Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should any power be going to the back wheel when the clutch is engaged?

• 19-02-2013 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

I had my bandit up on the centre stand tonight while adjusting the clutch cable and noticed when i dropped it into 1st still with the clutch engaged, power went to the wheel. If I'm on the bike I can still back the bike up while in gear with the clutch engaged so it's not that much power but the gear changes are a bit clunky so was thinking this might be the reason. I tried adjusting the cable to stop the wheel turning in 1st with clutch in but no luck.

Any suggestions??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Kido Fazer 1

Most bikes do that when the back wheel is off the ground. (centre stand/paddock stand)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Theres always a certain amount of drag in a clutch, the plates are only separated by a small amount and oil will tend to cause the friction between the driven plates and the friction plates.
    Leave the adjuster alone, if you try and adjust the freeplay out it will start to slip as the clutch heats up.
    Cold there should be 3mm or so of freeplay in the lever before it starts to declutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Theres always a certain amount of drag in a clutch, the plates are only separated by a small amount and oil will tend to cause the friction between the driven plates and the friction plates.
    Leave the adjuster alone, if you try and adjust the freeplay out it will start to slip as the clutch heats up.
    Cold there should be 3mm or so of freeplay in the lever before it starts to declutch.

Have about 10mm free play...i'll tighten it up. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

You should be able to stop the back wheel from spinning with your foot and pulling off on a cold wet clutch should be smooth and not jumpy.

Edit: Also engaging neutral should be easy. If you find it's hard and much easier to do it when the bike is rolling to a stop then ya have a clutch issue.

If like on my Honda Dullville you can't, then you may have an issue. I need to replace clutch plates and metal plates really soon :(

Advertisement