Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Eating for a Student

Options
  • 19-02-2013 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

So I've recently gotten back into the gym and am watching what I eat. I'm sick of eating unhealthy foods and want to have a better diet.

Since I am in college, I usually get my lunch from a place like Spar. My question is, is it possible to actually get anything healthy from the delis? I usually avoid the rolls, instead opting for a wrap, but how good are the ingredients those places use? What would you recommend having for lunch? I'm up near Bolton Street so are there any places around there that I can get a decent, nutritious meal from? If not, are there any cheap, easy and quick meals I can prepare at home to bring with me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Boil 6 eggs on Sunday evening and have 2 chopped up a day for lunch with chopped avocado, chopped tomato, shredded lettuce or any other range of salad ingredients. But on a little black pepper or go easy on salad dressing. Your getting protien, fats, fibre and its fresh and delicious.

Of course you have your porridge for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penzo

rolls themselves aren't *that* unhealthy, it's a lot about what you put into them.If you can do it like I do and avoid the butter or mayo you would do so much better.

what I do is go to lidl and just make my own(plain, but nice amount of protein) roll

baguette 40 cent, 100g pack of ham 90/1.10 cent, yoghurt 40 cent and banana or apple about 30 cent. fairly good for under two euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

I agree with above poster, go to aldi or lidl (lidl has really nice breads), get some lettuce, ham, cheese, it will be fresher than spar, less expensive and more healty since you can chose better bread. Spar is bad because you have no choice. The ham is prbably too salty, the cheese over-fatty etc.
    But if you're looking for different things you can go to Moore st. there's an indian there called deli o deli where you can get a ridiculously cheap vegan meal, gorgeous and you can put as much as you want on your plate. It's honestly one of the best indians in Dublin. The lady who cooks is really into healthy eating and she really knows her stuff. DOn't be put off by the vegan side (i'm a meat eater), this will fill you up!
    The Paris Bakery makes really nice sandwiches with fresh ingredients.
    But this area doesn't have much in the way of interesting healthy stuff, I used to work and live around there and was very frustrated by the difference between this side and the south side just across the river. Oh! Brother Hubbard has lovely things (soup, sandwhiches) on Capel St but it's a little pricey. Otherwise, also on capel st: there's a lunch deal in Soup Dragon, you get a filling soup, bread and fruit (don't know the price these days but it used to be really cheap)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

penzo wrote: »
    rolls themselves aren't *that* unhealthy, it's a lot about what you put into them.If you can do it like I do and avoid the butter or mayo you would do so much better.
    The bread is the worst part if a made up roll. If you we're aiming for high protein, having all those carbs is an awful waste.

OP, wraps are really not much different than bread. Especially if they are massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Mellor wrote: »
    The bread is the worst part if a made up roll. If you we're aiming for high protein, having all those carbs is an awful waste.

OP, wraps are really much different than bread. Especially if they are massive.

Much different in what way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I would say that wraps aren't much different to rolls. Usually have the same amount of calories as a slice of white bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

OP, wraps are really much different than bread. Especially if they are massive.

the bread police is everywhere these days!!!!:D

The_Gatsby wrote: »

Much different in what way?
    Sorry, meant to say not much different.
    the bread police is everywhere these days!!!!:D
    Yeah I know. Normally I'd be of the opinion that everyone can eat what they want. But the OP is clearly trying to avoid it and I wouldn't describe it as a high protein lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penzo

OP, wraps are really not much different than bread. Especially if they are massive.

If you are talking about a ham roll , then ye it's the worst part, but there are plenty of rolls that would contain worse stuff, and the amount of mayo and/or butter they sometimes put on could argue against that too.

Take in mind he's a student and hightlighted cheap and easy and quick, compared to what a student diet might consist of I dont think what I mentioned is that bad, nor would it really hold him back in making progress in the gym if the rest of his diet isn't terrible.

But I do agree that the idea that wraps are considered healthy is a myth.

penzo wrote: »
    If you are talking about a ham roll , then ye it's the worst part, but there are plenty of rolls that would contain worse stuff, and the amount of mayo and/or butter they sometimes put on could argue against that too.

Take in mind he's a student and hightlighted cheap and easy and quick, compared to what a student diet might consist of I dont think what I mentioned is that bad, nor would it really hold him back in making progress in the gym if the rest of his diet isn't terrible.

But I do agree that the idea that wraps are considered healthy is a myth.

Cheap, easy and quick was the idea! I picked up a few cans of tuna from Lidl so I'll mix it up with a bit of mayonnaise and a few veggies. Not sure if that'll fill me up so I might cook some pasta to go with it! That idea of buying stuff from Lidl sounds like a good one so might try that.

Another question, how bad is coleslaw? Obviously it contains a few veggies but I've heard it's also pretty fattening? Stay clear?

• Advertisement

There's nothing particularly bad about it, but it's high calorie. Most people would tend to eat too much of it, so unless you really know your portion sizes, I'd avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

So a wrap contains the same amount of calories as a slice of white bread? Considering a sambo contains two slices of white bread, a wrap starts off with half the amount of calories as a sandwich...

Maybe considering it healthy is a myth, but healthier than bread, definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Bateman wrote: »
    So a wrap contains the same amount of calories as a slice of white bread? Considering a sambo contains two slices of white bread, a wrap starts off with half the amount of calories as a sandwich...

Maybe considering it healthy is a myth, but healthier than bread, definitely

Two slices of white bread are about 170-180 calories a wrap runs about 170-180 calories so they are the same. In fact eating wraps may work out less healthy if the person believes that they have made a healthy choice they may feel, that they can afford that extra spoon of mayo or slice of cheese that they wouldn't have if they were having a sandwich.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I find a wrap to be less filling than two slices of bread and so I'd be more likely to want something else to eat afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

IMO a wrap is the same is bread.

every one is different but I actually find myself still hungry after eating a sandwich or wrap.
    A salad with plenty of veg , meat or fish is more satisfying for me.

Op, If you want to eat healthy I would avoid going to a shop everyday for your lunch. Get up a little earlier and make up a salad and bring it with you. More satisfying and you will also be saving yourself money!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Wraps are the work of the devil, so many people think it's a healthy option when it's not. You could make a big healthy substantial salad at home made with tuna, egg, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, beetroot with some light vinegarette and a small wholemeal roll and it would be satisfying.

Merkin wrote: »
    Wraps are the work of the devil, so many people think it's a healthy option when it's not. You could make a big healthy substantial salad at home made with tuna, egg, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, beetroot with some light vinegarette and a small wholemeal roll and it would be satisfying.

I've been doing exactly this! Can of tuna, half a carrot (grated), half a pepper (diced), various leaves and some balsamic vinegar! Then in another box I have some iceberg lettuce with some salami, tiny bit of mayo and a bit of salt and pepper. Bring a wholegrain roll with me and fill it up! That's enough for a 10-6 day in college until I can get home and cook some dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Another great option would be making homemade soup and bringing it in with you, especially nice when it's still so cold and you'd like something warm in your tummy.Really cheap and easy to make as well as being really nutritious!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Honestly if you're trying to save money just don't bother with it. In years 1 and 2 my diet was pretty dire as I cooked for myself. Loads of frozen pizzas, few microwave meals, the odd lasagne or shepards pie with crap mince, lots of fizzy drinks and squash.

Since then I cook for two (daww) and we spend quite a lot on food (~70 a week), proper dinners every day, good meat from the butchers etc. It is much better but only because I enjoy cooking and prefer the food, health wise it's made no difference whatsoever.

Could be different for other people I suppose. My metabolism is a bit nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnny-grunge

Apple and cinnemon flapjacks.

Healthy and nutritious.

Mix half a jar of honey with half a jar of peanut butter and a cup of boiling water. Add 1/4 cup of flour, a teaspoon of baking soda, a teaspoon of cinnemon and a pinch of salt. Stick it in the microwave on full for about a minute then give it a good mix. Mix in oats until you have a good thick mixture. Probably about 300grams of oats. Mix in one or two apples cut into small cubes.

Place the mixture into a baking tray and flatten it out so it's about 2cm thick and bake at around 180C for 15 - 20 minutes. When they're done cut them into rectangles with a pizza cutter.

Great for after a hard gym session or a breakfast on the go. High protein, high carb, some healthy fats. What more would ya need!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnny-grunge

Also, mix some cottage cheese with your tuna sald. Takes a bit of getting used to but I've grown to love it. The stuff is packed with protein. Couple that with the tuna and some veg and your onto a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Merkin wrote: »
    Another great option would be making homemade soup and bringing it in with you, especially nice when it's still so cold and you'd like something warm in your tummy.Really cheap and easy to make as well as being really nutritious!

Would second that.

Making your own soup is a really good way to have a hot, healthy, satisfying lunch that is cheap and easy to make. Perfect for when you're on a tight student budget.

Advertisement