Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burtonport or Dunfanaghy

Options
  • 19-02-2013 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭

Hi looking at going to Donegal for a week this summer was wondering which people would recommend more-- Burtonport or Dunfanaghy .

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Dunfanaghy, nothing against Burtonport. Dunfanaghy has more activity about it in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

not much left in burtonport apart from the lobster pot and the arranmore ferry, afaik...

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'd agree with the previous posters in that Dunfanaghy would probably be the best option. It would certainly be a bit busier that Burtonport and the nightlife would probably be a wee bit livelier. Good selection of beaches also if weather permits.

There's a good thread here which is worth a look as it contains a couple of good links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

muffler wrote: »
    I'd agree with the previous posters in that Dunfanaghy would probably be the best option. It would certainly be a bit busier that Burtonport and the nightlife would probably be a wee bit livelier. Good selection of beaches also if weather permits.

There's a good thread here which is worth a look as it contains a couple of good links

Thanks for the replies and links , Burtonport is out so , Ramelton and Dunfanaghy seem to the very nice , I have done inishowen before so want to stay more west . Is there anywhere that I am missing or would Ramelton and Dunfanaghy be the nicest towns to base yourself for a week in west Donegal.

Thanks for the replies. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

dunfanaghy is more northerly than westerly donegal, imo.

gweedore, glenties or ardara would be nice, large-ish towns with plenty going on in them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

duckysauce wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies and links , Burtonport is out so , Ramelton and Dunfanaghy seem to the very nice , I have done inishowen before so want to stay more west . Is there anywhere that I am missing or would Ramelton and Dunfanaghy be the nicest towns to base yourself for a week in west Donegal.

Thanks for the replies. :cool:

If you like the outdoors dont miss Glenveagh national park the real jewel in Donegal and can be taken in whilst driving from Ramelton to Dunfanaghy( a little detour but worth it). Walk up to the castle from the visitors carpark, it really is a beautiful stroll. The north of Fanad in beautiful with many fantastic deserted beaches and last but not least by any means is Ards forest park, again on the road from Ramelton to Dunfanaghy, you could go there every day for a week and do a different walk from beaches to forest walks. West Donegal is beautiful too and a week is not enough to see everything.

Advertisement