Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N. Korea threatens South Korea with 'final destruction'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

What are the second and third steps? If North Korea launched a preemptive them surely its game over for them doing anything else? The world would surely paralyze them from doing anything. Any idea what kind of missile defense shield South Korea has?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What are the second and third steps? If North Korea launched a preemptive them surely its game over for them doing anything else? The world would surely paralyze them from doing anything. Any idea what kind of missile defense shield South Korea has?
    Not specifically, but it's going to be robust. If DPRK actually tried to destroy S Korea without the support of China they'd accomplish nothing other than opening themselves up to invasion from all sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

And why would China support that at this time? You're right though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

China would never support such a move as it would destroy international trade in the region and beyond. China has it's own potential domestic instability which could be triggered by major economic disruption. If it thought NK was about to attack, China would be more likely to pre-emptively invade North Korea to prevent drawing in South Korea, Japan and most of all the United States into a war on it's border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The sooner the find oil and gas in North Korea and decide to liberate due to the massive amount of money to be had the social injustice it the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

This is not a sensationalist threat from N Korea. I really doubt they have ANY intention of destroying the bottom half of their peninsula. This is the north's opinion of what may happen their neighbours if they continue to endourse capitalism and "western" culture. They dream to "liberate" South Korea some day.
    You are creating a panic over nothing RTTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Wouldn't have to go nuclear to cause S.Korea a big problem. Seoul is within range of conventional artillery and the North could easily drop 1-3000 shells into Seoul an hour. They could be tipped with chemical, biological or high explosive warheads. Not even the most sophisticated missile defense system like Israel's Iron dome could stop that volume of shells and it would be impossible to air strike all of those battery's at once. I think the North relies hugely on the old tactic of giving it's populace an outside enemy to distract them. The Chinese though are the key to the whole thing. USA would obliterate North Korea if such an attack happened. The Japanese are even making noises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

This is the north's opinion of what may happen their neighbours if they continue to endourse capitalism and "western" culture. They dream to "liberate" South Korea some day.
    You are creating a panic over nothing RTTH.

If I had a dollar every time NK threatened the south with "total destruction" I could probably fund my own private train to bring me lobster every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Threatening "final destruction" of South Korea at a disarmament meeting, the Naughty Koreans either don't get or are really good at irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

China would have to deal with an influx of refugees if war broke out on the Korean peninsula. Can't see any reason why they would support any such action by their client state.

Also, farewell to Run_to_da_hills, seems as if the global elite finally got him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Jonny7 wrote: »
    If I had a dollar every time NK threatened the south with "total destruction" I could probably fund my own private train to bring me lobster every day.

Why not a trip to South Korea with the money?

Advertisement