agree in a way but if it serves as a useful deterrent in avoiding repeating past mistakes it could be justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

This thread reminds me of when my father was introduced to his cousin's new Indian husband by my fathers aunt (his cousins mother).

His aunt ran into the house all excited, in front of the newlyweds, to announced they'd arrive and to assure everyone 'He's a bit black, but he's lovely!'

The poor woman, in her eighties, was delighted with her new son in law, but wouldn't know political correctness if it came up and bit her. Doesn't mean she's ignorant, or stupid. Just didn't know any better.

P_1 wrote: »

As far as I can tell the present generation of Germans carry no burden of imagined guilt, nor any shame. Nor should they.

Candie wrote: »
    As far as I can tell the present generation of Germans carry no burden of imagined guilt, nor any shame. Nor should they.

Actually I've been a bit of an eejit, I was thinking of the oath taken in the German military :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Rasheed wrote: »
    Doesn't mean she's ignorant, or stupid. Just didn't know any better.
    That really is the definition of ignorant, though.

Candie wrote: »

Unless of course their entire economic juggernaught was the result of Nazi industrialists or they hadn't made things right with the poles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

That really is the definition of ignorant, though.
    I mean ignorant as in 'thick and ignorant'. Probably a more colloquial way of saying 'she knows it's not right to say it but says it anyway.'

Which she's not.

Chill out dude this here be After Hours

Yes, the old lighten up/take a chill pill/it's a joke etc etc.

I don't go out of my way to be offended, when you hear people around you using offensive slurs and epithets, when you read it on these very forums it is hurtful. You used an offensive term and have been told so. You can chose to acknowledge it or carry on in the vein you have so far.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

This kind of recent nonsense shouldn't happen:
    Don't mention the ***: Censorship row as BBC cuts the Major's 'racist' lines from classic Fawlty Towers episode

It is the episode of Fawlty Towers best remembered for the line ‘Don’t mention the war’ and John Cleese’s silly walk when impersonating Hitler.
    The references have proved controversial before, but when The Germans was repeated on BBC2 on Sunday evening it wasn’t our European neighbours that the corporation was worried about offending.

Instead, the episode was edited to omit racist language – only for some viewers to then complain that the BBC was ‘airbrushing history’.

In one scene one of the hotel’s permanent residents, Major Gowen, uses derogatory terms to describe black people. It was included in the episode’s first airing in October 1975, but this time around the major’s words were edited out.

The scene involves Basil Fawlty and the major, played by actor Ballard Berkeley, exchanging their normal pleasantries before the conversation moves on to Basil’s wife Sybil and women in general.

The major tells Fawlty about the time he took a woman to see India play cricket at the Oval. He then says: ‘The strange thing was, throughout the morning she kept referring to the Indians as ****. “No, no, no,” I said, “the **** are the West Indians. These people are wogs”.’

Several years ago there were concerns that the episode would never be shown again because of the offensive words. However, recent editions of The Complete Fawlty Towers DVD, distributed by BBC Worldwide, have not been edited and included the segment that was cut by the BBC on Sunday.
    Some fans took to the BBC’s Points Of View message board yesterday to say they ‘despaired’ at the ‘unnecessary’ editing.

One wrote: ‘You can’t airbrush history away and I doubt if anyone but the terminally thin-skinned could be offended by the major, a character we’re clearly supposed to laugh at rather than with.’

Ballard Berkeley as the Major Gowen, who makes the offensive remark. Viewers said that the 'bigoted character' was meant to be laughed at - not with
    Another posted: ‘The point is that the major is a racist old bigot, incongruous with modern society – even in the Seventies. The audience isn’t supposed to agree with him, they’re supposed to laugh at him. The whole episode is about xenophobia in various forms – it’s social satire. I instinctively dislike the airbrushing of history.’

A third viewer wrote: ‘So how sad BBC you have finally succumbed and lost the guts to transmit the episode of Fawlty Towers “The Germans” in its original form. The major’s speech of his experience of going out with a woman to the Oval is one of the funniest things ever.
    ‘You edited it because it includes the W-word and the N-word. Let’s face it, the whole episode and much of Fawlty Towers is racist by today’s standards and misogynistic, but above all it is hilarious.

‘We are all grown up, you know. We, the vast majority of us, can laugh at this without being racists.
    ‘It’s about time you grew up BBC, and trusted your audience. We know what is acceptable and what is not and what is funny and why, and the fact it is of a time which is now long past. We understand context, the major is a figure of fun, he doesn’t whip up hatred.’

Fawlty Towers was written by and starred Cleese and his then wife Connie Booth. The Germans was the sixth episode of the 12 that were made and was voted number 11 in Channel 4’s One Hundred Greatest TV Moments in 1999.

The series has continued to entertain families since being made in the 1970s and was in 2000 voted by industry professionals to be the best British series of all time.

A BBC spokesman said: ‘We are very proud of Fawlty Towers and its contribution to British television comedy.
    ‘But public attitudes have changed significantly since it was made and it was decided to make some minor changes, with the consent of John Cleese’s management, to allow the episode to transmit to a family audience at 7.30pm on BBC2.’

The people behind the censoring of the above is who I would be referring to when using the term 'PC brigade' as can't understand that mentality for a second.

This kind of recent nonsense shouldn't happen:

The people behind the censoring of the above is who I would be referring to when using the term 'PC brigade' as can't understand that mentality for a second.

Ah yes, the glory days when a white man could use the N-word and a wave of hilarity ensued.

I've got some words for you. Change. Context. Consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ah yes, the glory days when a white man could use the N-word and a wave of hilarity ensued.

I've got some words for you. Change. Context. Consideration.

Away from media attention it's business as usual for the most part.

Another word is eggshells.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Away from media attention it's business as usual for the most part.

Another word is eggshells.

Look, don't get me wrong. Fawlty Towers in it's day, was brilliant and hilariously crafted. But it's dated badly in some respects. Don't forget the lazy, incompetent Irish builder in it. Doesn't play so well today, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Don't forget the lazy, incompetent Irish builder in it. Doesn't play so well today, does it?

It doesn't?

Also, isn't the whole point of the joke with the Major about showing how completely out of date and offensive he is?

It doesn't?

Meaning the stereotype and not the current situation regarding what's happened in Ireland, of course ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

It doesn't?

No it really doesn't.

I actually watched that episode last week. Terribly dated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

PC brigade have succeeded in what no dictator or crackpot totalitarian regime has succeeded in doing; making people self censor and alter their thought process to suit what is the acceptable or desired official stance in the eyes of the said PC brigade. The amount of people I have hear say; "you couldn't say this in public but I think..." is growing yearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

The only people offended by that Faulty Tower episode were white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

PC brigade have succeeded in what no dictator or crackpot totalitarian regime has succeeded in doing; making people self censor and alter their thought process to suit what is the acceptable or desired official stance in the eyes of the said PC brigade. The amount of people I have hear say; "you couldn't say this in public but I think..." is growing yearly.

There's something known as civil disobedience. It usually applies to laws but it's just as applicable to beliefs and ethics. If you believe in something, really, truly believe in it but could get punished (or shunned in this example) for doing or saying it then you have to face the punishment and do what you believe. That's how bad situations are changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It doesn't?

Also, isn't the whole point of the joke with the Major about showing how completely out of date and offensive he is?

No, no - it was to portray old people as infrim, doddery and senile. :D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement