Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog ear mites

• 19-02-2013 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hi my lab has got ear mites in one ear that I just can't seem to get rid of , they are not over bad but they are there I've done two lots of ear medicine from the vet but they still come back , has anyone got any home remedy they can suggest for this please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Has the vet confirmed that it's earmites? What medicines did he/she give you for it, and do you have other pets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

boomerang wrote: »
    Has the vet confirmed that it's earmites? What medicines did he/she give you for it, and do you have other pets?
    Oridermyl is the latest one she had , yep it's def ear mites

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've used Thornit with great success in the past for persistent ear mites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

My kitten had earmites, and we couldn't get to the vet for a few days after noticing them so I read online that you could use olive oil on cotton wool to clean the ears out. We did that a lot, then she got her ears syringed at the vets and we treated her and the other cat with the drops. Just try to keep cleaning your dogs ears out a couple of times a day. Those mites multiply fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Have you tried Canaural drops? Our vet prescribed them but they can also be bought in some pharmacies that sell pet products.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ElleEm wrote: »
    My kitten had earmites, and we couldn't get to the vet for a few days after noticing them so I read online that you could use olive oil on cotton wool to clean the ears out. We did that a lot, then she got her ears syringed at the vets and we treated her and the other cat with the drops. Just try to keep cleaning your dogs ears out a couple of times a day. Those mites multiply fast!

I resorted to thornit after a month of what the Op is using, cleared them up in about ten days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

also remember ear mites can survive for days away from the host so all bedding etc needs to be disenfected/washed i got a topical powder to treat mine some years ago but i cant remember the name the little skin tags are an ideal hideout for these little pests and need special attention had to apply it over 2 treatments to make sure any unhatched eggs were killed as well no problem since

Thanks guys I'm gonna buy thornit now and hope that will work , any advice on what I should wash the bedding in to kill them or will a boil wash do it??

Thanks guys I'm gonna buy thornit now and hope that will work , any advice on what I should wash the bedding in to kill them or will a boil wash do it??

boil wash done the trick for me

Boil wash should be fine.

Use the thornit on paws/feet as well especially if your dog has been scratching.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »

Boil wash should be fine.

Use the thornit on paws/feet as well especially if your dog has been scratching.

Thanks for the tip ill do that too, should I cover her paws after cos she will lick them , is it harmful if ingested do u know??

Thanks for the tip ill do that too, should I cover her paws after cos she will lick them , is it harmful if ingested do u know??

Not from what I recall.

Brilliant thanks for all the info ill report back once I've used the thornit for a few days fingers crossed :)

Brilliant thanks for all the info ill report back once I've used the thornit for a few days fingers crossed :)

Give it at least a week, keep an eye on the ear wax and keep the ears clean.

Stheno wrote: »
    Give it at least a week, keep an eye on the ear wax and keep the ears clean.

a little liquid paraffin on cotton wool is great to clean the outer ears dont pour it in now or anything just use it on cotton wool its great to soften wax and non irrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Epi-Otic is a fantastic ear cleaner - most vets sell this over the counter or you can get it online, about 12 euro a bottle which lasts a good while. 2 of my dogs were suffering with their ears some years ago and the vet kept giving Canuaural for ear mites - seemed to clear up but then shortly after would get irritated again. Brought them back to the vet (again) and got a different stand in vet -and she said they didnt have mites at all just waxy ears, gave me the Epi-Otic and we have never looked back. I just keep their ears clean now.

hi maggiepip

just checked mine this morn and they could do with a good deep ear canal clean is this sprayed in and left for a while before cleaning with cotton wool

thanks for the post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

jimf wrote: »
    hi maggiepip

just checked mine this morn and they could do with a good deep ear canal clean is this sprayed in and left for a while before cleaning with cotton wool

thanks for the post

Yeah, you just squirt a decent amount into the whole ear down the canal and massage it a little (dog will then vigorously shake head but thats ok:rolleyes:) then clean out the wax with cotton wool - I also put some of the solution onto the cotton wool too. The amount of gunk that can come out if their ears are very dirty is frightening! For a severe build up of wax you may have to clean daily for a few days (I had to do this especially with Pip my lab) then a few times a month for maintenance - its excellent stuff and safe as any excess solution just evaporates from the ears. Pip absolutely hates having her ears done - she sees the bottle coming out and goes running into hiding!

maggiepip wrote: »
    Yeah, you just squirt a decent amount into the whole ear down the canal and massage it a little (dog will then vigorously shake head but thats ok:rolleyes:) then clean out the wax with cotton wool - I also put some of the solution onto the cotton wool too. The amount of gunk that can come out if their ears are very dirty is frightening! For a severe build up of wax you may have to clean daily for a few days (I had to do this especially with Pip my lab) then a few times a month for maintenance - its excellent stuff and safe as any excess solution just evaporates from the ears. Pip absolutely hates having her ears done - she sees the bottle coming out and goes running into hiding!

ta for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Have you tried using advocate spot on as well? It kills ear mites along with other kind of mites, fleas, ticks and intestinal worms except tape worm, might be worth a shot to kill off the buggers before clearing them out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Have you tried using advocate spot on as well? It kills ear mites along with other kind of mites, fleas, ticks and intestinal worms except tape worm, might be worth a shot to kill off the buggers before clearing them out!

As does Stronghold, another spot-on. TBH I'm surprised to hear that people are experiencing chronic earmite infestations with their dogs. Advocate and Stronghold are both so effective, even if only applied once.

Hi guys got the thornit last week and an ear cleaner it's going brill really cleared up , thanks so much for all the recommendations ye r a great bunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Heskey1971

Hi

I have a St Bernard that had awful problems with her ears,they'd get full up with brown gunk and she would have to get put under anasthetic to clean them out.4 times in 18 months.

Every type of medicine was tried but didnt work until I was talking to someone in Maxi Zoo one day,she told me she read a report that some bigger dogs if allergic to chicken get ear infections/mites.we took her off the food that has chicken and she hasn't had an infection since,her ears are completely clean,she's as good as new.

Hope this helps

H

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Heskey1971

Sorry,

Forgot to say,no infection in 2.5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Pason

Could anyone recommend a good vet for dogs in the Longford /Westmeath area.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Pason

How do you use the Thornit in the ear because the stuff i got is quite grainy and would be afraid put it in my dogs ears .

Advertisement