Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin with 4 y.o. kid

Options
  • 19-02-2013 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi everyone!

My name is Jose I'm spanish and I'll be moving to Dubling in a few weeks. Firstly I'll move alone but later my wife and son will come.

I've been reading, searching, researching and my brain is about to explode. My main concerns are:
    1. Where to live
    2. Will I be able to enroll my kid in the school?

I've been looking and looking, I think that I'd like to live in the south but really not sure I'v read good stuff about districts 4, 6/6w and 8 in the south and 3 and 9 in the north as well.

Budget?? I knew you'd ask, well, as cheaper as possible of course, hahaha, no, really, I've thought about 1200-1500€.

As I've said the kid is 4 year-old (well, he'll be on 27th of february) and he has already started school (infant) here in Spain so I want to enroll him for next year but, if I'm not wrong, most of schools have their enrolling period by the end of the year...

Please, give me some advice mainly for the school thing (it's my nightmare), I've used the searching tool but the posts I saw were pretty old :(

Thanks and hugs!
    Jose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Manuva

Where will you be working/Going on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jmaralv

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

I still don't know but that's not a problem, I currently work 80km away from my home so... I could deal with any commute.

Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

You'll find cheaper accommodation, and pretty good accommodation, for your budget in D3/9 (also, look at D5)- really, they are perfect locations, especially D3, you have good bus service to the city centre, or if you get it right, the DART (commuter train).

You also have some pretty good amenities close to D3, seaside towns like Howth, Malahide and Portmarnock would be no more than a 15/20 minute drive away - and they are really nice places to visit.

Some places to consider include Clontarf, Raheny, Artane, Beaumount, Killester.

If you choose a place, we can name the schools to contact about getting the child registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Just to mention, when you've kind of decided on an area, tell us what type of school you're looking for .ie. Catholic, Protestant, Multi Denomonational.

MarkMc wrote: »
    Just to mention, when you've kind of decided on an area, tell us what type of school you're looking for .ie. Catholic, Protestant, Multi Denomonational.

Hi MarkMc,

We don't care so much about religion though we've both been raised in the Catholicism so that would be the ethos to look for.

Clontarf and Raheny seem to be good places to start with.

You guys are being pretty helpful, thanks :)

Jose.

• Advertisement

For Catholic schools, you can nearly Guarantee that the child would need to be baptised, thats why I ask.

Clontarf and Raheny are lovely. I'mborn and raised in Clontarf (I still live there), its very handy for city centre.

School wise (If you go for Clontarf/Killester/Raheny), I'd recommend North Bay in Kilbarrack, its mixed gender and religion. I went to school there and loved every moment of it, great ethos.

If you want to go Catholic/Boys only, then Belgrove is probably the best option.

www.daft.ie or www.myhome.ie are good sites to find somewhere to live

North Bay - www.northbay.ie

Belgrove - www.belgrovejbs.ie

MarkMc do you think they'll request us some kind of baptism certificate? I'm afraid that (due to some personal issues) the kid is not baptized but we're married in a religious ceremony...

Would that be enough? If not... What are the other choices?

To be honest, I don't know about the baptismal cert.

I'd recommend North Bay ahead of Belgrove myself anyway (I went to both, but thats 90's/00's), but its quite a personal choice

Catholic schools do request the Baptismal Cert

Catholic schools do request the Baptismal Cert

Oh Gosh! So... if not a Catholic school, what else? I mean, I'm really lost in this topic...

What are the other choices? I think the only way-out is the Multi-Denominational school (North Bay is one of them) but I'm afraid that they'll have a huge waiting list for enrollment due to there are only a few, Am I right?

Thanks again guys!

• Advertisement

Check out "Educate Together" - I can't link as I'm in work at the moment.

Actually, just thinking, I could be wrong, because I'm aware of Muslim children in Catholic schools.

Hmm, best thing to do is approach the schools yourself I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im from raheny, you couldnt go wrong with the area op

Check out "Educate Together" - I can't link as I'm in work at the moment.

Actually, just thinking, I could be wrong, because I'm aware of Muslim children in Catholic schools.

Hmm, best thing to do is approach the schools yourself I think.

Yeah I'm not sure about this one, I know of at least 2 sikh kids in Belgrove

I've been talking to my wife and we'll baptize the kid if the baptismal cert is required, that's not a problem.

My main concern is about the enrollment period, Is our situation considered "special"? Do you know about any other case of enrolling kids after the period is over?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

+1 on Clontarf, born, raised and currently living there, Belgrove is a great school, my son goes there. As all my kids were born in Spain (my wife is Spanish), we had to get the "International version" of the birth cert (basically it has Spanish on one side and an explanation of all the fields in most EU languages at the back. As for the Baptismal cert, I'm not 100% sure it's required, but a photocopy of the Spanish one did the trick for us (it's fairly easy to pick out the important points).

The deadline was Jan 31, though, I would suggest you contact the school (http://www.belgrovejbs.ie/) and see if your circumstances might afford some flexibility. The only thing is that there can be a waiting list as it is a fairly popular.

In terms of commuting, it's well served by bus, the DART (an overground metro (only 1 line though!)) and you can even run/walk/cycle in if your workplace has showers :)

Feel free to PM me if you want more info

Advertisement