Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boots photo printing issue after editing in Photoshop

• 19-02-2013 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

I've cropped and touched up some pics in Photoshop and went to get them printed in Boots.

The ones they printed out were the original photos and not the ones I edited.

They can't explain how this has happened, yet the preview at the photo kiosk I selected to print were clearly the edited ones.

They didn't have a clue, and said "we don't usually deal with Photoshop files"?????

Anybody ever had this issue?

(Never had any issue before printing, only this week).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Did you bring PSDs!? Use JPEG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Perfectly good jpeg files.

Preview came up as the ones I'd edited.

Selected, chose 24 hours, came back, original ones printed.

Can't figure out how........

Weird...

I have seen one isolated case of an edited jpeg with the original unedited version embedded as a preview/thumbnail.

The staff member came back to me saying "we don't accept Photoshop files or files edited in Photoshop" (and while being helpful, we got nowhere bar a refund).

I've printed hundreds of edited jpegs before in Boots, so I don't understand why there's now an issue with them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 the_pictorium

Is it possible you saved the jpegs with your own embedded colour profile? This may have prevented the Kiosk from selecting these jpegs and it may have defaulted to the older (unedited) files? All sounds a bit odd one way or the other as I would of thought if there was a problem it would just not print.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

They don't accept files edited in Photoshop?! That's just really odd.

How did they know? A jpeg is a jpeg...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Very strange indeed in relation to the images, did you try one on another printing service such as Harvey Norman where the print while you wait?

Worth trying that to see if you have the same outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The exif data will give it away for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Nah, every service industry has an equivalent course of action. The technical term is "Blowing smoke up the customers ass".

It's used when the shoppie is convinced the error lies on the part of the customer, but they can't prove it, and proving it would achieve nothing.

Most likely the shoppie had never even heard of photoshop, but had to give some reason why they weren't going to waste any more time on the issue in order to get the customer to move on.

• Advertisement

Is it possible you saved the jpegs with your own embedded colour profile? This may have prevented the Kiosk from selecting these jpegs and it may have defaulted to the older (unedited) files? All sounds a bit odd one way or the other as I would of thought if there was a problem it would just not print.

No, just touched up, cropped and re-saved over them.

That's what she said........
    How did they know? A jpeg is a jpeg...

When she tried to feed me the "we don't accept photoshop files" one I told her they'd just been looked at in PS and that they were jpegs.

"I'm sorry I don't know was the next answer"
    Balfey1972 wrote: »
    Very strange indeed in relation to the images, did you try one on another printing service such as Harvey Norman where the print while you wait?

Worth trying that to see if you have the same outcome.

I'd only gotten to Boots, when the previews looked fine I trusted them. I can try another Fuji spot tomorrow.
    markfinn wrote: »
    Nah, every service industry has an equivalent course of action. The technical term is "Blowing smoke up the customers ass".

It's used when the shoppie is convinced the error lies on the part of the customer, but they can't prove it, and proving it would achieve nothing.

Most likely the shoppie had never even heard of photoshop, but had to give some reason why they weren't going to waste any more time on the issue in order to get the customer to move on.

She also tried to say that "you can edit them in xx program (forget name of it) and we can take them, but just not in Photoshop"

She also rang me back asking me to bring them back and the "engineers upstairs will have a look at them".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Did you double check the files are correct at home?

You could try deleting everything but the pictures you want off the drive and then try. You'll probably see an error instead of a different picture.

Col200sx wrote: »
    That's what she said........

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭McVitae

excuse me if this sounds stupid but did you open the exported jpegs on your computer after you edited them. Opening them in a bog standard viewer such as the Microsoft default should verify which jpeg you are actually dealing with. IMO if you do this and make sure that there is nothing else on the CD/USB that you bring in there is no way to get it wrong.

When the shop say they don't support jpegs edited photoshop, they are admitting they don't know what they are talking about. A jpeg exported from photoshop should conform to the jpeg standard.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

McVitae wrote: »
    excuse me if this sounds stupid but did you open the exported jpegs on your computer after you edited them. Opening them in a bog standard viewer such as the Microsoft default should verify which jpeg you are actually dealing with. IMO if you do this and make sure that there is nothing else on the CD/USB that you bring in there is no way to get it wrong.

When the shop say they don't support jpegs edited photoshop, they are admitting they don't know what they are talking about. A jpeg exported from photoshop should conform to the jpeg standard.

only possible issue might be colour space but i doubt boots look at that printing, and it wouldnt stop the files printing, maybe they flag it if its a colour space thats different to the one they use to prevent customers moaning about inconstant colour reproduction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Id say its a very simple case of the staff member not having a notion what they're talking about. It probably needs no further explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Col200sx wrote: »
    I've cropped and touched up some pics in Photoshop and went to get them printed in Boots.

The ones they printed out were the original photos and not the ones I edited.

Boots use standard fuji frontier printers

There is no possible way they could print your unedited photos unless you supplied Boots with them. They must have been on the usb stick/memory card that you brought in, no other way they could have printed them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Any chance you were using DPOF within the images and the printer mis-read the instructions?

Advertisement