Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New provider Modem/Router - weak or no signal at other end of house!

Options
  • 19-02-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Ok - at the time I thought it was practical to put the modem in to a room closest to the panel on the outside wall to save cabling and save the landlord giving out about the wiring outside.

However now the signal doesn't reach the other side of the house. From either the main modem (wireless) or the netgear modem Ive plugged in (for the kids).

What are my options?

1. Ring them, and pay for an engineer to come in and do it the right way?
    2. Do that myself, and save or would I really save?
    3. Pull my hair out :(

I ve heard a signal booster could improve things? Do these exist for my situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Are both the modems wireless?
    What have you plugged the netgear into?
    Is the provider DSL or cable or fixed wireless or 3g?

If you have two wireless devices operating on the same channel in the same house then they will just interfere with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

FSL wrote: »
    Are both the modems wireless?
    What have you plugged the netgear into?
    Is the provider DSL or cable or fixed wireless or 3g?

If you have two wireless devices operating on the same channel in the same house then they will just interfere with each other.

Both Modems Wireless

Net gear was plugged into the main Satellite broadband modem (wireless). (provider - Permanet).

I was informed that they could interfere with eachother but they don't appear to dislike eachother.

Receiving the same amount of signal from both modems at various points in the house - so in effect it wouldn't matter which one I connected to - only having the second modem means I can turn off the kids access to wifi late at night if needs be and I can continue working off my own separate connection/modem.

Thanks for tips:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Strength and quality are not the same. Yes two similar routers adjacent are likely to show the same strength at various locations but if they are on the same channel they will interfere with each other. thus affecting quality.

On NetGear routers you can turn off internet access by time/ address. I did it when the children were younger.

Have since unplugged Netgear (pointless), and installed a wifi booster (repeater?). Im not impressed, but at least it gives a signal upstairs, yet I cant connect my iPad or iPhone to it in the sitting room :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

This is free , will help you get an idea of whats happening :

http://www.metageek.net/support/download-software/

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    This is free , will help you get an idea of whats happening :

http://www.metageek.net/support/download-software/

Thanks for that, will go read now - (time not on my side lately:o)

Advertisement