Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLR Bay 10k : Monday Aug 5th (Dún Laoghaire)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

My first 10k & really enjoyed it

Big thanks to the kids between kms 8 & 9 for the high-fives

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Again well done to the organizers, that's how a race should be done.

Personally I had a bit of a nightmare of a race. I was o for the first 3 or 4, but then really struggled, no energy and found it very difficult to keep going towards the end. Finished 6 mins slower than my most recent 10km race.

I don't know what's wrong with me at the moment can't seem to get going at all.

I'm registered for the race series 10 mile and half marathon but seriously thinking of not bothering with either at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It doesn't have the tradition of Dunshaughlin, or the numbers of the 'Great' Ireland Run, but dare I say it, a candidate for the best organized 10k in Ireland?

The breeze made it tough in spots, but I found the hills much easier than the last time I ran this course (two years ago), which is probably down to running a long race in the mountains last week (which would make any hills seem easy). A good 30 seconds shy of my PB, but felt I ran really well and enjoyed the race immensely. Hats off to the organizers, volunteers and supporters. An enjoyable dip in the sea with the Stews followed by an ice-cream, rounded off a lovely afternoon in Dún Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Booger7

Easily the best organised 10k I have run. Really enjoyed the day and a PB by 34s! Congratulations to all involved, will be back next year and will stay for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

It doesn't have the tradition of Dunshaughlin, or the numbers of the 'Great' Ireland Run, but dare I say it, a candidate for the best organized 10k in Ireland?

The breeze made it tough in spots, but I found the hills much easier than the last time I ran this course (two years ago), which is probably down to running a long race in the mountains last week (which would make any hills seem easy). A good 30 seconds shy of my PB, but felt I ran really well and enjoyed the race immensely. Hats off to the organizers, volunteers and supporters. An enjoyable dip in the sea with the Stews followed by an ice-cream, rounded off a lovely afternoon in Dún Laoghaire.

+ 1:)
    Superb organisation and wonderful local support made for a really enjoyable race despite my lack of fitness. Next year's plan is to run an Alpine marathon the week before this and secure a top 5 finish;) (well done Krusty) Congrats to all who ran.

Adrian 522; sorry your race didn't go to plan, my advice would be to take a couple of days rest and have a look at your training, you might be overdoing it a little and a few simple changes will hopefully have you back raring to go for the 10 Miler, good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

adrian522 wrote: »
    Again well done to the organizers, that's how a race should be done.

Personally I had a bit of a nightmare of a race. I was o for the first 3 or 4, but then really struggled, no energy and found it very difficult to keep going towards the end. Finished 6 mins slower than my most recent 10km race.

I don't know what's wrong with me at the moment can't seem to get going at all.

I'm registered for the race series 10 mile and half marathon but seriously thinking of not bothering with either at the moment.

I wouldn't doubt that this is a challenging course adrian522. If you're not prepared for it this course can leave you panting and demoralised before you hit 4k! I had an experience like that last year, went out obsessed with hitting a certain pace, rather than effort, and had blown up before I got to Mountown church. The remainder of the race took a major miserable mental effort not to walk off the course! This year my focus was on getting to the 5k mark feeling fresh and able to stretch out down Albert Rd. Marthastew's advice sounds like it makes a lot of sense! Your result may be more a function of your execution rather than your fitness level.
    Booger7 wrote: »
    Easily the best organised 10k I have run. Really enjoyed the day and a PB by 34s! Congratulations to all involved, will be back next year and will stay for the weekend.

+1 to all the positive comments on organisation. Everything seemed really well covered right to the litter pickers at the finish areas, and everyone very friendly and encouraging. I really couldn't find anything that could be improved - now could you just sort out those b1tch1n hills Dom! :D

PS Ever thought of running it in the other direction? Just a thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sgall

It was my first DLR 10km and was very impressed. The helpful stewards, highly visible kilometre posters and support from the public couldn't be faulted. Only sour note was while running by sallynoggin roundabout I saw a car driver yelling dogs abuse at a poor garda!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Thanks for positive feedback everyone, hopefully this one is here to stay with improvements each year as the team keeps learning.

I won't be able to answer any questions on this page for a few weeks (I'll be off sunning myself and getting some warm(er) weather training, but not much :P, so if you have anything urgent please contact info@dlrbay10k.ie.

That headwind for the first few kilometres, the climbs and the headwind again on the final stretch were brutal! That's surely one of the harder 10ks out there I'd imagine.

Fantastic organisation today though, can't fault it at all. It was great to see so many supporters out there, they kept me going when I felt like I was dying a death! Kudos to everyone involved :)

I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone for a run over the last 2 years, I'm definitely not a runner so I was a bit surprised with how I went. 3 and a half minutes off my personal best (2 years ago, when I used to run a bit) and not too far off a sub 40. I'm baffled. I badly suffered for it though, I was barely able to breathe for the majority of the race! I definitely pushed myself too far but overall it was a lot of fun. If most races are as fun as that I reckon I might try one or two more of these before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RoverHogan

Excellent race, well done to all involved. A proper challenging course, and the wind made it harder today. I'll second the previous suggestion about running it in the opposite direction! It was my first proper race after a injury layoff, it was great to be back racing again. I lost a couple of places in the last 2k, so I know I've some endurance work to do. 12 weeks of marathon training should take care of that. There was a good community vive to this race, with plenty of locals dotted along the course giving support. The organisers, Stewards, and helpers involved did a super job, all with a smile on their faces. One to book into the calendar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

Great race as always. Very well organised and I enjoyed it. Improvement on my time from last year, found the last km tough as I fought by way up the hill into the wind.

I was back in Dun Laoghaire later in the afternoon and any sign of a race having taken place earlier long gone, great organisation to set up and dismantle, clean up etc.

Can't bring myself to buy the Star;), Bay 10K website doesn't have the results up yet, anyone found any online?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

Marthastew wrote: »
    Can't bring myself to buy the Star;), Bay 10K website doesn't have the results up yet, anyone found any online?

And I thought ideas the only one afraid to be seen buying it ;)

Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm the same. Couldn't bring myself to buy that tat. Nothing on the ChampionChip website, so I guess we'll have to wait (glad that I finally found something to complain about though!). You might be up for a W40 category win?

I'm the same. Couldn't bring myself to buy that tat. Nothing on the ChampionChip website, so I guess we'll have to wait (glad that I finally found something to complain about though!). You might be up for a W40 category win?

Fingers crossed, most of the females who finished ahead of me looked younger than me or more likely it's because I was so tired I just felt and looked older:o

Apparently the prizes are Patek Philippe watches;);), another to add to your collection:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Time in The Star is the same as the one texted which seems to be a gun to finish line time.

Wonder will the ones put up on the website be official start line to finish line times

Results have been posted here. Though, despite plenty of photographic evidence, they don't seem to include Marthastew, who should be among the category winners. I call foul.

Results have been posted here. Though, despite plenty of photographic evidence, they don't seem to include Marthastew, who should be among the category winners. I call foul.

:(:(
    Neither is Mr Stew listed, I suspect he tampered with our chips ahead of the race since he knew we wouldn't be running PBs;)
    But I want my Patek Philippe watch gosh darn it:mad:
    (I've emailed DLR so I'm sure they'll sort it out)

Congrats on the 1st place category win Krusty:)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

So that's 2 things now to complain about! :rolleyes: Like the course, this is going downhill rapidly :D(I jest of course)

Was there a team competition? Looks like a reasonably strong team result from Sli Cualann with 3 in the top 10!

wrstan wrote: »
    So that's 2 things now to complain about! :rolleyes: Like the course, this is going downhill rapidly :D(I jest of course)

Was there a team competition? Looks like a reasonably strong team result from Sli Cualann with 3 in the top 10!
    Nope, no team event mentioned, which is a bit of a shame, given the 1,000+ entries. The trouble is that if the Rock and Roll continues to occupy the same August Bank Holiday slot as the DLR, and the AAI continue to use it as a platform for the national half marathon, then we won't get many club runners (team runners) in the DLR 10k (which is a shame). The DLR 10k is a great race, but with a publicised prize pool, team prizes, etc., they could be the next Dunshaughlin or Ballycotton. On the cusp of greatness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

From the poolside :cool:

Marthastew I've seen an email flying about regarding your result so that appears to be in hand, any issues give me a shout.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    From the poolside :cool:

Marthastew I've seen an email flying about regarding your result so that appears to be in hand, any issues give me a shout.

From the kitchen table:(

Thanks BeepBeep:D, now go and enjoy your holiday:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭longford76

I really enjoyed this yesterday. It was really enjoyable and the organisation was top class.

A real community feel with nice touches, plenty of drinks before the start and good atmosphere around the finish area afterwards.

Will definitely be doing it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Really enjoyed the race yesterday, course is a good challenge.

Two things

1) Why are results and placings sorted on gun time and not chip time?

There are people way slower than me given a higher placing.

2) Did anybody else hear the announcement at the start of the invite to BBQ at The Royal Marine hotel and then it never happened? Very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

murpho999 wrote: »

Two things

19399436.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

murpho999 wrote: »

Two things

Because its a race.

It is the rules of international athletics that the only thing that really counts in a race is the order you cross the line. Its the only thing that makes sense.

Races have been run for a ling time before there were chips.

Actual ranking in the races does not matter for those of us in the middle of the pack. Chip timing is a nice feature to give you your personal time, but its nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

A belated well done to Marthastew, Mr.Stew and Krusty!
    Must admit I always seem to be doing something else instead of this race but maybe one to look at for next year.

I see Freddie Kearon Sittuk won it easily...he won my local 10km in Balla, Co. Mayo on July 27th as well. Savage runner and a really nice guy too.

belcarra wrote: »
    A belated well done to Marthastew, Mr.Stew and Krusty!
    Must admit I always seem to be doing something else instead of this race but maybe one to look at for next year.

I see Freddie Kearon Sittuk won it easily...he won my local 10km in Balla, Co. Mayo on July 27th as well. Savage runner and a really nice guy too.

Definitely one for next year, a great race and if you follow it up with a dip at the 40 Foot and a 99 ice-cream it's practically a summer holiday:)

The results have been updated and it was close but no cigar (or rather, no watch):( 3rd F40 for me.
    The organisers were very good at replying promptly to emails and they had had a lot of chips not registering so I'm sure it was very frustrating for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

huskerdu wrote: »
    Because its a race.

It is the rules of international athletics that the only thing that really counts in a race is the order you cross the line. Its the only thing that makes sense.

Races have been run for a ling time before there were chips.

Actual ranking in the races does not matter for those of us in the middle of the pack. Chip timing is a nice feature to give you your personal time, but its nothing more.

Can we have this post stickied? And maybe tack on something about course measurement vs. Garmin (in)accuracy at the end. That way when either issue comes up again one can simply point to the sticky. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Under IAAF rule 165 the race starts when the gun goes and not when you cross the start line so the chip start time is not official. I usually hold off publishing it for a while so there is no confusion amongst those who know the difference and prize winners can be sorted.

Also we had a minor outage at about 44 mins where we missed some chips at the finish line but did have them at the spotter mat. I think the issue was a loose cable which I did not notice at the time but popped back in and all was fine. Perhaps an official or passer by someone caught their foot on it in passing.

The spotter mat was not affected and we used the spotter data plus the halfway splits to insert those affected. It was less than 50 chips so most of you did not notice it.

My thanks to the team at DLR for their understanding and patience while I addressed the issue, its all sorted now.

Advertisement