Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI don't seem to want to retain customers!

Options
  • 19-02-2013 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

My private health cover (it is our only "luxury" - we don't drink or smoke) was up last week so I went online to compare policies/plans etc. We are lucky/struggling to afford it but is really important given health issues in the family.

We have been with VHI for 25 years. I found a similar plan with Laya for waayyyy less money; so I contacted VHI to say I am prepared to leave unless they can give me as good a deal. Two phone calls and no effort on their behalf I am leaving. They do not seem to want my premium - we reclaim less than we pay in - despite me saying clearly I do not want to leave them as they have been good to deal with. But, no. Absolutely no effort from them except to quote me cheaper plans with far less cover/benefits. I had to do this phone call with HIA comparison website in front of me!!! The staff could not care less.

Well done to Laya who made the effort to get my business. The lady in laya said they are inundated with new customers switching from VHI. It is no wonder when they seem to want to self destruct. There, rant over!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

I have to agree, VHI are rapidly losing customers and making no effort to hold on to the customers they have.
    Unless I get a better policy - through my own research and not theirs, becuase they make absolutely zero effort to help you get a lower priced policy, then after 32 years, i will no longer be a VHI member.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

not just VHI - I have been with Aviva for quite a few years and at renewal I asked them to match the quote from Laya - they couldn't.

A follow-up call from Aviva asked me why I was cancelling my policy with them - told them I couldn't afford their premia and no effort was made to retain my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

VHI are in a terrible position market-wise. They have a semi-state staff burden, plus their customers are generally older, which means they cost more. Hence, all their insurance premium increases.

Moral of the story: be prepared to shop around and don't feel any loyalty

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

VHI is semi-state hence probably heavily unionised and performance-related pay is anathema to trades unions, therefore the person you spoke to has no incentive whatsoever to hold on to your business. Can't understand the attitude from Aviva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Most businesses spend so much time and money to get new customers, yet so little to retain them. I might be wrong, but I think it is much easier and cheaper to keep customer than to look for a new one.

Not only with Aviva,
    on many occasions when I rang somewhere to sign up as new customer I was welcomed by very nice person - very happy to explain and answer all my questions, and than once they have you .. you get to rude, annoyed person when trying to sort even something simple.

I find it hard to understand, maybe they hope we won't bother, and we didn't while ago, but now, when almost everything can be done online, and it is so so so easy to switch (not only insurance) many people are starting to realize it can make a huge difference.

Where do I sign up to work as customer service manager in Aviva (with 6 digit pay cheque, please)? I'm unskilled worker and even I know basics better than most top managers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

VHI, Aviva, etc are simply not allowed to match prices.

The legislation requires that each particular plan is sold to every individual at the same premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The main reason why VHI premiums is high is not because of trade unions and high wages. But mainly they have the a majority of the old loss making customers who generally make a lot of claims. Where as Laya and Aviva have younger customers with less risk and therefore can give lower premiums.

You cant except a company with a ton of loss making customers trying to compete with everyone.

Plus I believe the reason why you cant compare policies is not government regulations but more so with the fact certain industries make it near impossible to compare products eg home phone, insurance. It may look like your getting a cheaper product but its likely inferior to slightly more expensive product

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

Minister wrote: »
    My private health cover (it is our only "luxury" - we don't drink or smoke) was up last week so I went online to compare policies/plans etc. We are lucky/struggling to afford it but is really important given health issues in the family.

We have been with VHI for 25 years. I found a similar plan with Laya for waayyyy less money; so I contacted VHI to say I am prepared to leave unless they can give me as good a deal. Two phone calls and no effort on their behalf I am leaving. They do not seem to want my premium - we reclaim less than we pay in - despite me saying clearly I do not want to leave them as they have been good to deal with. But, no. Absolutely no effort from them except to quote me cheaper plans with far less cover/benefits. I had to do this phone call with HIA comparison website in front of me!!! The staff could not care less.

Well done to Laya who made the effort to get my business. The lady in laya said they are inundated with new customers switching from VHI. It is no wonder when they seem to want to self destruct. There, rant over!!

Just wondering what policy you are going with with Laya. My VHI is up soon and there is just so many policies to go through.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

mel123 wrote: »
    I have to agree, VHI are rapidly losing customers and making no effort to hold on to the customers they have.
    Unless I get a better policy - through my own research and not theirs, becuase they make absolutely zero effort to help you get a lower priced policy, then after 32 years, i will no longer be a VHI member.
    Minister wrote: »
    We have been with VHI for 25 years. I found a similar plan with Laya for waayyyy less money; so I contacted VHI to say I am prepared to leave unless they can give me as good a deal. Two phone calls and no effort on their behalf I am leaving. They do not seem to want my premium - we reclaim less than we pay in - despite me saying clearly I do not want to leave them as they have been good to deal with. But, no. Absolutely no effort from them except to quote me cheaper plans with far less cover/benefits. I had to do this phone call with HIA comparison website in front of me!!! The staff could not care less!

Here is the thing, if you are that length with them, then it is a fair bet that you are about to become expensive for them in the coming years, so why should they encourage you to stay on, a couple of more years premium will not cover the future costs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

ccazza wrote: »
    Just wondering what policy you are going with with Laya. My VHI is up soon and there is just so many policies to go through.

PM sent

• Advertisement
Advertisement