Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naps

Options
  • 19-02-2013 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

So my 9 months old used to do 2 naps, one around 9:30 and one around 1/2 pm. Lately we haven't been able to put her down at all and at her check up the nurse said she should be only napping once around 11 am.
    Today we tried and it worked very well, no need to battle, she went down at 11 no problem for over an hour and a half.
    But then I'm not sure about how I should change her routine. It's now almost 4 and she seems a bit tired, should she be having a small snack and a small snooze at this time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Ny daughter is just gone ten months. She gets up at 8. Nap at half eleven or twelve till around half one or two.
    Sometimes that's all. Sometimes like now, she will have a power nap around half four. I never let her have more than 40 mins. She's always in bed by 8.

Bear in mind this is on a good day. Some days she never naps. Some days she only naps in the afternoon.

Hope this helps x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

At 9 months my son was still having 2 1hour naps during the day (morning & afternoon) & sleeping 12hrs at night (7pm-7am).
    He's now 10.5 months & is starting to drop a nap but sleep on longer in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My 9.5 month old wakes at about 8 - 8.30, naps about 11 for an hr to hr and half then naps again around 3 for an hour. Some days morning nap will be longer and afternoon nap shorter. She then goes to bed at 7.30. I find if she is awake for over 3 to 4 hours she is tired so i think ill keep it at 2 for now. On saturday mornings we go to gymboree so its near 12 when she goes for a nap and normally sleeps 2 hours (gymboree really takes it out of her) but she still normally takes even 15 mins to half hour in the afternoon. She's just not able to function after 3-4 hours of being awake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Suucee wrote: »
    My 9.5 month old wakes at about 8 - 8.30, naps about 11 for an hr to hr and half then naps again around 3 for an hour. Some days morning nap will be longer and afternoon nap shorter. She then goes to bed at 7.30. I find if she is awake for over 3 to 4 hours she is tired so i think ill keep it at 2 for now. On saturday mornings we go to gymboree so its near 12 when she goes for a nap and normally sleeps 2 hours (gymboree really takes it out of her) but she still normally takes even 15 mins to half hour in the afternoon. She's just not able to function after 3-4 hours of being awake.
    I think this scenario is most like mine at the moment. Today she didn't want to go down in the afternoon so I didn't insist. We just spent basically 9 months rocking her to sleep for hours every single day. Not doing that again!

lounakin wrote: »
    I think this scenario is most like mine at the moment. Today she didn't want to go down in the afternoon so I didn't insist. We just spent basically 9 months rocking her to sleep for hours every single day. Not doing that again!

Yea sometimes A can be like this in the afternoon, especially if her morning nap ran later, shes tired and narky but not tired enough to sleep. I usually go for a walk (if she sleeps she sleeps if not at least she has had a rest) But if i cant get for a walk i would maybe just sit and have a lil cuddle with her maybe read her a story and give her her raggy so she normally has a rest that way too. I work 5 hrs a day mon - fri normally morning but sometimes afternoon. When im working mornings she naps fine in her nans or aunts in the morning and naps fine in afternoon after i collect her. But if its afternoon im working she naps fine in the morning with me but struggles to nap in afternoon because her cousins are home for school and she doesnt want to miss out.

• Advertisement

Yea sometimes A can be like this in the afternoon, especially if her morning nap ran later, shes tired and narky but not tired enough to sleep. I usually go for a walk (if she sleeps she sleeps if not at least she has had a rest) But if i cant get for a walk i would maybe just sit and have a lil cuddle with her maybe read her a story and give her her raggy so she normally has a rest that way too. I work 5 hrs a day mon - fri normally morning but sometimes afternoon. When im working mornings she naps fine in her nans or aunts in the morning and naps fine in afternoon after i collect her. But if its afternoon im working she naps fine in the morning with me but struggles to nap in afternoon because her cousins are home for school and she doesnt want to miss out.
    Do you seriously read books to your 9.5 months old? I've tried... she will fight me to the death to put it in her mouth! Books are to be eaten and that's that! lol

Ha yea she has 2 that she chews and trys to pull apart but there plasticky 1s that she cant bite anythin off. I always read her a story before bed so shes used to it. She does try to pull at it sometimes but shes normally enjoying the quiet cuddly time and just stares up at me and rubs my face and giggles. Hey who am i trying to kid i probably enjoy it way more than she does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ha yea she has 2 that she chews and trys to pull apart but there plasticky 1s that she cant bite anythin off. I always read her a story before bed so shes used to it. She does try to pull at it sometimes but shes normally enjoying the quiet cuddly time and just stares up at me and rubs my face and giggles. Hey who am i trying to kid i probably enjoy it way more than she does.

Good on ya Succee! We read to ours from the day she came home from the maternity hospital. Babies love books. From about 22 months I am nearly convinced she could recognise a couple of word shapes. She looked at a headline in a newspaper one day that had STUCK emblazoned across the top, pointed to it and said 'Stuck'.... Probably because we have this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0007263899/ref=asc_df_000726389912026568?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=0007263899&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=650678630396263311&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Same thing with road signs, she knows 'Stop' and 'dog' I think. You are giving them such a help in life by reading to them as often as possible. It is great bonding... you, your voice, snuggles.. It builds their concentration, improves their vocabulary and memory. It introduces and explains all sorts of abstract concepts like colours, shapes, tells them about the world around them, feeds their imagination. Children at age two who are read to have a much larger set of spoken words than those who don't.

What a huge set of benefits for something as cheap (or free in a lot of places) as library membership, and a bedtime routine which includes books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

My fella is nearly 7 months and he still has 3 naps, I thought they did two naps for a good while, at least until a year old. Can't believe I'm only 2-3 months away from him dropping to one nap. He gets tired after being up 2 1/5 hrs and has done since I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Mink wrote: »
    My fella is nearly 7 months and he still has 3 naps, I thought they did two naps for a good while, at least until a year old. Can't believe I'm only 2-3 months away from him dropping to one nap. He gets tired after being up 2 1/5 hrs and has done since I can remember.

My little girl is 14 months old and still needs
    2 naps. She still sleeps through the night as well so I wouldn't drop one unless she stops herself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

My baby is just over 9 months and she still needs two naps. She gets so cranky and upset otherwise and I don't see the point in keeping her awake to make a point. Now some days , say if we're out and about or visiting she might not get a second nap and be happy enough but if I feel she's tired she's getting one :)

She had two naps today in the end and the day so far has been a breeze :) Hopefully she'll stick to this new routine.
    As far as reading, I was read to all my childhood and it was my favourite time of the day. I read to my little sister when she came around and I cannot wait to read to my daughter however she doesn't cuddle or sit still and want to eat the book so I can't for now! Since she was born I've never been able to have her lay/sit on me to relax or cuddle.
    One of my childhood friends has a 2 year old and recently I said: 'you must really enjoy reading time with her' to which she replied: 'we don't read to her! We tried but she kept asking for one more story so we stopped altogether'. My heart broke :(

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

She had two naps today in the end and the day so far has been a breeze :) Hopefully she'll stick to this new routine.
    As far as reading, I was read to all my childhood and it was my favourite time of the day. I read to my little sister when she came around and I cannot wait to read to my daughter however she doesn't cuddle or sit still and want to eat the book so I can't for now! Since she was born I've never been able to have her lay/sit on me to relax or cuddle.
    One of my childhood friends has a 2 year old and recently I said: 'you must really enjoy reading time with her' to which she replied: 'we don't read to her! We tried but she kept asking for one more story so we stopped altogether'. My heart broke :(

That's terrible :( It's so sad that they stopped reading to her.
    We have been reading to our now 14 month old since she was tiny. She loves story time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

would love to be able to read to our 15 month (:eek:) old - but it's impossible, and always was. He just wouldn't sit/lie still at all, it just won;t work...he loves books though, and looks at them in his own time, just doesnt want to listen :D

We're still on at least one 2 hour nap a day, sometimes another short nap in the afternoon, plus bed from 6 pm to 6.30 am or thereabouts...kid loves to sleep a lot it seems...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

I try reading to my 7.5 month old every now and then but it results in her having a meltdown as she wants to eat the book, which I don't mind, but she finds it too bulky for comfy chewing so gets frustrated and throws it away and has an absolute strop!! I'm hoping she'll calm down at some point as I absolutely love reading and got a story every night going to bed until I was old enough to read myself to sleep.

Back on the subject of naps everything I've read says at least 2 until they're one. Tho of course the crèches I've been to see lately are saying my daughter will be on one big nap by the time she starts there at 11 months cos that's their schedule. I've warned them she may have different ideas!! Lately her naps have been a disaster, crying going down, waking after half an hr then hysterical if I try get her to go back to sleep or cranky as anything if I get her up... Hoping it's just a phase and not just her extra stubborn personality starting to shine thru...!

Julo12 wrote: »
    I try reading to my 7.5 month old every now and then but it results in her having a meltdown as she wants to eat the book, which I don't mind, but she finds it too bulky for comfy chewing so gets frustrated and throws it away and has an absolute strop!! I'm hoping she'll calm down at some point as I absolutely love reading and got a story every night going to bed until I was old enough to read myself to sleep.

Back on the subject of naps everything I've read says at least 2 until they're one. Tho of course the crèches I've been to see lately are saying my daughter will be on one big nap by the time she starts there at 11 months cos that's their schedule. I've warned them she may have different ideas!! Lately her naps have been a disaster, crying going down, waking after half an hr then hysterical if I try get her to go back to sleep or cranky as anything if I get her up... Hoping it's just a phase and not just her extra stubborn personality starting to shine thru...!
    The problem is everything is a phase! Most babies I see follow a routine for a few weeks then change completely. The days in between the changes are a bit chaotic. Actually after I posted my previous message I realised she didn't go to sleep during her second nap, I could hear her on the monitor playing. So I left her to play for 30 minutes and then she started calling me. She was really knackered this evening and whining and moaning. Gotto find a way to make her take that second nap!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think we had a completely different idea of what reading is to a baby. I have no expectation of them sitting still and listening at that young age. Of course they want to play with the book. That's what all thse lift the flap and books that make noise a for. The buggy buddy books are great for chewing and they can turn the board pages themselves. You point at the pictures and ask them where the dog is, or where the cow is. They need to be nearly two by the time they can sit still and actually listen to a story.

On naps, my two year old still takes two naps a day. 45 mins at about 11 am, and a 20 minute nap at about 3. The afternoon one she doesn't always take thse days, so I guess it's phasing out.

Advertisement