Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to Killarney unsure about the diversHe

Options
  • 19-02-2013 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hey everone,

id appriciate your opinions on this.

Im going on a trip this weekend hopefully killarney.Im based in dublin.
    However the girls im going with want to rent a car. I dont drive myself however two of the girls do.

Just one thing, they are not from ireland and do not drive on the same side in their country so im worried about the long trip and will it b safe enough when they dont know the roads.

They have assured me they are very used to driving for long periods of time.

or can annyone suggest somewhere not as far but as nice visit for agroup of girls in there 20s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Killarney 4 hours (3/5 Motorway)

Galway in less than 3 hours (all Motorway)

Cork in less than 3 hours (all Motorway)

Killkenny 1 1/2 hours (all Motorway)

- take your pick !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Have you considered getting the train to Killarney?

Driving on the "wrong" side of the road can be stressful enough even before you take into account the length of time and the fact that you will be on unfamiliar roads will only increase the difficulties.

I had a friend who worked in a car rental company in Killarney and they were constantly dealing with tourists having minor tips and crashes on narrow Irish roads. The vast majority of the accidents werent serious but it was just a major nuisance for those involved.

A huge amount of them were related to banging/breaking wing mirrors on the non-drivers side due to a combo of the driver's width perception being screwed up by sitting on the "wrong" side in combination with narrow Irish roads. If you're friends do insist on driving be very aware when it comes to parking and especially when you are not on motorways.

Basically I'd imagine the odds are that you would be safe enough but it could be potentially be rather stressful if you are constantly worried about the drivers.

Killarney is a pretty long drive from Dublin if you plan on going down on Saturday and up on Sunday.

I would say that getting the train to Killarney would be far more enjoyable. It would mean that you could enjoy Killarney rather than arriving stressed and tired. Also it would mean that you could get the maximum amount of time out of Sunday and relax /even snooze on the train back to Dublin rather than having to deal with the hassle of driving back while being tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I have done it in other countries and found it not so bad a car would be good to have around killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I have done it in other countries and found it not so bad a car would be good to have around killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭olcod

Check out flights from Dublin to Kerry but personally id say your friends will be grand driving, the roads are great now from Kerry to Dublin compared to how they were a few years back :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement