Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcoming Ubuntu For Tablets

Options
  • 19-02-2013 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Ubuntu Today have announced the latests creation in their bid to take over the computer world. It started with a count down clock 24 ago at 23 minutes ago posted the video below to ubuntu.com

what do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Looks really nice.

Every time I see him I keep thinking "bastard went into space".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Khannie wrote: »
    "bastard went into space".

Bastard is in bed with scAmazon. :D

He is alright and I'd say doing very well out of it. When they get "juju" and "juju-jitsu" working properly it will be a very strong offering for cloud loving punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I applaud efforts to keep the new marketspace competitive. Android is dandy and all, but it's great to have choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Looks really nice.

Every time I see him I keep thinking "bastard went into space".
    He also went to Antarctica

Oh money

• Advertisement

Torqay wrote: »

Bastard is in bed with scAmazon. :D
    Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Needs more polo-neck :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Is it possible to install this onto any tablet or just the nexus tablets at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Is Android not Linuxy enough for ye?

It's actually not Linuxy at all. They both use the same kernel but that's where it ends.

• Advertisement

It's actually not Linuxy at all. They both use the same kernel but that's where it ends.

Having the Linux kernel at its core doesn't make it Linuxy?! The Terminal Emulator on my phone says different!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

It's very linuxy :confused:

How come Shuttleworth reminds me of Douglas from The IT Crowd, I keep expecting something like 'God-damn these electric sex pants!' to come from him.

Yeah, can't wait for the phone to come out, I'll be certainly getting it.

no

As i also recall, android tried to go on its own away from the linux kernal and developed an android kernal ( or at least tried to) They failed.

Is this guy in the video trying to be Aussie Steve Jobs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You're about 5000 miles out there chum.

im also out of touch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Overheal wrote: »
    Is this guy in the video trying to be Aussie Steve Jobs?

No, Jobs was an a$$hole who took credit for other peoples work and ideas
    Overheal wrote: »
    im also out of touch

Definitely, especially when you never heard of Mark Shutttleworth.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Shuttleworth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

To be fair, Shuttleworth does look like he's trying to set up a reality distortion field - and failing dismally at it. The video reminded me a bit of the conversations your character would hold with NPC's in Oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

Don't you mean it's not Gnu'y at all :-)

(I'll get my coat...)

• Advertisement

Having the Linux kernel at its core doesn't make it Linuxy?! The Terminal Emulator on my phone says different!

Terminal on your phone is awful tbh. It is actually significantly better on the iPhone IMO because there are more userspace apps on the phone. With android you get the absolute bare minimum with it. It's not "linux, with a bit of android on top", it's "a bare linux kernel with android on top that juuust about has had some userspace apps compiled for it".

I want a linux phone and thank the Gods I'm getting one. :)

Terminal on your phone is awful tbh. It is actually significantly better on the iPhone IMO because there are more userspace apps on the phone. With android you get the absolute bare minimum with it. It's not "linux, with a bit of android on top", it's "a bare linux kernel with android on top that juuust about has had some userspace apps compiled for it".

I want a linux phone and thank the Gods I'm getting one. :)

I know what you mean but personally I would find it too fiddly to a use a terminal on a phone for any amount of time. I'm not sure what problems a purer Linux phone would solve for me so I'm happy to stick with the hacked ROMs for the meantime. Of course if it offered a serious performance boost I would certainly be interested :cool:

Terminal on your phone is awful tbh. ...
    It's a bit cramped alright, but sometimes it's the difference between having to drive a round trip of 200 miles, or squint a bit, so I like having the option.

I use vx Connectbot on android, which has reasonable support for external bluetooth keyboards. I keep a small one in the glove boot of the car, and it's a lot more space when you have fullscreen landscape.
    I've been using terminal on pocket devices since infrared link between original palm pilots and GSM dialup, so this is a lot closer to luxury.

Connectbot gives a good local connection to the phone itself, but ssh'ing to a shell where I have all my tools and keys set up as I like is nearly always my first command.

If you want to get a more complete userspace together, look up botbrew...

niallb wrote: »
    It's a bit cramped alright, but sometimes it's the difference between having to drive a round trip of 200 miles, or squint a bit, so I like having the option.

I use vx Connectbot on android, which has reasonable support for external bluetooth keyboards. I keep a small one in the glove boot of the car, and it's a lot more space when you have fullscreen landscape.

Yeah, if I badly needed a terminal and the alternative was a 200 mile round trip, I'd put up with the squinting too. :D Bluetooth keyboard + landscape fullscreen sounds pretty decent too. I suppose I wanted a linux box in my pocket and that's why I'm excited about ubuntu entering the market, but if all you really want is remote access to one then the underlying device doesn't matter all that much.

For me what I found was that the terminal on the (jailbroken) iPhone was a heap more usable than the ones you can get on android. Those jailbreakers and their .deb repositories for installing userspace tools do make life a lot easier. I suppose with the iPhone (which I am generally glad to be rid of) felt like a "unix in my pocket" which the android does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

what specs does the tablet need to have to run this new tablet version of ubuntu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

what specs does the tablet need to have to run this new tablet version of ubuntu?

Demo shows a Samsung/Google Nexus 10.

...Those jailbreakers and their .deb repositories for installing userspace tools do make life a lot easier. I suppose with the iPhone (which I am generally glad to be rid of) felt like a "unix in my pocket" which the android does not.

Take a look at botbrew that I mentioned earlier.
    The older version uses 'opkg' which is the simplified dpkg package manager used by openwrt and others. The new release currently being worked on (botbrew basil) will bring a full set of apt and dpkg tools to your (rooted) android.

niallb wrote: »
    Take a look at botbrew that I mentioned earlier.

Missed that. Looks like just the ticket. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

NoDrama wrote: »
    How come Shuttleworth reminds me of Douglas from The IT Crowd, I keep expecting something like 'God-damn these electric sex pants!' to come from him.

Ha! Same. :D

• Advertisement

"

Have you got experience in porting mobile OSs to new devices? Join the Port-a-thon and be part of the initiative to take Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview to a whole new level!

" - ubuntu app developers fb

Advertisement