Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

suspect my texts are being received both ways from a particular person

• 19-02-2013 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Theres a person I text quite a bit and I'm beginning to suspect that either they aren't receiving my texts or I'm not receiving theres or both, I could also being just being ignored but this person asked me did I receive a text they sent me which I replied to but they didnt get the reply, is there something I can do to my iphone 4s to rule this out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

sorry the title should read not being received

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

you could try ringing them and ask

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Are you both in Ireland?
    Could your phone be sending an Imesseges but the other party have no Internet connection to receive it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

hmm, my wife and her friend were/are experiencing the same problem with their phones, but only between them, not with other phones.

to be honest, i had put it down to the users rather than the phones, but will check with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭BubbleBalls

ablelocks wrote: »
    hmm, my wife and her friend were/are experiencing the same problem with their phones, but only between them, not with other phones.

to be honest, i had put it down to the users rather than the phones, but will check with them again.
    Go to settings, messages and check that "send as SMS" is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

sorry the title should read not being received

Are both phones iPhones and have iMessage activated?

naasrd wrote: »

Are both phones iPhones and have iMessage activated?

I sent the person another text last night but got no response , I was on the evening shift in work so before I left I sent them an email asking them did they receive my text , I just got a text this morning from this morning in response to the email and they said they didn't receive my text at all , this is the second occurrence that makes think there's an issue , on Sunday this person texted me with a query , I replied but heard nothing back , on Monday when I came in this person asked me if I got their text , I said i did and I replied but it seems they didn't get the reply

I think it could be their phone , because I don't have this issue with anyone else , iMessage is off , mms is on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think it could be their phone , because I don't have this issue with anyone else , iMessage is off , mms is on
    Turn MMS off, turn iMessage on.

I find MMS ridiculously unreliable. Sometimes people don't receive your MMS for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Maybe the two phones are on the same apple id and receiving the two messages on another device also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

One could be sending as an iMessage and the other not in wifi/3G to pick it up. iMessage can be very tricky, I've a friend who has his iMessage set up on his iPhone with his email address, gets very confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

check how they have configured Imessage as you can tell it to use an email address, wherein they wont get a message but comes from an email address..

This was my prob, I could receive message but replying was not working

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Ok there is def somethng wrong with this persons phone, basically they cant receive long conversation texts, but can receive short 1 line texts, whats the issue here, very weird?

That's MMS.

SMS is limited to 160 characters. When you go over that amount or insert images, the phone will change the message type to MMS and send it like that.

Like I say above, MMS is very patchy in Ireland, even though it's more than 10 years old, and some people won't receive them at all, other times it can take days for the message to come through.

Disable MMS on your phone and enable iMessage and the texts should start going through fine.

If you're insistent on leaving MMS intact, then both of you need to contact your service providers and ask them to check the MMS provisioning on your accounts to ensure that you're set up to receive them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

seamus wrote: »
    SMS is limited to 160 characters. .

I've sent SMS with over 160 characters for years, the phones know how to split them up and reassemble them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

TBi wrote: »

I've sent SMS with over 160 characters for years, the phones know how to split them up and reassemble them.
    Yep my work Nokia 6300 allows 1000 characters and I regularly get messages that are broken into 2 or 3 pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sounds like an MMS issue.

Some phones send long texts as 2 seperate texts some send them as MMS. So if you have a problem with MMS, like 3G data disabled on the sim, (as I do) you won't get MMS.

TBi wrote: »
    It's an implementation thing. There's an SMS implementation where the phone splits up long SMSes into shorter messages and send them as a series of SMS. The phone which receives them then reassembles them on the far side.

To the best of my knowledge, the iPhone doesn't do this when sending, but it does support it for receiving messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

AFAIK Vodafone change over long message to MMS and then charge you for it. I don't think all operators do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

seamus wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge, the iPhone doesn't do this when sending, but it does support it for receiving messages.

Yup it does... else my bill would be very big. I have MMS turned on (though i never send any) and my bill doesn't show any charge for MMS. I have free SMS so i send a lot of messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement