Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hitting a block.

• 19-02-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭

I'm fairly new to tracing my family tree. My mothers family had been fairly easy so far as they had lots of stories about grannies and uncles etc.
    But im starting to hit a block. I was looking up baptisms and weddings for names I have on churchrecords.irishgeonology which so far has been able to help my search.
    Im finding that the records are starting to come up N/R ( can't be read ?) in the majority of entries. Is this as far as I can go down this path?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Church Records site has only limited records from certain areas.

Have you used the 1901/1911 censuses and the free births/marriage/death indexes on Familysearch? After that its a case of paying for access to other services or physically going places on the ground.

N/R is Not Recorded as far as I know, e.g. the record they've digitised has less info than they have fields for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

agree with MYOB - N/R = not recorded

In general for parish records, the earlier they are, the less detailed they are..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Hey thanks for your replies. I've tried familysearch but in these cases I'm afraid its no help.
    Im planning to head into the GRO soon to check up for records on my dads side. Maybe I should contact the pro-cathedral.?

Now the records im looking for are back around 1850ish and on the previous wedding record the family name is down for both parents ( not mothers maiden name) which is also going to make things harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

If you'd like to see if anyone can help post names and dates..

The Gro is very good, but you'd have to have some idea of the years of births, they are done alphabetically by each year, they only start from 1864

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Maybe I should contact the pro-cathedral.?

as far as I know most, if not all, of the historic records for St. Mary's are included on the IrishGenealogy website, so not sure they would be able to add anything

The RC parish of St. Mary's goes back further than the church on Marlborough St. If I remember correctly the parish church was on Liffey Street for a time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I was thinking maybe if you could physically see the record you may gain some glimmer.

Basically dido2 the list goes...

Mary Ellen Caffrey married William Curtis in 1900
    Her parents were :
    Patrick Caffrey and Catherine Maguire married on 27 nov 1875

Patrick Caffrey's parents are down as:
    Patrcii and Mariae Caffrey. There is a record for a Patrick Caffery and Mary Savage married in 1850 - st. Andrews parish

Catherine Maguires parents are down as:
    Patricii and Elanae Maguire. There is a record of a marriage for Patrick Maguire and Ellen Toole in 1851 - st. Nicholas parish.

Obviously I think I'm kind of clutching at straws as there is nothing to confirm these are the correct records

Advertisement